Extra fuel - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Extra fuel

Other than the twisted throttle bottles and holders, and lonerockz giant tank, what do you guys use to carry extra fuel? And before you ask, yes it is necessary.

I tend to just wander around, and get myself into trouble with being lost and not having a gas station around. Rather than ruining all the fun of leaving the GPS at home and just going out on a ride to where ever the wind blows me to, I carry extra fuel. I just bungee corded 2 gallon gas tanks on the back of my old bike, but I wasn't quite the motorcycle rider I am today when I did that.

I want some sort of container (or containers . . .around 4 gallons worth) I can remove to fill, and remove to pour into the bike ( . . .no pumps or hoses run all over the bike). Some sort of detachable metal holder would be nice too.

I have an SW-MOTECH top rack, and will soon have GIVI 35 saddlebags. I'm a mechanic and can weld. I have a few ideas that I'm sketching, but I assume it has been done already and people out there know a lot more about this subject than I do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372

Last edited by Motopsycho; 05-12-2011 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Added links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 04:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 09:20 PM

WallyWorld 5 quarts. The rest came from the scrap bin at work

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 09:34 PM

Rotopax is great quality stuff.

**Sold**2008 Red Versys, Algard, LSL Frame Sliders, EvoTech Radiator guard, Givi screen, Givi V35 panniers, Moto Werks handlebar riser and footpeg lowering blocks, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Carbon Fiber FendaExtenda, Spools/Sliders front & rear
2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:55 PM

I'd rather put that canister in a topcase. So it's less likely to spill in a crash, and you're less likely to burn

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahwas View Post
I'd rather put that canister in a topcase. So it's less likely to spill in a crash, and you're less likely to burn
+1 on relocating that fuel from the side. Personally, I wouldn't ride with a plastic canister full of fuel on my left leg. I may be too cautious, but fire would be a serious concern.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahwas View Post
In a top case where fumes can accumulate? My top case has electricity in it. . . I would be more worried about that going off like a small bomb than having it by my leg in a crash.

IBA # 49372
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 10:02 PM

when I crash a gal of gas on the passenger peg will be the least of my probs

in my travels to less populated areas I've seen 100's of bikes with same setup

besides, the topcase is for my beer

the OP asked what you guys use to carry extra fuel

all I did was answer him
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post

IBA # 49372
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
when I crash a gal of gas on the passenger peg will be the least of my probs

in my travels to less populated areas I've seen 100's of bikes with same setup

the OP asked what you guys use to carry extra fuel

all I did was answer him
What does your holder bolt to?

IBA # 49372
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 10:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
What does your holder bolt to?
If you look at the last photo you can see it is bolted to the passenger foot pegs.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
If you look at the last photo you can see it is bolted to the passenger foot pegs.
Yeah, I saw that but I assume there is more than one 8mm bolt holding all that on

IBA # 49372
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 01:45 AM

Put the beer to the side of the bike, and you get aircooling. And it's more accessible

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
twin 6L containers in enclosed mounts. if you flip the bike upside down, you might find a circumstance where the containers could leak. nice to carry the weight of extra fuel down low.

Dave,
That is one FINE lookin' moto!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 01:15 PM

With Siyeh's setup, the gas will hit the pavement first, and it will probably grind through the plastic container. Instant fireball.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 01:28 PM

JDRocks,
That is the best looking Versy's I've seen yet for the style and setup I like personally.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Thought about this http://www.amazon.com/Reda-Portable-Motorcycle-Gas-Can/dp/B003WHBVDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305660215&sr=8-1 in the soft saddle bags but just not to comfortable carring fuel on the bike if i did i would go the rotopax route

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
With Siyeh's setup, the gas will hit the pavement first, and it will probably grind through the plastic container. Instant fireball.
Well then it will cauterize the road rash.

IBA # 49372
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode