Brake and gear lever question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Brake and gear lever question

I have just installed the foot lowering pegs from Moto Werk. I like the new height, but am having problems with the positioning of both feet.

The new kit now limits the inside positioning of my feet and and leave me with little room to access the levers. I am forcing my feet in, in order to reach the brake and the gear lever. Has any one faced a similar problem? What do you recommend?

Are you aware of any extenders for both levers? I think if they were about 1 inch wider on both sides the feeling fore me would be a lot better.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Luiz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:45 AM

Luiz, I think you either didn't install the lowering blocks correctly or didn't move the brake and shift levers enough to compensate for the new position of the footpegs. I have the lowering blocks and they do not significantly change the distance between the footpeg and the respective lever. There will be a small change due to the fact that your foot is not at the pivot point for the lever, but they have enough range of adjustment that it makes little difference after you set them up at the right height.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Thank you, Gustavo. I am not referring to the length but the width. I would like the shift lever to be wider to accomodate the added distance when installing the lowering blocks. I find that my feet are now further out (away from the bike) and that is why I would like a lever that is wider.

Is welding one on my own my only possibility?

Thoughts?

Luiz
Luiz

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 02:47 AM

I am still not sure why you are having this issue, the lowering blocks do not change the position of the footpeg with relation to the levers. Unless you had this problem before with the footpegs in the stock position, installing the lowering blocks should not change how far in your feet are.

Does your installation look like this?

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 09:39 AM

if you notice in your pics the blocks bring the pegs closer to the end of the levers ! i think he means he wants longer levers, not wider !
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovy1 View Post
if you notice in your pics the blocks bring the pegs closer to the end of the levers ! i think he means he wants longer levers, not wider !
The picture is deceiving, the blocks drop the pegs straight down and no closer to the end of the levers
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 11:59 AM

Try bending out the lever using a pipe wrench.
and you have to readjust the gear and rear brake to suit you best.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Thankks for trying to understand. My installation was professionally made and looks exactly like Gustavo's picture. Let me try to explain in different terms:

Before lowering....my feet were lying half on the rubber platform and half of the area right next to the rubber (I don't know what the right name for that piece would be....where the peg attaches to the bike). Now that its lowered there is a new physical limitation.

My left foot probably naturally turns outward,and i find myself forcing it in to engage the lever up and down. That is why I am saying I would like a lever to be WIDER and lot LONGER. The distance between the peg and the lever is the same and OK.....I just need the lever to be further away from the bike in order to naturally push down and pull up.

Thank you all for trying to help.

Regards from Sao Paulo!!!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 11:45 AM

Garage
I think that he is saying that is feet were sitting partly on the bracket that hold the peg, instead of is feet fully on the peg ... And now, since the block is taking some foorprint on the bracket, he has to put is feet fully on the peg

@ Lambar
Well, you can't have the cake AND the icing ...

Are you scared of putting your feet fully on the peg ?
Do you have enormously wide feet ?

LOP
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

You got it.....

No, I am not scared. I guess my left foot points slightly outward and I am now having to force it is more to reach the lever.

Now the good news, I went to a bike shop today and they will weld a piece of metal that will extend the lever one inch out. That will solve my problem.

I promise to post a picture of the final result.

Regards from São Paulo
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 09:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambar View Post
You got it.....

No, I am not scared. I guess my left foot points slightly outward and I am now having to force it is more to reach the lever.

Now the good news, I went to a bike shop today and they will weld a piece of metal that will extend the lever one inch out. That will solve my problem.

I promise to post a picture of the final result.

Regards from São Paulo
If you get wider peg, you will loose ground clearance when turning
Since the peg are already lowered by the motowerk block, this is starting to be low, maybe intrusively low ...

My 2 cents

LOP
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

As promised, here are pictures pre and post modification. For me these worked very well......it might as well for you. Here is what I did:

I had these professionally welded at a local (São Paulo) bike shop. On the gear lever, a small extension was added and is unnoticeable. On the brake pedal, an entirely different head (from a different bike) was welded over the stock one, providing a wider and larger brake area.

Now I feel my ffet have the same room I previously had before lowering the pegs, only now at a more comfortable height and riding position!

Please excuse me for the poor pictures taken with my Blackberry.

Luiz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00062-20110508-2135.jpg (167.4 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00068-20110510-1917.jpg (177.0 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00069-20110510-1918.jpg (158.1 KB, 188 views)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hi, I searched to see if there was some way to make the rear brake and/or gear shift lever wider. Like this original poster, I tend to pronate (toes point outwards when standing) my feet and find I it a little bit of work to turn my toes inward to apply the brake (not sure why I don't notice it much on shift lever). Really don't want to have welding done. So, 1) have any new products come out since this post that would bolt on and widen things and 2)can you really put a wrench on these levers and bend them outward a little??? I think being an adventure bike the designers erred on keeping the levers near the frame to protect them. I don't really need that as I will be about 90% pavement and maybe 10% dirt or gravel roads.
Thanks for any help, Chuck

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 02:42 PM

Garage
You can bend them with caution. They are mild steel and bend fairly easily, however if you are not confident doing it your self I suggest take it to a shop. (because you are asking I'm guessing you are not confident)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode