New Bike - Burning Smell? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Bike - Burning Smell?

Hey all. I just bought a 2011 versys. I am up to 150 miles after a few rides, but I notice that the engine smells like something is burning a bit after I am done riding. I figure that it is because its a new engine or something, but can someone confirm that this is normal?

I am not riding the bike hard, I attempt to keep it below 4k most of the time to follow the normal break in procedures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
There might've been some oily film on the muffler underneath. Chain lube can also be flung onto it... You can start proressively increasing your revs now.

How's your engine oil level, with engine cooled off and bike held up balanced?

Last edited by invader; 04-29-2011 at 10:34 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:45 PM

Yep my '11 has the new engine smell. It's not a old burning oil smell so don't worry about it. I gave up on the factory breakin at 400 k's. Too slow.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berek View Post
Yep my '11 has the new engine smell. It's not a old burning oil smell so don't worry about it. I gave up on the factory breakin at 400 k's. Too slow.
Good to know the first 100 miles I was around 3-5.5k because the stupid dealer said 6k and i didnt ready the manual I am a bit scared but I think ill be ok. Luckly a lot of roads near me are windy so 50 mph is sufficient
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:59 PM

Yes, I had the same smell w/ the Versys and it reminded me of the several new bikes I have bought over the years. It's really a wonderful smell, better than new car smell (no buyers remorse) and distinctly "new motorcycle". Sadly, after about 1000 miles it is pretty much gone. My hunch is it has something to do with hot aluminum and paint.

Tom
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Many of us gave it a good Motoman style break-in. I did it progressively, doing acceleration runs up to redline by 100 miles, and an oil change at 140 miles at end of 1st day...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Many of us gave it a good Motoman style break-in. I did it progressively, doing acceleration runs up to redline by 100 miles, and an oil change at 140 miles at end of 1st day...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Read it, i dont trust it as I am not knowledgeable in the subject i know people had success but im a baby when it comes to my monies. Ill attempt to follow the manual
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 01:22 AM

Mine smelled, too, but now I'm at about 250 miles and its pretty much disappeared.

I've been following the owner's manual break-in theories, but have strayed beyond the 4K rpms, just because I couldn't help it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 05:00 AM

Mine smelled when new, especially in rain. I noticed when stuck at traffic lights more than anything when steam would rise up between the tank and dash. It was a bit off-putting at first, but nothing broke so I figured it's just the radiator coating settling in or something.

It still does it slightly after 18,000 kms. When I wash the bike I spray the hose a fair bit through the radiator to clean out anything that might burn on. Doesn't seem to make any difference.

You can help make Clem a household name

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 05:45 AM

lol theres no way to go 60 and keep the rpms low... dont the stock muffler have some sort of cat built into it maybe thats where some smell comes from

Last edited by elton; 04-30-2011 at 05:47 AM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the responses. It makes a new Versys owner feel a bit more confident!

I have a task to attempt to put as close to 1000 miles on the bike before June 8th as i am going to a motorcycle rally (Americade) in lake George NY and I need to have that rev limit gone!

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post
Read it, i dont trust it as I am not knowledgeable in the subject i know people had success but im a baby when it comes to my monies. Ill attempt to follow the manual
IMO Motoman’s recommendation of the initial high load/hard acceleration (high chamber pressure to seat the rings against the freshly honed cylinder walls) and crisp deceleration (to vacuum debris out of the combustion chambers) makes perfect sense — but I have yet to see ANYONE (including Motoman) provide any logic to support redlining the engine before putting an adequate number of miles on it (as per the factory recommendation).

Just because some – or even many – folks have done it without a problem means nothing. The engines are NOT built identically... they are all assembled within a range of tolerances (sometimes not even within factory specs) and redlining an engine whose bearing clearances might be a tad too tight is just taking a pointless and unnecessary risk.

There is a reason that Kawasaki – the engineers who designed it and the company who warrantees it – specifies the break in period.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 11:52 AM

I don't know about Kawasaki, but KTM do two full power, too the redline dyno pulls before the bike leaves the factory. But they still recommended the same break in as Kawi. The motoman way makes perfect sense to me, and is what I have done with my new machine. Lots of accelerating to 2/3rpm followed by throttle chop and coast. The coasting is to create a vacuum which helps pull the rings against the cylinder wall, and by 200km you could feel that the motor had broken in significantly. KTM uses a break in oil, so I did not change it early.

A babying run in will always ensure there is a coating of oil between the rings and cylinder wall, virtually guaranteeing that the rings will never fully seat as the hone marks will round off as opposed to wear down, leaving micro droves on the cylinder walls.

**X2 on water making the bike smell. It always smelled when driving in the rain.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.

Last edited by Red Herring; 04-30-2011 at 04:31 PM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 12:23 PM

My bike had a popcorn type smell when new. My SV650 also had that new motor smell. Proper break in would've been dangerous on the streets of Chicago and I've seen too many motors that didn't follow break in procedures and do just fine.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:07 PM
djg

I also noticed a smell. It is gone now. This is the first new bike for me.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 10:19 PM

Some burn off of oil, water on the hot exhaust.

Good rides.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:25 AM

About a decade ago a Porsche dealer told me break-in was to run at the torque peak where the engine isn't being tasked that hard. Dont know if this has merit or not...
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 01:21 AM

I worked at a Porsche dealer in Colorado Springs during the 1980s. The Audi and Porsche Pikes Peak Hill Climb racing team from Germany used our service dept to ready and test run their cars. After work we would go out for a few beers. The factory engineers told us many times " I don't know why you Americans baby your cars, the manufacturers break in period was 90% for the new driver to get used to the car, after about 10 miles the engine is broken in, just drive the damn thing. I've owned many cars and motorcycles over the years and I never had the patience to "break-in" a new engine. I wanted to see what they can do, there are many places where 100+ mph was easy to run them at. South Park off of Wilkerson pass in Colorado is a straight run for about 18 miles and no traffic or cops. Back to the point I never had any engine fail, burn oil or not run better than similar vehicles that were babied. Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by Nick; 05-06-2011 at 10:07 AM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 11:38 AM

Every once and a while I get the smell.... at 10,000 miles - nothing to worry about.

Foo Fighter Rider
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 01:06 PM

Back to the burning smell...

It's called cosmoline. It is liberally applied to the bikes prior to shipment to prevent rust. What's not washed off is burned off as the bike goes through its heat cycles early in life.

Nothing to worry about.

BTW, break in discussions are just like oil, tire, and insurance discussions.

Everyone has a story and a favorite!

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode