Chain oil alternatives - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Chain oil alternatives

Thinking about the small mess the chain oil does around on the rear rim.
Using a scottoiler with 80W-90 gear oil. Works well but seeking alternatives.

Any thoughts about chain saw oil? I seen my dad use his stihl chainsaw and the saw chain oil is pretty tacky. Idea is less flinging and keep the chain cool.
Problem is that this oil also attract and stick muck on the chain.
Ran into this article at http://www.ta-deti.de/ta/chainsaw.html

Thanks for your thoughts.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:46 PM

Steven, I would test the oil if it is O-Ring safe first. Get a normal o-ring and soak in the oil over night and see if it does expand (if it does, it's no good). It would be useful to have another similar o-ring as reference. I've seen heavier grade gear oil, like a SAE140, if my memory serves me right.

I am using 80W90 gear oil also and manually applied to the chain. Once every full tank is done, I would apply oil on the o-rings and rollers completely. Between the next fuel intake, if I see the rollers are a little dry, I would apply on the rollers at the lower chain side (& not every rollers), right before the chain enters the rear sprocket for a forward motion. I find that with this method, the oil is well distributed after a ride and does not cause the oil to fling out so much. Scott Oiler are not cheap.

Anyway, I am thinking of using the DuPont Teflon Lube spray which is O-ring safe the next time. Found them in ACE Hardware at QueensBay Mall, selling for RM26. It has got good reviews.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 10:03 PM

Talking Dupont Teflon Multi-Use

I have been using Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Dry,Wax Lubricant in the 120ml liquid squeeze bottle on my last 3 bikes. It dries, does not collect dirt/dust/etc, and does not fly off and soil your bike, wheel, rim, or anything else. Also easy to apply without creating a mess on the wheel/rim/floor. Small size is also easy to pack on you bike.
It is also not very expensive.

ďDonít bother me with DETAILS!Ē

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 12:24 AM

Maxima chain wax. sprays on, dries . . .well . . .dry. Doesn't fling off. you can rub your finger on the chain and it feels like you rubbed your finger on a candle. Works great, moderately repels water.

IBA # 49372
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Dupont was rated number 1 by WebBikeWorld but is not available where I live. My favourite so far is the Maxima Chain Wax. No fling off once it cures/hardens and does not attract a lot of road grime like oils and greases do.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-29-2011 at 12:48 AM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing.

Using Acumen Automatic Oiler and the comes with refill cans. But use manual oiling in between rides and the chain oiler is for touring duty only. Refill can are expensive.

http://www.acumen-electronics.co.uk/...Anodised_79002
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 04:05 AM

I like using Maxima's Syn Chain Guard. Unsurpassed chain ptotection, and is easy to clean compared to the chain wax that builds up a tough coating everywhere.

http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/in...products_id=29

I carry some excellent Amsoil semi-synthetic bar & chain oil in a 100 ml squeeze bottle. I pay just over $5 per quart total on my orders through Woods Bros. Racing Amsoil with secret promo code... It would be great for auto oiler systems as well.

http://www.woodsbrosracing.com/amsoil/abc.htm

http://www.syntheticoildistributor.c...wnload/abc.pdf

Last edited by invader; 04-29-2011 at 07:44 AM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 07:28 AM

Chain life is subjective just like tires but I would like to know how often you lube and adjust the chain ? I have been using Repsol chain lube every 800 miles or so and I have adjusted the chain once so far in about 5000 miles. It is due to get adjusted now though.

I like the Repsol but will probably switch over to something else when this can is gone.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Here's what DID says on lubing the chain:

I'm looking at chain oil alternatives because I'm stuck with the scottoiler. I'm lazy

Attached is also DID chain manual.

for the replies.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DID manual.pdf (1.04 MB, 352 views)

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
where can I find Dupont Teflon in Canada or on the internet?

Versys 2015 Green
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:10 PM

I donít know if you have them up in Canada but FWIW, in the US I get it at Lowes.

If you Google ďDupont Teflon Multi-Use LubricantĒ youíll find a slew of places.

Here it is at http://www.amazon.com/Dupont-Multi-Use-Lubricant-oz-Spray/dp/B000GL19TY.

BTW, I use the spray when Iím in my garage (with a couple of pieces of cardboard to catch the overspray & drip) but itís also available in a small squeeze bottle for on-the-road use.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:30 PM

DuPont's Teflon™ Multi-Use Lubricant is in fact the same as DuPont's Teflon™ Chain-Saver Lubricant (86% volatiles).

http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubr...ubricants.html
http://msds.dupont.com/msds/pdfs/EN/...2f8061fd03.pdf
http://msds.dupont.com/msds/pdfs/EN/...35802b4fc7.pdf

It should be available at Canadian Lowes stores: http://www.lowes.ca/Locator/Default.aspx

An excellent internationally available option is Finish Line's Dry Teflon Lube chain lubricant with synthetic oils. It contains no carcinogenic or hazardous volatiles such as naphta used in Dupont's. Available in 2oz or 4oz squeeze bottle, 8oz or 12oz aerosol spray, and in 32oz. quart or 1 gallon jug.

http://www.finishlineusa.com/product...-plus-lube.htm
http://www.finishlineusa.com/product...es.htm#ceramic

http://www.triboutique.ca/Finish-Lin...fl_drylube.htm
http://theconsumerlink.com/FinishLine/list/lubricant/11

Last edited by invader; 04-29-2011 at 09:46 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
Maxima chain wax. sprays on, dries . . .well . . .dry. Doesn't fling off. you can rub your finger on the chain and it feels like you rubbed your finger on a candle. Works great, moderately repels water.
+1

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 03:23 AM

DuPont Teflon

+1 on the DuPont Teflon Lube spray.
I used everything else before.
For the last 3 years I'm using in all my bikes the DuPont Teflon, is just perfect.
I lube it every +/-300 miles and the chain stays clean & dry and absolutely no residue & crap on the rear wheel, etc.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Dupont teflon on my chains. Put it on after a ride and let the bike sit overnight.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 04:25 PM

Some time ago I was reading about the same... some people recommends to use just WD-40 because it cleans the chain and protects it. If the chain have O'Rings (as the Versys chain) you just need to keep it clean and protected.
I take out all the wax and dirt from my chain and apply WD-40. The chain looks very clean but I don't like the noise it makes... looks like those waxy lubs like Dupont's you mentioned (or the BelRay I was using) "coats" the chain and make it more silent (besides protect it from external agents).
This is an advantage against WD-40. I already ordered in Amazon some Dupont Chain lubricants and cleaners, I just have to wait until it arrives to Peru!
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Here's what DID says on lubing the chain:

I'm looking at chain oil alternatives because I'm stuck with the scottoiler. I'm lazy

Attached is also DID chain manual.

for the replies.
You can use chainsaw bar & chain oil in your Scottoiler...

According to Versys service manual:

Drive Train
Drive Chain Lubrication Condition Inspection
•If a special lubricant is not available, a heavy oil such as SAE 90 is preferred to a lighter oil because it will stay on the chain longer and provide better lubrication.
•If the chain appears especially dirty, clean it before lubrication.

CAUTION
The O-rings between the side plates seal in the lubricant between the pin and the bushing. To avoid damaging the O-rings and resultant loss of ubricant, observe the following rules.
Use only kerosene or diesel oil for cleaning an O -ring drive chain. Any other cleaning solution such as gasoline or trichloroethylene will cause deterioration
and swelling of the O-ring. Immediately blow the chain dry with compressed air after cleaning. Complete cleaning and drying the chain within 10 minutes.

Last edited by invader; 05-30-2011 at 05:24 PM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
... a heavy oil such as SAE 90 is preferred to a lighter oil because it will stay on the chain longer and provide better lubrication.
ēIf the chain appears especially dirty, clean it before lubrication.
I use old oil from the engine (I take a bit in a jar when I change oil) and apply it by a brush.
I use in alternative a specific clear spray (PBR).
I apply before the chain became dry or dirty. The chain must always appear just a bit wet.
My chains had have long life.

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 11:03 AM

There are more opinions on chain lube than there are people on this planet. As with motor oil do whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

I personally go with 80W-90 brush and wipe option every 300-500 miles and hit the chain with kerosene and a scrub brush every 5000 or so.

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 10:41 AM

I accidentally found a pretty good chain cleaner recently. After adjusting chain tension I noticed a squeaking noise coming from the front sprocket area. I removed the cover and found a huge build-up of greasy black crud surrounding the sprocket. I ran out of WD-40 cleaning this mess off and while looking around my garage noticed a couple cans of lighter fluid. In looking at the cans I was surprised to find out that this lighter fluid was just naptha. I remember using naptha as a cleaner back as a helicopter mechanic in the Natl Guard so I thought why not. It worked really well and I was able to get the front sprocket area very clean with it. After, I sprayed the crap out of the area with dupont teflon lube, along with the whole chain, and no more squeaking noise.
After the fact I started to worry that naptha wasn't an appropriate choice for cleaning an o-ring chain, but subsequent online research seems to indicate that naptha is perfectly alright for chains and is even the main ingredient in some commercial chain cleaners. It seemed to work better than WD-40 for cleaning, but I suppose one use hardly constitutes a rigorous test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode