Rear tire size - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rear tire size

I know, I know, another tire thread...

Has anyone run the Mich Anakee 2, 150/70-17, on the rear of the Versys? I tried searching and didn't come up with much. I'm trying to get more of a DS set up going, and I don't really want to put a Distanzia or MT60 on the rear due to limited mileage. How did it handle on dirt? street? What kind of mileage did you get?

Other suggestions for a DS rear. And no, I don't really want to run the Shinko 705. To much negative feedback.

On the front I'm probably just going to run a distanzia or MT60, I really don't want to kill my cornering with a rear tire on the front.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 01:44 PM

Any pointers to negative feedback for 705s? I have been running on them for about 1 month and I am more than happy so far.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnedstar View Post
Any pointers to negative feedback for 705s? I have been running on them for about 1 month and I am more than happy so far.
I think Dejavu is referring to this thread on ADV-rider, among others.

There were delamination problems with the bias-ply version of the Shinko 705. Most Shinko 705s sold now are radial, which do not have this problem.

People also comment on the unusual "feel" of the tire that almost everyone has to get used to and some never appreciate.

Most people agree that the tire grips well, even though it does not feel great.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Here's one on the V forum Link

It's not to say that they are all bad, and the new ones might be great, it's just not a tire I'm interested in at this point in time. Not trying to bash them at all.

I'm more interested in:
1. Feedback on the Anakee 2
2. How a 150/70-17 handles as a rear tire
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
I think Dejavu is referring to this thread on ADV-rider, among others.

There were delamination problems with the bias-ply version of the Shinko 705. Most Shinko 705s sold now are radial, which do not have this problem.

People also comment on the unusual "feel" of the tire that almost everyone has to get used to and some never appreciate.

Most people agree that the tire grips well, even though it does not feel great.
I'm running with a bias ply on front (radial was not available in 120/90-17). Crossing fingers, hopefully will not have to deal with delamination. Thx for clarifying.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Loved the way they handled on my KLR UNTIL the rear started de-laminating along 12 of 17 tread blocks. Can't say if it was bias or radial....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 11:47 AM

you want cheap you get cheap.

dont skimp on tires.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 08:30 PM

I have a Metzeler Tourance 150/70-17r on the rear and it handles just fine. At first, I was uncertain about running a tire that wasn't the official size. Then I saw that many others on this forum have done it and took the plunge. There was nothing to worry about.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarrior View Post
you want cheap you get cheap.

dont skimp on tires.
The Anakee 2 isn't really a cheap tire. I don't understand what you're saying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothercannon View Post
I have a Metzeler Tourance 150/70-17r on the rear and it handles just fine. At first, I was uncertain about running a tire that wasn't the official size. Then I saw that many others on this forum have done it and took the plunge. There was nothing to worry about.
Cool. Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu View Post
The Anakee 2 isn't really a cheap tire. I don't understand what you're saying?
opps sorry I miss read a post. I thought you were asking about shinkos.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 10:09 AM

Yeah, a lot of people have put on the 150 rear due to the lack of DS rubber for the 160. No Problems reported. Also the skinner tire is probably a better choice for off-pavement, less float.
The Distanzia gets lumped in with the Tourance and the Annakee, but GS guys I know say it offers way less grip. I've never run one, but had Annakees on the KLR (liked!) and ran a Tourance rear on my TDM a few times.
The Pirelli Scorpion Trail is now available in stock sizes for the V. I just had a set mounted up this week and scrubbed the new off yesterday. They feel great but not near as chunky as the others. Pretty butch for a street tire though. Also available in the 150 for the rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode