Extra Electrical Connectors - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Extra Electrical Connectors

There are a few extra connectors on the bike. There are three under the seat. One looks like a serious power connector. The other three are on the left side of the bike next to the radiator.

Underseat connectors.

Connectors next to the radiator.

I haven't got a 2011 Maintenance Manual yet. Could someone identify them?

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Take your VOM meter and check voltage. I'm sure they MUST be grounds, or else they'd be 'shielded', or else they'd cause a short when they touched some metal.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 11:10 AM

The cables next to the radiator are 2 earth's (black/yellow) and 5amp switched feed. It is linked to the relay plug (no relay fitted as standard) that should be next to these cables. The fuse is the awkward one under the seat. You will need to get a relay if you want to use these feeds for accessories Kawa charge a fortune for it but I got one for less than 5 ($8USD) from ebay - search Omron 27002. Plug it straight into the plug and attach your accessory to the cables, job done.

Someone here posted a guide and electrical schematic - search 2010 aux wiring

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 11:43 AM
DR_

Some of them are likely for unused items like o2 sensor and ABS, which the US doesn't get.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 12:36 PM

tony, thanks for bringing this up. I have been looking at these for the last week and wondering what they are for.

so these are accessorie connections that i can get a relay and use for extra lights, heated gear, etc?

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:20 PM

Are they on the 07-09 models?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 08:12 PM

I swear I've seen a thread about these electrical connections on this forum before.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:50 PM

I do know of the rectangular 4-pin connector next to the Radiator. Check my siggy for the link to it. I connect a 12V Cig plug socket to it.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stotham View Post
The cables next to the radiator are 2 earth's (black/yellow) and 5amp switched feed. It is linked to the relay plug (no relay fitted as standard) that should be next to these cables. The fuse is the awkward one under the seat. You will need to get a relay if you want to use these feeds for accessories Kawa charge a fortune for it but I got one for less than 5 ($8USD) from ebay - search Omron 27002. Plug it straight into the plug and attach your accessory to the cables, job done.

Someone here posted a guide and electrical schematic - search 2010 aux wiring
That would be great to be able to hook up driving lights with those cables. Thanks for the info.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 09:13 AM

yea 2damax basically used the bottom two holes (if held with the way he shows in his thread) as an accessory power source. I'm doing the same with a cig lighter power source this weekend...

thanks for all the info,, lol if it wasnt for curious people like yall we would all be driving around with that useable stuff just dangle'in around right in front of us

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 07:42 PM
ABR

I know this is an old thread but it relates to the question I want to ask, so...

I'm too lazy to get a relay so I hooked up my GPS to the "relay switch" pins in the front connector, so I'd have switched power. (Instead of getting a relay to switch the output from the other pins on and off.) It seems to work, but are there any disadvantages of doing this? Is the current over the relay switch lines weaker, or is drawing it going to harm some other system on the bike?

(2011 Versys)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stotham View Post
You will need to get a relay if you want to use these feeds for accessories Kawa charge a fortune for it but I got one for less than 5 ($8USD) from ebay - search Omron 27002. Plug it straight into the plug and attach your accessory to the cables, job done.
Thanks for the scoop on the Omron!

By the way, the smaller bullet connector under your seat is the one you can jump to get the FI codes. See this thread, Invader's post (#6).

Last edited by vospertw; 06-21-2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: added text
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode