Replacing headlamp bulbs? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Replacing headlamp bulbs?

Hi all, i need to replace the headlamp bulbs. Can you please explain to me how this is done? Many thanks.

P.S. I love my Versys...!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 03:03 PM

Search button. Lot's of headlight stuff to be found in here. Now get after it.

/neil
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 09:53 PM

It is easy, but you have to remove the fairings and cowling around the headlight. There are bolts on either side of the headlight housing. Remove the nuts. There are two more bolts on either side at the bottom. Remove those bolts and the housing will be loose. Disconnect all four electrical connectors ( they are color coded so it would be almost impossible to put them back on wrong). I have attached the pages from the service manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf headlights.pdf (195.3 KB, 2937 views)

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 12:13 AM

no you do not!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
It is easy, but you have to remove the fairings and cowling around the headlight. There are bolts on either side of the headlight housing. Remove the nuts. There are two more bolts on either side at the bottom. Remove those bolts and the housing will be loose. Disconnect all four electrical connectors ( they are color coded so it would be almost impossible to put them back on wrong). I have attached the pages from the service manual.
If you are your hands are limber enough and not ape mits then there are no tools required. I wear a med size glove and had no probs swapping out the bulbs once i figured out that the lights are sping clipped in!! from the seat side there is a retainer clip that is under the rubber grommet-pop the right side out and pull out the light. The wire harness plug and grommet need removed first. Should take maybe 15min to swap both. If you have ape mitts then procced to remove fairings.

2008 Versys
Muzzy Exhaust-race core!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgraded Kawi Windshield
Madstadd Bracket
Fiamm 132 db low note horn
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Osram Hyper 65 h7 lights

Kawi/Givi V35 Bags
Shad SH-29 Top Case
SW-Motech Quick release Brackets
Sw-Motech Alu-Rack
Garmin GPSMap 60csx

Joe Rocket Manta Tankbag-Red
Kawi Tank Protector
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
THanks a million, thats great help. Probably putting in the brighter bulbs since I have to replace the blown bulbs. Just on a side issue, voltage regulator went on my V, water got into it and corroded the terminals. Just a heads up 'cause I am not sure if this is a general problem with the V but I got mine replaced under warranty and the mechanic said he would be looking out for this woth other V's in for a service.

Thanks again, recommend any particular type of bulb?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 12:06 PM

Osram hyper 65 H7

Quote:
Originally Posted by epollard74 View Post
THanks a million, thats great help. Probably putting in the brighter bulbs since I have to replace the blown bulbs. Just on a side issue, voltage regulator went on my V, water got into it and corroded the terminals. Just a heads up 'cause I am not sure if this is a general problem with the V but I got mine replaced under warranty and the mechanic said he would be looking out for this woth other V's in for a service.

Thanks again, recommend any particular type of bulb?
Go with the osram sylvania hyper 65 h7- Very bright, probably 10 times more light than my stockers. Not too many flashes if adjusted right either. Technicaly off road only-but I have a freind who is a state trooper and he says go for the saftey of lighting.

2008 Versys
Muzzy Exhaust-race core!!

Upgraded Kawi Windshield
Madstadd Bracket
Fiamm 132 db low note horn

Osram Hyper 65 h7 lights

Kawi/Givi V35 Bags
Shad SH-29 Top Case
SW-Motech Quick release Brackets
Sw-Motech Alu-Rack
Garmin GPSMap 60csx

Joe Rocket Manta Tankbag-Red
Kawi Tank Protector
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 04:35 PM

I agree with both! The OSRAM bulbs are awesome, I added one for the low beam about a month ago and it makes a big difference over the Sylvania Halogen bulbs and a huge difference over the stock bulbs.

As far as replacement I wear an XL glove so I just couldn't get enough of my hands in there to avoid removing everything.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 11:11 PM

There may be many threads on bulb replacement but this one comes up first as the most visited even though it is quite old. So I will leave my comment here despite bringing back an old thread. I changed out both my bulbs today and went with the OSRAM 65W as I read about here and elsewhere. I wear a large size glove but had no particular difficulty replacing both bulbs without removing anything. Whole job with both bulbs maybe 10 minutes. The key is orienting the new bulb with the notch pointed vertically. I had to figure that out but once you do that everything just snaps back in easy peasy.

Don't know how much brighter I will notice these bulbs to be, but figured what the heck. I live in one of the darkest places in the US, between latitude and clouds. Need all the light I can get.

2009 Versys 16K

We sit together the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by salishversys View Post
There may be many threads on bulb replacement but this one comes up first as the most visited even though it is quite old. So I will leave my comment here despite bringing back an old thread. I changed out both my bulbs today and went with the OSRAM 65W as I read about here and elsewhere. I wear a large size glove but had no particular difficulty replacing both bulbs without removing anything. Whole job with both bulbs maybe 10 minutes. The key is orienting the new bulb with the notch pointed vertically. I had to figure that out but once you do that everything just snaps back in easy peasy.

Don't know how much brighter I will notice these bulbs to be, but figured what the heck. I live in one of the darkest places in the US, between latitude and clouds. Need all the light I can get.

Been running the Osrams for a few years now. Really like them but when i need more light these do the trick....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lkD...prLweRxxF1lSYb

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salishversys View Post

Same goes for me, the first time i had to change my own bulbs it took me close to an hour including removing the panels and whatnots.

the second time, i just slot my hand in between openings without taking off the panels.

personally i do not find 65w osram to be marvelous improvement though. perhaps slightly better than the stocker, but nothing much to shout about.

if you do want more lights, do consider adding in auxiliary lights like what weljo suggested. whether to go halogen or LED, well that's another topic to discuss altogether but trust me, if you want more lights, ADDING auxiliary lights are whole lot better than just swapping bulbs.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 10:05 AM

I've had nothing but problems with the Osrams. Every set I put in has the filament break within 30 days. Low or High Beam.. it didn't matter.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 12:12 PM

Garage
The V has better lights than any other bike I have ridden, doesn't need extra. Then again I don't ride much in the dark. Just to clarify mine is a Mk 2 (2010 - )

Last edited by MaverickAus; 03-16-2014 at 11:56 AM.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
The V has better lights than any other bike I have ridden, doesn't need extra. Then again I don't ride much in the dark
I found the headlight to be excellent as well compared to most other bikes I've ridden. It's focused and throws light right where you need it.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequadnut View Post
If you are your hands are limber enough and not ape mits then there are no tools required. I wear a med size glove and had no probs swapping out the bulbs once i figured out that the lights are sping clipped in!!
I wear XL gloves and replaced my low beam bulb without removing any plastics.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 02:18 AM

Most of the higher output H7 bulbs have shorter life expectancy. I think our headlight is pretty good, and problems with lighting are more the typical motorcycle one that when you're leaned in a corner the headlight is angled wrong and the cutoff keeps it from lighting where you're going. Aux lights can help a bit with that. They also help when you're riding at night and your low beam is out.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
Most of the higher output H7 bulbs have shorter life expectancy. I think our headlight is pretty good, and problems with lighting are more the typical motorcycle one that when you're leaned in a corner the headlight is angled wrong and the cutoff keeps it from lighting where you're going. Aux lights can help a bit with that. They also help when you're riding at night and your low beam is out.

My problem is my high beam points at the stars and provides no light on the road no matter how much I turn the adjustment bolts... they don't do anything. My low beam is also pointed too low to be of much use at spends over 30mph.

Haven't found a solution yet.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
On my '08 and '09 Vs I had to adjust the beams quite a bit higher than the way they came from the factory. Did it in my garage, then went out and tried them. Had to do that several times before I was happy, but now my low beams do a very nice job, and it APPEARS that the highs don't, but on the odd times that I'm out in the dark and go to high beam I can see a lot more of the reflective things for quite a long way, over what the lows give me. The low beam "cut-off" seems to be just below the rear windows of SUVs now.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 01:42 PM

I don't have any particular complaints about my beam focus, and I ride in the pitch black all the freaking time. Auxiliary lights are attractive to me, but knowing my need for endless research, I am holding off on that path as I am too busy in life right now.

I notice the OSRAM are a touch brighter, but it is not game changing.

2009 Versys 16K

We sit together the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 06:46 AM

Piaa bulbs

Take a look at Piaa bulbs. I have been using their products for 25 years. I have use them in my ATV, cars and about 10 different motorcycles. I have never had a bulb fail. BTW..... NEVER touch the bulb with your fingers and use electronic grease when installing.
I have a 1992 GMC Typhoon with 126,000 miles with the same set of Piaa bulbs and never had a problem.

Cb
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 07:08 PM

Does anyone know what the bulbs for low and high beam model or part numbers? I want to order up some bulbs but don't know if they are (example) H2, H7, H2002 etc.

It's a 2013 Versys 650

Thanks!

Last edited by ZeusSys; 04-16-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode