How accurate is the Versys fuel gauge? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How accurate is the Versys fuel gauge?

As the title says... for example when the fuel gauge is reading half, does that mean my tank is half full? The reason I ask is because my V-Strom has a notoriously innaccurate fuel gauge... 130kms until the first bar even disappears... the tank is at two 3rds full at that point....

Thanks
Richard

'14 Versys 650 (Green)
'14Honda CB500x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 02:09 PM

Accuracy??

The only relative accurate indicator is the last bar flashing. The fuel guage measurement is the depth of fluid (hydrostatic pressure) over the sensor. Since the tank is oddly shaped, half of the bars remaining does not mean that you have used half the tank, or have half the tank remaining.

The low fuel indicators described in the owner's manual are reasonably accurate, based on my experience. YMMV.

pegrider

"It is the journey, in the end."
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 02:13 PM

This question is like a tire\insurance\seat\oil question.....

You'll get as many answers as you need and none will agree.

Me, I ride until it blinks, then I ride a little further, then I buy gas. If I put in less than 4 gallons I stopped to early, (usually 185-210 miles).

Is the gauge accurate? For me it is!

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 03:13 PM

I also fill up at around 200 - 220 miles on the trip counter. At this point the gauge is down to the last bar but not yet blinking. When it blinks, you've still got about 40 - 50 miles. I typically put in about 4.4 gallons at around 200 miles. YMMV

2009 Kawasaki Versys - Candy Plasma Blue
2013 Yamaha WR250R
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdavis197 View Post
I also fill up at around 200 - 220 miles on the trip counter. At this point the gauge is down to the last bar but not yet blinking. When it blinks, you've still got about 40 - 50 miles. I typically put in about 4.4 gallons at around 200 miles. YMMV
This is according to the owner's manual:
Quote:
When only the most bottom segment is displayed, 5.0 L (1.3 US gal) of fuel remain. Furthermore, when the lowest segment and FUEL flash in the digital meter, only 3.5 L (0.9 US gal) of fuel remain.
But from what you've observed, you only have 0.6 gallons left when you should have more than 0.9. Unless it is possible to put in more than 5 gallons in there in reality...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 03:28 PM

My numbers are approximate and will vary with the type of riding that I'm doing. The key to consider is once you start flashing, you should probably fill up in the next 20 miles just to be safe.

2009 Kawasaki Versys - Candy Plasma Blue
2013 Yamaha WR250R
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The gauge is an indicator-FUEL INDICATOR GAUGE, so by the very meaning of the word INDICATOR, its just an indication of how much fuel you will have left in your tank.

Though it might be calibrated to some accuracy each bike will differ form another as each rider and riding pattern differs.

So fill her up when you can or on long ride carry spare tank.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Fuel Level Sensor Resistance:
Standard- Full position: 4 ∼ 10 Ω
Empty position (low fuel level warning): 90 ∼ 100 Ω

Variable Resistor Resistance (Ω) / Fuel Level Display Segments
10................................................ .. 6
55................................................ .. 3
100............................................... . 1 (Low fuel level warning)

Fuel level sensor accuracy all depends on how well it was calibrated for its operating dynamics, and for the fuel reservoir's odd uneven shape... At a steady pace and depending how full you start with, each fuel level indicator segment yields a different range which you can take note of. You can then determine if its near half full or half empty when you hit 3 bars. I haven't really taken notice.

Last edited by invader; 04-21-2011 at 09:50 PM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 12:46 AM

I don't know this for a fact, but I'm pretty sure each bar nets different mileage starting from the highest with six bars and lowest with one bar. (i.e. 6th bar gets 45-50 miles, 5th bar gets 40-45 miles, 4th bar gets 35-40 miles...on mine, it seems once I get to one bar it goes blinking in 20 miles or so....)

On a side note, recently, in an "experiment," I rode 24 miles exactly (I reset a trip meter) after the bar started blinking and that's (the pic) how much gas she took. If needed, I figure I am safe to go 30-35 miles with a blinking gas gauge now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0966.jpg (934.5 KB, 246 views)

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_ View Post
This is according to the owner's manual:

But from what you've observed, you only have 0.6 gallons left when you should have more than 0.9. Unless it is possible to put in more than 5 gallons in there in reality...
It IS! I fill into the filler neck while straddling the V so it's vertical, up to the point where the neck 'folds' back into the opening (about 1/2 to 3/4" from absolute highest point), BUT ONLY fill up when I'll be riding at least 15 miles before I stop, to keep from overflowing.

I get about an extra .3 US gallon in, and got close to 300 miles on the tank at least once.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Cut it a bit fine today as put in just over 18 litres, by my calculations that would leave me with 20km left to run out.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 08:58 AM

Garage
I use the Trip A as my ODO reading fo the season and my Trip B as the ODO reading for the tank of gas. When it hits about 325 km I fill up. I just use the fuel indicator as a reminder to check that hidden Trip B ODO every once in awhile.

Always trust your cape.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

I find the gauge to be extremely accurate. The first bar disappears at about 40-50 miles. The next 4 bars disappear at about 25 miles a bar. the last bar disappears after about 40-50 miles.

Most I have put in the stock tank is 5.2 gallons.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:22 AM

Progress is such a wonderful thing. When they added trip odometers to bikes that really helped when all you had before was a reserve position on your petcock. Then you could anticipate how much fuel you had left. I find the fuel gauge on my V reasonably accurate and love it.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 12:02 PM

The petcock solution was wonderful...until you forgot to flip the damn thing back up when you filled. Then it was time for a long walk.

I recall one time having about a 1/2 mile walk to the gas station. They didn't have a loaner can so I rummaged around in the trash until I found a 750ml vodka bottle that was empty. I bought a bottle full of gas for, if memory serves 20 cents. Yeah...it was a long time ago.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 12:16 PM

Sure was a long time ago...

Kimel, you bet it was a long time ago; $1.00 a gallon gas is way long gone.

But I can still remember filling up a Honda XL125S for $.75.

pegrider

"It is the journey, in the end."
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 01:01 PM

Ha, I have got you both, I can remember when they had a gas price war going on (what ever happened to competition?) and gas was 17 cents a gallon and you got a free drinking glass with a fill-up. Now that is a long time ago. I believe it was just about the same year they invented rocks.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 06:36 PM

Habitually running low fuel levels will shorten the life of the fuel pump. The pump depends on fuel for cooling and lubrication.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Habitually running low fuel levels will shorten the life of the fuel pump. The pump depends on fuel for cooling and lubrication.
That's why I carry an extra 5 gallons on the back... to cool my fuel pump adequately

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 08:04 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
Mine wasn't that good until my dash was replaced under warranty. I got the extended warranty and when the reset button went south, they replaced the dash (so now I have only 1600 miles and not 29,000! ) and now it seems to be pretty accurate. I was down to 1 bar today and put in nearly 4 gallons, so I figure when it starts blinking I'll be down to 1/2 gallon and 20 miles or so...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode