Back Bleeding Your Brakes - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Back Bleeding Your Brakes

I just wanted to share a very easy way to back bleed your front brakes. Back bleeding is just one of many ways to remove trapped air. Trapped air contributes to the spongy feeling.

Place your handlebars so that the brake line rises as straight as possible to the reservoir. (Turn the bars to the left). You'll want to make sure the reservoir isn't over full. You need a place for the air to go. Leave the cap on so you don't spill brake fluid on the tank. I always place a large bath towel on the tank so as not to scratch.

Slip the bar clamp between the wheel spokes, resting the plastic jaws on the outside of the calipers. Snug the jaws so that they hold the clamp in place. The calipers slide axially on pins. This works because fluid is being forced from each caliper at the same time forcing the air back to the reservoir.

On the stock master cylinder you will apply and release the brake lever a couple times a second. You only want to move the valve in the master cylinder enough for the holes to allow air to get past and rise up into the reservoir. Somewhere between 1/4 and inch of lever throw depending on how much air is in there. If you had help, you could also crack the line at the master cylinder, letting the air escape as pressure was applied with the clamp.

So with your left hand work the lever as described above. With your right hand apply pressure with the clamp. That's all there is too it.

I you have the radial master cylinder I described, there is a bleeder at the top which you can crack as you apply pressure to the clamp. Be sure to put a piece of tubing on the bleeder to catch the fluid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barclampbackbleed.jpg (133.6 KB, 289 views)

Last edited by Phoneman064; 04-17-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:51 PM

I have never done it quite like that.

Thanks for sharing!

Ride em if ya got em!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 03:22 AM

Thanks and interesting.

Also other bleeding devices to keep thing simple and DIY

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Good one steven. should get one for easy bleeding.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 07:29 AM

Get a Mighty Vac. $25 US. Those other devices are fine until you have a bike where someone gorilla'd the stock bleeder and ruined the threads (which lets air in) hence the need for the Mighty Vac. Remember, "snug" is all you need on a bleeder, not cranked tight.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 09:45 AM

You can bleed it all you want but I think the problem is with the master cyl unit. I swapped the stock 08 unit for the '10 and later... noticable improvement. Less "squishy"... esp after on the road for a few miles.

CC

---------------------------------------------------
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
This method describes more of a master cylinder bleed than a proper brake bleed which must be done at the caliper for proper safe method. Please be careful with brakes if part of your maintenance, folks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
+1 Mighty Vac.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode