So, the versys... Issues again - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So, the versys... Issues again

I just sent the my new 2009 versys to the shop two Saturdays ago for coolant leaking from the water pump. Picked up the bike today drove home and guess what coolant is leaking from the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump... Did I buy a lemon? The bike only has 202 miles on it. The guy from the service department said that I should ride the bike for a couple hours so the seals set in... I have never heard that for water pump seals or gaskets. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 09:10 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to bcnu53
Sounds very strange to me, but what do you have to loose? Just ride it like they ask and if it keeps leaking then the ball is back in their court. they gotta fix it or there is always another dealer down the road. Lemon? I bet not. anything man made can have problems. don't let it get to you. It will all come out in the end.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 11:30 PM

probably a bad O-ring or one that wasn't seated properly during the installation. If it leaks again, insist they change the pump or get the O-rings/gaskets replaced.

Does it only leak during operation or it leaks even when the bike is parked, engine off?

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
If the bike is under warranty, get the pump replaced. I have a 09 and done 17K km with no problem at all.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 12:07 AM

Mine has leaked from day 1 from the day I bought it new ... I have 800 miles on it and it barely leaks anymore out the weep-hole. I have been told it is a ceramic surface and it may wear-in. After looking at the parts, it makes good sense. I have reported mine to kawi dealer and they now have the parts. But I am going to give it a chance to wear-in. It has never dripped on the ground, just very little residual on the case near the weep hole. I look everytime I get on it and off it, and it is about 10% as bad as it was in the beginning so it is showing progress.

It is a delicate seal and a good quality press should be used when installing the new seal. Not tapped-in with a mallet lol

2008 Suzuki B-King ABS (smithabusa interface, ecuEditor, Reflashed/DeLimited, Scorpion Exhaust)
2011 V-Star 950 Touring Candy Red
2008 Kawi Brute Force 650 (HMF Full Exhaust, Twin-Air Kit, Dyna Ignition, My Jetting, and a few FST Parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Honda TRX250EX White(rejetted with UNI filter) fer the kid
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 01:51 AM

Sell the bike and cut your losses. You've got a bad one.
Best of luck, hope it all works out for you!

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMoto View Post
Sell the bike and cut your losses. You've got a bad one.
Best of luck, hope it all works out for you!
oh, forgot to warn ya dsmisfits ... You can't say anything negative about a Versys on here even if it's yours without some sort of snide remark ... Better watch your step, the fish-finders are over-yonder ready to tag ya !

2008 Suzuki B-King ABS (smithabusa interface, ecuEditor, Reflashed/DeLimited, Scorpion Exhaust)
2008 Kawi Brute Force 650 (HMF Full Exhaust, Twin-Air Kit, Dyna Ignition, My Jetting, and a few FST Parts

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 10:24 AM

It's just a little seep, right? I think you should ride the thing and chances are good that it will stop leaking.
If not, then you can get it fixed (again) under warranty.
These bikes get better the more you ride them, motor smooths out, shifting gets better. Like I told desertv, Ride more, Worry less. How's that goin' for ya anyway?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

This morning I went to check the leak since last night I cleaned the area really well and sure enough it is leaking. So, I did what the dealer said to do, I went on an hour ride. Got home checked it and it's still leaking. Wiped it clean again went out to check 2 hours later and I have small puddle of oil about the size of a 50 cent coin. So it leaks will sitting and while running. I guess she will be going back to the shop again. I have had the bike a total of 27 days, bike has been in the shop for 12 days. Sadly, I sold my 1997 Suzuki gs500 to buy the versys. I owned that bike for a while and it did not spend one day in the shop. I love the versys, the way it looks, seat height, power, and the way she looks at me when I walk into the garage. I just want to ride...
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 04:16 PM

hang in there..this bike is worth it..once you get this figured out.life will be good..i believe this forum and the dedicated people who just love to ride and help others will pull you through!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the words of encouragement... I love the bike, I like Kawasaki's so I will hang in there. I have a 4 year warranty so I think I should be safe...
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmisfits View Post
Thanks for the words of encouragement... I love the bike, I like Kawasaki's so I will hang in there. I have a 4 year warranty so I think I should be safe...
Did you say OIL? or do you mean coolant?

If it is oil out of that weep-hole after a new seal has been fitted, they botched the job. That seal assembly seals off the water pump housing and the crankcase. If oil is coming out it will not seal

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 07:41 PM

I have an 08, got it with 1k miles after 10K miles more no leaks or issues anywhere. Great bike and yes it gets better with time.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

That's right, I thought it was coolant but after closer inspection today it's OIL... The sever guy said today, keep driving it and it should stop as tje gaskets set. I have fixed many cars, and if its going to leak it leaks right usally right away and doesn't go away if you drive it more. So yes, it is oil.

Also how blue do your pipe get?

I looks like the pipe on the left side of the pic is really blue, I notcied this after I drove it home yesterday. My vulcan has 32K and the pipes are a little gold, not blue..

Heres a pic

Last edited by dsmisfits; 04-14-2011 at 09:09 PM.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
If you have a look at the Water Pump Parts Diagram, you'll see a seal behind the Water Pump Impeller (49063-1055 Seal – Mechanical, Water) which sits in the housing. In this housing is a hole which sits in a cavity between the Coolant Seal and the Oil Seal. Any coolant or oil that leaks past their respective seal into this cavity then drips from this hole. The cavity exists so that should a seal leak occur, the other systems fluid will not be contaminated.

The left blue header pipe is normal for a 4-stroke parallel twin... The Versys' vacuum is adjusted to be balanced (synchronized) at 1300 rpm idle, but the left manifold's vacuum shoots up from idle as you start opening the throttles, until it stabilizes itself with the right at about 4000 rpm and higher. The right cylinder runs richer because its vacuum and resulting air flow is lower than the left, causing the right header downpipe to run hotter from extra fuel afterburn, mostly bewteen idle and about 4000 rpm. Therefore, the right exhaust header downpipe runs hotter most of the time at lower operating rpm's.

Last edited by invader; 04-14-2011 at 09:57 PM.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Great info.. The shop ordered parts today, they said it should be in by next week and my bike will get fixed first. I should be good to go by next weekend. We shall see. Thanks, again....
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezertv View Post
oh, forgot to warn ya dsmisfits ... You can't say anything negative about a Versys on here even if it's yours without some sort of snide remark ... Better watch your step, the fish-finders are over-yonder ready to tag ya !

Lighten up, dude...that was far from a "snide remark."
The first comment was just a joke...I know, I know...sometimes sarcasm doesn't work on the internet.
I am just not one to see trees, I try and see the forest. That is all.

The first time it leaked, it was the bike's/Kawi's fault....once it has been in the shop and "fixed," if the problem resurfaces then it's the shop's fault from there on out IMO.

I know how frustrating it is when you have trouble with a new bike. My bike had the throttle bodies fail at around 3K. I posted here and did a little digging around and could not find another example of this happening (even on the Ninja and ER6n). Kawi fixed it under warranty (around a $750 job) and I have lived about 10K miles happy ever after. I chalked it up to me being unlucky....

Once again, I hope everything works out for you.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 01:01 AM

It could just be the seal but as long as it's in warranty I'd insist they inspect the balancer shaft at the seal. My dealer found it to be pitted.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...d.php?p=100482
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 01:05 AM

snide/snīd/Adjective
1. Derogatory or mocking in an indirect way: "snide remarks"

... Looked snide to me ... Guy has a problem, vents on here asking opinion... and ya jump up ... yeah, sell it, cut your losses, ya got a bad one ! ... how is that not snide ? ... I am one to see the tree for a tree and friend you are an OAK !

If ya don't want to be taken as a smart azz, then don't post stuff that looks like it might be construed that way mang

Last edited by dezertv; 04-15-2011 at 01:08 AM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezertv View Post
snide/snīd/Adjective
1. Derogatory or mocking in an indirect way: "snide remarks"

... Looked snide to me ... Guy has a problem, vents on here asking opinion... and ya jump up ... yeah, sell it, cut your losses, ya got a bad one ! ... how is that not snide ? ... I am one to see the tree for a tree and friend you are an OAK !

If ya don't want to be taken as a smart azz, then don't post stuff that looks like it might be construed that way mang
You, sir, miss the point. But, you win; I am a "smart azz."

Friend?

And, indeed, I am an "OAK." I block the sun from the Maples. (RUSH reference )

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode