Why? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Why?

Just called the local dealer to do an oil change and put on my 44t sprocket - usually do it myself, but for the life of me I can't get the rear wheel nut off -

anyway, the guy at the shop says - you should replace the chain (didn't ask if I did it already) No I say (since I have)

Should have the 10,000 service - No thanks, running like a top

BIG breath out from dealer guy

your bike he says gruffly - yep I know, I say

I Suppose you are brining in your own oil and filter - he says

No actually - that is all you, I say

Why do service guys act like this? - I am bringing in the bike I bought from him, and he gives me **** about not doing things he thinks I should do? Then implies I am cheap by the oil and filter comment.

I AM going to get it serviced this season, but in my book, if it is running great, why break it open within a reasonable mileage count - say 12k vs 10k?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foo Fighter Rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 02:50 PM

$$ Ex: Oil quality is a quantam leap from where it was in years past yet the quick change places generally slap that reminder sticker up there with 3K miles as the next change interval.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 05:06 PM

You can run into an attitude at any shop, depending on the day. I try to ignore it, and they usually come around if you don't play the offended part. Sometimes, it's worth finding another shop, because after all the customer is the boss.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You replaced your chain, but now can't remove rear axle nut? Why was it replaced, and how many miles on it now?
Can you cancel the service appointment and do it yourself, or take it somewhere else?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
A couple of times undoing my axle nut it caused the axle to turn so needed to put a spanner on the other side to hold the axle. Somtimes a short sharp tap with a hammer on your strong arm bar will loosen the nut.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 07:32 PM

Just get a bigger lever. Harbor Freight has some 30 or 36" 1/2 drive breaker bars.

I have an RV with 22.5" bus type wheels. I think the torque spec is 600 ft/lbs or so. I took a 10' piece of square tubing and welded on a 1" to 3/4" drive adapter. I almost made a big mistake though....on big rigs, the bolts on one side are RH and they are LH on the other side. Fortunately, when it didn't come off right away, I decided to eat diner before jumping up and down on the bar. And halfway thru, I though about reverse threaded bolts...looked it up...and avoided snapping the sucker off.

But my point is...with a big enough lever, you can move the world, and no puny 27 mm nut is going to stop you!

RR
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Hey Invader

I bought her used and frankly the chain could have been simply cleaned real well -so my bad on that one...but it is either fantastic shape @ 9800 miles or was replaced when I purchased it from the dealer at 6000 miles....I suspect it was new and now has just 3800 miles on it...I did not replace it myself

...Just about threw out my back trying to get the damn nut off, finally gave up and said hell with it. Since I do the oil changes myself I figured it was time to get a pro (with an attitude) to look at it.

My issue with the 10k tune up is my last bike (Suzuki bandit) was performing like a champ, took it in for a scheduled tune up and the thing ran so poorly after that I ended up tearing it apart and doing it (over) myself. The shop (which I no longer give my business to) took no responsibility. That is why I am hesitant to have someone toy around with a machine that is working perfectly.

Figure I will put a couple of K on it this riding season and then get the big tune up at the end for next year.

Foo Fighter Rider
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 08:21 PM

What is a 10k Service anyway? I don't see it in the manual. Having somebody you trust look at your bike is worthwhile, but this relationship is off to a bad start. Is there a good independent shop in the area? I never take my bike to the dealer but do have a great mechanic. That said, you need to be able to break the axle bolt loose to maintain proper chain slack so it's now or later.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 09:35 PM

I NEVER let a mechanic touch a bike that is running well. change the oil and leave it alone is my opinion. The rest of the world is told to not check valve clearance until 24,000 (if I remember correctly). I'll get tired of it or die before that.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcctx View Post
The rest of the world is told to not check valve clearance until 24,000 (if I remember correctly). I'll get tired of it or die before that.
My manual says 24,000km or 15,000 miles for valve check and I am at 22,000 so my bike is going to get that done over our winter but the mechanic that is going to do the job is very good and has even stopped contracting out to bike shops and started up his own business and he does not need to advertise.

He is also going to change my plugs out, change brake fluid out, flush and change out radiator and and no problems with me supply plugs, anti freeze and brake fluid. When it is all done will report back with final bill and see if you guys think i got a good deal or not.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
DEALING with INSULTů.Lord Buddha

The Buddha explained how to handle insult and maintain compassion.
One day Buddha was walking through a village. A very angry and rude young man came up and began insulting him. "You have no right teaching others," he shouted. "You are as stupid as everyone else. You are nothing but a fake."

Buddha was not upset by these insults. Instead he asked the young man "Tell me, if you buy a gift for someone, and that person does not take it, to whom does the gift belong?"

The man was surprised to be asked such a strange question and answered, "It would belong to me, because I bought the gift."

The Buddha smiled and said, "That is correct. And it is exactly the same with your anger. If you become angry with me and I do not get insulted, then the anger falls back on you. You are then the only one who becomes unhappy, not me. All you have done is hurt yourself."

"If you want to stop hurting yourself, you must get rid of your anger and become loving instead. When you hate others, you yourself become unhappy. But when you love others, everyone is happy."

The young man listened closely to these wise words of the Buddha. "You are right, o Enlightened One, "he said. "Please teach me the path of love. I wish to become your follower."

The Buddha answered kindly, "Of course. I teach anyone who truly wants to learn. Come with me."

Meaningful Quotes

If you are right then there is no need to get angry
And if you are wrong then you don't have any right to get angry.

Patience with family is love,
Patience with others is respect,
Patience with self is confidence and

Never Think too Hard about the unhappy PAST,
For It tends to bring Tears...
Don't project your thought to worry about the FUTURE,
For It brings Fears, worries and anxieties...
Live this Moment meaningfully with understanding and a Smile,
For It brings Cheers and joy to ALL !!!!

Every test in our life can make us bitter or better,
Every problem comes to make us or break us,
Choice is ours to make - whether we become victim or victorious !!!

Search for someone with a beautiful heart not for just a beautiful face.
For inner beauty is much better then mere physical beauty.
but of course if you can have both then you are truly blessed.

Remember me like pressed flower in your Notebook.
It may not be having any fragrance
but will remind you of my existence forever in your life.

Do you know, why Nature created gaps between fingers?
So that someone who is special to you, can come and fills those gaps by holding your hands forever.

GOD BLESS ALL.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Update -

Called to confirm they could also do an inpection and the guy was as nice as could be - sure we can do that - not a problem.

But they DO have a Vstrom 650 2011 ABS for 6200 list....step away from the light, step away from the light!

Foo Fighter Rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode