Militec and Vibration - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Militec and Vibration

Militec-1.com

Been using it for years ... took a lot of vibes out of the V ... Thanks

2008 Suzuki B-King ABS (smithabusa interface, ecuEditor, Reflashed/DeLimited, Scorpion Exhaust)
2011 V-Star 950 Touring Candy Red
2008 Kawi Brute Force 650 (HMF Full Exhaust, Twin-Air Kit, Dyna Ignition, My Jetting, and a few FST Parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Honda TRX250EX White(rejetted with UNI filter) fer the kid
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dezertv; 03-29-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:57 AM

oh hell....another fishing trip?

1975 Kawasaki MC90
1977 Yamaha YZ100
1980 Yamaha YZ100
1980 Yamaha YZ125
1981 Yamaha YZ125
1982 Yamaha YZ125
1983 Yamaha YZ125
1984 Honda CR125
1996 Yamaha PW80 (son's)
1999 Kawasaki KX250
2001 Suzuki PW50 (son's)
2001 Yamaha YZ125
2003 Kawasaki KLX110 (son's)
2005 KTM 525 EXC Racing w/Motard set up
2009 Kawasaki Versys - I like this street bike thing...

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 07:16 AM

Using it on the chain?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

I do use it on my chains every 600 miles or so. Have been getting good chain wear on most everything ... It's easier to keep chains cleaner as well ... no gummy residue

Have been using it in engines since about 1996. Have done some impromptu testing to show it does work. Seems to be doing wonders in the Versys as far as smoothness and vibration. I treated 1oz per qt capacity (2 oz.)

I have studied Tribology to some degree, and I do know the old adage about additives and that people tend to shy away due to many others in the marketplace... so .... If it scares anyone, don't use it. I personally have had no issues with it ... I buy a gallon once every few years

2008 Suzuki B-King ABS (smithabusa interface, ecuEditor, Reflashed/DeLimited, Scorpion Exhaust)
2008 Kawi Brute Force 650 (HMF Full Exhaust, Twin-Air Kit, Dyna Ignition, My Jetting, and a few FST Parts

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 01:53 PM

I heard something about those oil additives, I use it on my car and it works great but ... looks like they're not good for wet clutches, that's why we should not use regular synthetic oils.
What do you know about it????
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

The treat rate on cases with wet clutches is actually LESS than a case without wet clutches. (They have taken precautions on treat ratio) Saying that, back in about 2004 I started looking at putting militec in my common sump ATV's. (Used it in my autos since 96) I spent considerable time researching this, as well as lubricants with moly and used in wet clutches. After some long conversations with Brad (owner) and many people who actually MAKE clutches like Barnette, along with knowing how friction material acts in auto trannies, I found a common ground.

I found instances of Honda wet clutches dating back to the 80's in V4's that were super-sensitive to Friction Modifiers and Moly. Other makers had not had the same instances that I could find. I hear of so many people running what the manufacturer DOESN'T recommend to think that somehow all clutches will fail if you use some of the taboos like moly for example. After much discussion with people that build or know about wet clutches, the moly limit for safe use in wet clutches was about 200ppm. Many virgin oil analyses show in motorcycle oils that moly does exist in small amounts. However, I do stay away from it, and use Rotella oils with no moly...

What does moly have to do with militec... well, moly is an AW additive that is malleable, and CAN plate-up on porous surfaces ... I would think it could impregnate a wet clutch, and cause the friction coefficient to drop, resulting in slippage ... I will note also, SOME synthetic oils have allowed rare cases of slippage too...

Militec is not formulated with moly, nor does it carry a soluble AW additive package per se. It's very like a surfactant and changes surface tension so lubricant can do a better job. It's not a solid like slick 50 or anything that can cake or foul an engine.

Saying that, what I started to do, because I was cautious about wet clutches (despite all that said it was not an issue with Militec) is when I was due for an oil change, I would treat with the prescribed amount, but strap the clutch lever as not to bathe the clutch in the treated oil (avoided exercising the plates)... I ran the bike for 10-15 minutes at just over idle with a fan on it, then drained the oil. The rotating assembly and top end would get a treat, but the clutch didn't get much. I never had a problem, and enjoyed the benefits of a militec treated ENGINE.

Later on, I have gotten away from the hassle and have treated 1/2 oz per qt capacity and just driven the bikes. I have since snuck-up on the full 1oz. per qt treat rate, and have not had any slippage in anything I own. I purposely TRY to get my clutch to slip and have not had any change when running without it. The Bking puts out 100 lb ft of TQ and over 180 HP and it is holding with no issues. I had your concerns as well, and as long as the clutch is in good service, I have yet to have an issue with the militec. I would do 14,000 RPM upshifts on my gixxer, while trying to get the clutch to slip (abusing it) and it always held.

Also, once the bike has seen 50 or so miles at full operating temp, you could drain it and put just oil in it and then the residual militec wouldn't be there. If so concerned. Or try the method where you treat without clutch engagement ...

I believe in the end, there is some validity to lubricants type and wet clutch compatibility, but I have to wonder if it's overblown. Way too many old timers running car oil (API energy conserving) and no complaints.

FWIW, I use Rotella T 15W40 and 5W40 Rotella Synthetic which are the ONLY JASO MA certified HDMO dual purpose oils on the mass market... No issues in 15 years. Matter of fact I have recommended it to Factory Sponsored ATV race teams and they love it. (Rotella) ... If you add Militec to YOUR favorite brand of oil, I can't vouch for it because all I run is Rotella ... I am not giving it a blanket "OK USE IT" ... You have to try it and do your testing on your machine I must disclaim

And NO I am not a dealer ... I simply think the stuff is great, have used it for many years, and was surprised what it did to the versys as far as smoothing it out ... Brad the owner of the company is not a cheat and is a stand up guy. He will talk to anyone so concerned about use in engines ...

Last edited by dezertv; 03-29-2011 at 02:38 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 11:59 AM

Thank you for explain all this to me....
I will try to get Millitec here in Peru, I saw it some years ago. The last product I saw was from a different brand but looks like do the same thing. But for my Versys, I preffer to try something well tested.
And as you said, you use it now all the time with your oil with no problems... thatīs good. I will add it to my actual oil.
BTW... Do you have refferences about the oil Iīm using now? Itīs a Motul 7100 ester, 100% synthethic, API SG/SH/SJ/SL, JASO T 903. I think itīs a good one.
Thanks again!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 02:56 AM

Never used militec but had posted a question here about it somewhere.

Have however used Tufoil for my car and ex-boxer bm. Sure was smoother...
http://www.tufoil.com/cars.html

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Looks like interesting stuff. I do however try to stay away from any additive that has solids in suspension. Their micron size seems to be very small however. I work with Teflon a lot at work, and it is what it says. Just don't know if I want it circulating throughout my engines over a long period of time.

Slick50, Valvoline Oil treatment, FRAM all used Teflon at one time.

militec has no solids ...

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 03:50 PM

That website does almost nothing to describe the use/application of their products. So can it be used with any oil, synthetic or otherwise?

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 05:18 PM

Someone mentioned also that he uses Militec into his chain... Does anybody has tried this before? How would be the procedure?
Thanks!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
That website does almost nothing to describe the use/application of their products. So can it be used with any oil, synthetic or otherwise?
Should be plenty of info on their site bro ... That's weird ... (militec's site right?) ... Look on home page, left side ... Click on Vehicles

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Someone mentioned also that he uses Militec into his chain... Does anybody has tried this before? How would be the procedure?
Thanks!
I run it on my chains ... Follow the owners manual on how to clean AND DRY your chain, and then the lubrication points to lube your chain ... Helps if you have someone spinning your tire for you so you get a good treat ... After a couple applications, you will find it takes less and less to lube it. The chain will always feel slick even when you dry it, and the crud doesn't stick as bad ... I would highly recommend you take it for a ride after you clean your chain to get it warm, then apply the militec ... It does it's job better/sooner on a warm chain

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezertv View Post
Should be plenty of info on their site bro ... That's weird ... (militec's site right?) ... Look on home page, left side ... Click on Vehicles
Guess I should have clicked around their site a bit more. I was thinking they would have a products page.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 07:10 PM

OK Miguelito... so once the chain is well cleaned and dried, I must apply Militec and that's it... no other type of lubricant in needed?
How ofter do you apply Militec on the first times?
Supposedly, our Versys chains have o'rings so the function of external lubrication is to keep it clean, free of rust and smooth, Isn't it?
Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode