slow running prob - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy slow running prob

I bought a 2010 Versys new last year and it has always had an annoying slow running hesitation on a constant throttle at between 2500 and 4000 revs. The bike shop says they all do it and its due to the fuel injection being set lean to get through emission control ergs. They say there is nothing that can be done but I notice that no one else on the forum has mentioned it. ! Can anyone else shed light on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 07:44 AM

Check service manual DFI 3-30 Fuel system faults under Hesitation (page 106 and 107).

Though you have the newer 2010 V, the trouble shooting would be the nearly the same on the older 2007-2009 V.
Service manual at http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=2846

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I got rid of the lean stumble which is worse at near 2800 rpm by adjusting main throttle sensor voltage output up to maximum spec by rotating it counterclockwise a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Look at the main (grey) throttle sensor's green alignment mark on its front from near your front left flasher, and note how it ligns up. Loosen sensor screw with T25 Torx tool. Rotate sensor counterclockwise by about half a millimeter as seen on pic. Adjust, then tighten Torx screw. Main throttle sensor's new position:

Main throttle sensor Torx screw:

Fast idle may then be higher. You can rotate subthrottle sensor (black, just above main throttle sensor) also counterclockwise with T25 Torx screw to reduce cold fast-idle rpm. I rotated mine to its maximum counterclockwise position, to which it was already near. Subthrottle sensor's new position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstratt View Post
Finally got the slow speed issues fixed today. I had previously set the TPS to the upper end of the Kawi spec, but it made no discernible difference. Today I advanced the TPS a bit further (didn't set it with a multimeter, just set it by seat of the pants) and that pretty much cured everything I didn't like about throttle response. It got rid of the 2500-3800 rpm miss, the pop that sometimes occured when rolling back on the throttle after a decel, and all of the low speed jerkiness. I'm not feeling the need for a tuner now.

You had it nailed Invader, I just didn't take it far enough the first couple of times I messed with it. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstratt View Post
Here's a pic for reference. When adjusted to spec, the marks were still almost perfectly aligned.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 05:52 PM

Invader,

Rotating throttle position sensor increases voltage? How did you determine that? (Only asking because I don't see anything in the service manual in this regard.) And increased voltage alleviates the stumble?

I was going to respond to OP with the comment that 2500 is too low to rev this engine, but of course everyone has to pass through this range when moving off from a start in 1st gear.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There is a procedure in the service manual to check the main throttle sensor voltage output... Mine was at just under minimum voltage output, as most seem to be. I set it at the maximum specified voltage output. This adds more fuel and adds ignition timing advance, especially at low to mid throttle opening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode