55,000 Miles - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
55,000 Miles

I was looking at my maintenance records last night so I thought I'd post a 55,000 mile update. Overall the Versys has been a good moto, that said, I've had two electrical failures and several accident related repairs. The electrical failures were a fan motor and a stator, both were overly expensive, I had to wait for a week in Northern Colombia for the stator. Mechanically, I've had no other problems except for a broken clutch cable at 47,000 miles. As far as maintenance goes, I change the oil/filter every 5,000 miles and use Castrol 20/50 exclusively, I'm not adding any oil between changes. I've replaced the battery, three chains, one set of sprockets, one set of spark plugs, brake pads and the clutch cable. I'm still using the original air cleaner and have adjusted the valves a couple of times. I have an extra set of wheel bearings but there is no reason to change them out yet. I'm still running Tourances when I can find them, I've bought five rear and two front tires.
Accessories and modifications that work for me. The best modification has to be the 130/80-150/70 Tourance package pioneered by jdrocks, the Tourances have saved my rims many times, I'm also thinking that the Hyperpro suspension was well worth the investment. I chose the Hepco-Becker engine guards because of the radiator protection, the Versys has been down several times with no engine or radiator damage. Same with the Barkbusters, they are a great product. Happy-Trail advertises that their panniers are dust and waterproof, they are! I've used several of the competing products on other motos, these are my favorites.
My Versys is still running well and has a ton of miles left in it, I'm convinced that it will go to 100,000 miles without a major mechanical problem.

Gary

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real" - Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 04:30 PM

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 04:37 PM

:>)-

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Awesome!!!

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 08:22 PM

And even more impressive is the fact that it has done so well with your big adventure. I'm thinking I will never need to replace my air filter if you haven't!

My Album:

Last edited by Element; 03-25-2011 at 09:06 PM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 09:07 PM

Thank you!!!!

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 10:09 PM

Outstanding!!! Thanks for the info. Sounds like you have had some great adventures. Perhaps a movie??? ala long way down Versys style. Keep the rubber side down.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 11:51 PM

Great post, thanks for sharing. Good news to me, as I am in for the long haul and ride 15-20K miles a year. I, too, plan on seeing 100K on the clock with my V. I bought the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty, so I am not overly worried about the stator (I have read other posts about it going out prematurely on other bikes) or the fan going out (amongst other things).

I am curious about a few things though. Without a temp. gauge, how did you know the fan went out. I am assuming there is an "idiot light" that comes on when it starts to overheat.... You have not had to replace the fork seals? Wow! That's good to hear! How often do you clean the air filter? It looks like you ride in dirt/dust. I don't, but plan on going at it in 10,000 mile intervals. Have you ever greased up/lubed the steering stem or swing arm bearings? You mention valve adjustments...when did you do them and what did you find--tight? I got by my V new and plan on having the first one done around 20K and then every 25K from there on out. Have you changed the coolant? Sorry for all the questions, but I have been looking for someone with 50+K miles on their bike to see how the V wears. and
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 06:38 AM

You just convinced me to clean the air filter at 5500 miles/2 years instead of replacing it.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 07:28 AM

Awesome! Just think how many spark plugs you'd have gone through if you followed the owners manual!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 10:34 AM

Good to hear it's still running strong.

I do have to say that complaining that getting Versys parts in South America is expensive and takes time is not a fair complaint against the bike or Kawasaki. Small countries (motorcycle market wise - how many Versys/ER6 have been sold in Colombia?) with only a handful of dealers (and a single official importer that has to pay taxes on everything he imports) result in little inventory on hand and high prices for every OE replacement part. When I lived in such places (and my friends that still do), you learn to plan ahead. You basically create your own stock of consumable parts or future service items when you find good deals (or simply just find them in stock...) . I used to always have a spare set of tires, since that's one thing you postpone for too long, but I wasn't getting the sort of mileage you are out of the Tourances.

OTOH, I am not even sure a week is really that long a wait. I've had parts take longer than that to get from Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki distributors in the US to my local dealer in suburban Portland.

Gustavo

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

RockyMoto,
When the radiator fan failed the oil pressure warning light came on, I pulled over and could hear the water bubbling (boiling?) in the overflow. The problem was obvious, I started the Versys while still hot and the fan did not kick on. I did change the coolant after the fan was replaced.
Yea, no problem with the fork seals, we did change the fork oil when we installed the Hyperpro springs. The valves were OK at 20,000 miles, at 30,000 miles exhaust valves were starting to get tight. Will check them again soon. I check the Versys over carefully before my long rides, everything has been lubed. I check and clean the air cleaner once in awhile, maybe 7500 miles. I didn't mention this before but I add fuel injection cleaner every 10,000 miles, sooner if I have a real dirty air cleaner.

Gustavo,
I was able to get the stator in Bogota, the only reason it took a week is that it had to be shipped by bus and it was sent to the wrong town. As you know, most of these little moto shops can make just about any part, if I need a stator again, I'll just this one rewound.

Gary

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real" - Abraham Lincoln

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 02:58 PM

Gary, this is my favorite thread on this website, without a doubt. You rock, man...and so does your moto! I feel better just knowing I ride the same bike as you.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBD34 View Post
RockyMoto,
When the radiator fan failed the oil pressure warning light came on...
Just a typo or are you saying that the Temperature Light didnít come on?

Thanks

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:07 AM

Great thread Gary, keep the adventures and pics coming.

John

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:19 AM

That is awesome info. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I have a question on the Stator failure. Could that have been caused by a weak or failing battery. The reason I ask this is Hondas are know for Failing Regulators because of a weak battery. If you own a Honda, keep that battery charged. I learned of this when owning my BlackBird. The Voltage regulator is right on the edge of being sufficient. The fix was either keep the battery charged, or R1 Regulator.

Thanks,
Todd
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
Just a typo or are you saying that the Temperature Light didnít come on?

Thanks
Hardware,
I went back and checked my journal, it was the oil pressure warning indicator light that went on. The oil was thinning below normal viscosity, that tripped the pressure switch and delay relay.

Gary

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapntx View Post
That is awesome info. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I have a question on the Stator failure. Could that have been caused by a weak or failing battery. The reason I ask this is Hondas are know for Failing Regulators because of a weak battery. If you own a Honda, keep that battery charged. I learned of this when owning my BlackBird. The Voltage regulator is right on the edge of being sufficient. The fix was either keep the battery charged, or R1 Regulator.

Thanks,
Todd
Todd,
That's an interesting question. First of all my regulator was OK but my battery was shot. I'm wondering if it is possible that my stator burned out because it was being overworked keeping a bad battery charged. I don't know, maybe someone here could answer this question.

Gary

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 09:40 AM

Concerning the temperature indicator light,i am amazed that it doesn't check itself and let the operator know it lights.Most other bikes do.Now your probably wondering if the sending unit or lite even works.Yeah,Kawasaki's version of idiot lites has the other idiots beat.
Gary,glad to hear your still chugging and rolling along.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inroads View Post
Concerning the temperature indicator light,i am amazed that it doesn't check itself and let the operator know it lights....
Thatís my biggest pet peeve about the V. Itís an amazingly stupid design decision that (AFAIK) still hasnít been rectified?!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode