Schematic scan and question re: oil pressure light - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Schematic scan and question re: oil pressure light

Finally got to take the new bike out for a spin today only to have the oil pressure light start coming on. Oil level checked out, was no surprise since it still has factory oil and I checked it before leaving the house. The fault would clear each time I cycled power, came back once at 4500 RPM, once in town, once bouncing down a dirt road.

Thought maybe I pinched a wire while installing SW Motech crash guards, but wiring looked ok upon cursory inspection. At this point I'm suspicious the pressure sensor has crapped the bed. Is the oil pressure sensor a common fail item on the Versys (2009)?? I'll have a more thorough look at things when I get another day off I guess.

In any event, these tired old eyes can't see squat in the wiring diagram hard copy so I made a large scan and started a little colorizing. If anyone is interested in a large file you can copy it from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?w3zn6h3j5nfed21

It looks like this only several times larger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 02:23 PM
djg

I had the oil light come on intermittently on my new '09 until I changed the oil. I have a new sender but never had to put it in. I don't recommend you run it with OP light on, but I did.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
I had the oil light come on intermittently on my new '09 until I changed the oil. I have a new sender but never had to put it in. I don't recommend you run it with OP light on, but I did.
Thanks for the input DJG. Do you remember what kind of mileage you had on that oil? I have less than 200 miles, seems low for the viscosity to drop enough to be a problem, but I'll definitely change it out to see if it fixes the issue.

Apparently not a common problem, kind of curious circuit though. Original model looks to have had a warning light delay unit that was removed on later models. Wonder if the pressure switch changed along with the absence of the delay unit.

Hoping to get a good fix on this, I plan on doing a lot of solo riding out in the boondocks on this bike. Was yours a one time event? Thanks again.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
::::
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95453 View Post
The oil pressure sensor is on the right front underside of the engine just aft of the oil filter. It works by grounding out when the oil pressure is low.

Its wire passes to the rear of the motor and up the frame, under the tank, etc.

On my Versys, the wire passes right next to where the long bolt and spacer for the SWM crashbars are installed.

It would be my guess that when you installed your crashbars you caught that wire between the spacer and the frame and pinched it, shorting out the wire to the frame. This would cause the oil light to remain on constantly (when the key is on).

You can unplug the wire from the sensor, and if the oil light continues to be on, you have a short (not an oil pressure problem).

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
Michael was right. I had damaged the wire going to the oil pressure sensor when I installed the long bolt that joins the crash bars together. This caused a short that caused my oil light to stay on. I was able to solder the wires together and all works fine again.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Invader, but I've given the wiring a thorough look over and no problems there, I was pretty careful during the guards install. I wish it were as easy as mending a wire but there appears to be something else going on.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:00 PM

Mine did the same. The morning of my first ride on it, no less! It would go away after turning ignition off, then back on. After the 3rd time, I pulled some covers off, to see if the connection to the sending unit was pushed on securely. Has not done it since(1100 miles).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode