Help, I found an o-ring!!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Help, I found an o-ring!!!

Just broke in the engine and changed the oil. After pouring the old engine oil into a container, I found an o-ring (black) the size of a quater (maybe a bit smaller) at the bottom and I am not sure where it goes. Also, I found a little green and white piece of plastic (about 1/4 of an inch long) what is this? Any help would be great since this is my first versys...

Last edited by dsmisfits; 03-21-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That's weird... All you removed were the oil drain plug and the oil filter? Can you get a pic of the green and white plastic piece? The O-ring is round? Is it possible that they were already in the container before?

Ohhh, I get it! You're a spammer in training!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Funny, no. Yes all I did was remove the oil drain plug and the oil filter. I cleaned and wiped down the oil catch bucket prior to changing the oil. Yes, the o-ring is round. I look at bike bandit and I cannot find a view with an o-ring. I am going to go take a picture and post it in a minute.

Last edited by dsmisfits; 03-22-2011 at 12:01 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 11:49 PM

Get a picture with your Versys in the background.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

in the garage

the day I bought it.

Is there a chance that the o-ring goes on the screw before the oil filter? Just an idea..
Here you go.

Last edited by dsmisfits; 03-22-2011 at 12:07 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 12:16 AM

The white and green plastic pin might be just a fairing moulding cast residue... The O-ring goes on your oil cap fill plug.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

The green and white thing actually is not a hard piece of plastic, actually crumbles when touched. And the o-ring had to come off the bike. Maybe an extra o-ring someone dropped or left over part. I can tell you for a fact that everything was cleaned before changing the oil, because I wanted to see how bad the oil would be and to see the metal flakes everyone talks about.

Last edited by dsmisfits; 03-22-2011 at 12:33 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I did not have an o-ring on the oil fill cap. Wow, that scared me. Thanks for your help. I wonder if the little green thing is Kawasakis way of knowing when the first oil change has been done. I had a similar thing on my expedition when I first had the tranny fluid changed, they said that is fords way of knowing if the vehicle has been serviced before. who knows, thanks for your help.. I love the versys by the way.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 02:29 PM
djg

Glad you worked that out. I can't imagine that o ring coming out the tiny oil drain hole.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 07:12 PM

I had an 1987 (I think that was the year) Yamaha Virago 1100. After about 10 months and 10,000 miles I found a diameter ball bearing in the oil when I changed it. I contacted my dealer who contacted Yamaha. No one was sure where the bearing could have come from. Their only idea was that it had been dropped into the crank case accidently during assembly. They offered me 2 choices. They would completely tear down the engine for free and check everything possible for any harm the floating bearing could have caused OR they would give me an unlimited millage guarantee if anything every happened to the engine that could be attributed to that bearing. I chose the latter as the motor showed no signs of any harm at all. Now that is what I call a good dealer and a manufacture that stands behind its products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode