Front tire wearing faster than the rear? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Front tire wearing faster than the rear?

My V is wearing out the front tire faster than the rear tire, and in my 25+ years of riding on the street, I have never experienced this with any other bike I've had. I read posters here and they seem to experience that same thing on their V's (fronts last longer than their rears). On most of the bikes I have had in the past, I could go 2 rears for every 1 front. With my OEM tires, the front wore out about 1.5K before the rear (at about 7K). I thought this just might be a deal with the stock Dunlops, but it is happening with the Shinko's I replaced them with. I even put an 009 up front and an 006 in the rear because the 009 is supposed to be their longest wearing tire. The rear wears normally from my experience (in the middle mostly), but the front is showing uneven cupping on the sides and seems to be wearing mostly on the sides before the middle.

The bike has 10K on it and is stock except for a Givi wind screen and a Kawi top case. The suspension is as it came from the factory--the shock seems fine, but the forks might be a tad bit stiff; I don't mind that because I hate fork dive under hard breaking. My commute and riding haven't changed.

Any thoughts or ideas why this might be happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 08:13 PM

Yep, I had close to 10k on mine and the rear looked like it had 1k left, but the front was cupped and worn out. I like corners but I would not say I'm an aggressive rider by any means.
I had the thought that it might be the front suspension? I guess 10k miles ain't bad on rubber though.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 08:49 PM

My front also is wearing faster than the rear. My personal considerations may or may not apply in your situation.

#1- The front tire travels further than the rear in corners. It has more miles on it. Always will.

#2- Not being professionally trained, when I corner I think I fight against the natural direction of travel for the front wheel as it is slightly opposite the actual direction of travel of the bike. I'm thinking I've been sort-of bulldoggin' her around, for example, right handers by keeping the bars turned slightly right, instead of slightly left!

Just guessing tho'.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Bulldoggin lol. Right handers can only be done by trying to turn handlebars to the left, and vice versa for left handers. This inevitable countersteering force does wear front tire faster on either side of center when pushing it in a turn... The Versys' unique chassis and suspension geometry may be contributing to its relatively faster wearing front tire.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 09:30 AM

Unless your doing a ton of track days and your getting front end push then the culprit is most likely going to be alignment and or balance of the tire. It sounds like your not doing track days so check the forks and make sure they are seated in the triple at the same level mine where not from the dealer and I had to correct that. If the forks are set propley then pull the front and go get it balanced.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 09:40 AM

The terrain you ride in makes a big difference. In my neck of the woods, I have mostly twisty asphalt and chip and seal, which is murder on sport touring tires. My RoadSmart Dunlop front only made it 5k last time, hoping to get more from the new Michelin I am putting on now.

My Album:
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 11:11 AM

Interesting. I always thought fronts wore faster than rears just because there were more forces on the tire involved with turning and braking. Plus, the tires are generally proportionally smaller so there's less rubber.

It never occurred to me that wear rates SHOULD be the same.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:06 PM

My original tire on my 09 lasted less than 1800 miles. The rear looked over half gone so I replaced them both at the same time. It depends on road surface conditions and riding style. By the way, I check the air pressure regularly.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versman View Post
My original tire on my 09 lasted less than 1800 miles.
You do know that on the Versys you don't have to use full front brake, full throttle and half clutch to pull away, right?

Edit:
Oh never mind. That would have been appropriate smart-assery if you were talking about your rear tire, but your comment is about your front tire.
Still, awesome rubber-scrubbing there.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Huh... my fronts are lasting longer. In fact, my front Roadsmart outlasted the rear by twice as much. I just installed a brand new Conti Road Attack 2 on the front. Sticks like glue, and dead sexy!

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Huh... my fronts are lasting longer. In fact, my front Roadsmart outlasted the rear by twice as much. I just installed a brand new Conti Road Attack 2 on the front. Sticks like glue, and dead sexy!
Sexy tires? Too much Lone Star Rick.

Since I just changed the rubber out, I guess I will hope for another 10k out of both. So far, I like the performance on the Battlax BT023F sport touring tires.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Sexy tires? Too much Lone Star Rick.

Since I just changed the rubber out, I guess I will hope for another 10k out of both. So far, I like the performance on the Battlax BT023F sport touring tires.

Front to rear tire wear difference will vary between different tires, riding/turning/braking style, load, speed and road conditions...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post

Front to rear tire wear difference will vary between different tires, riding/turning/braking style, load, speed and road conditions...

Could have something to do with it....

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 08:38 PM

interesting thread. on my old vfr, i would use a sport-touring rear with a sportbike front. that wouldn't work as well if the front wears faster. i'll have to keep an eye on the wear rates. presently, all i've noticed was the flatspot on the rear, but i haven't taken a good look at the front....

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 12:53 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
I wonder about that. I have the original Conti RoadAttacks on my Z for about 5,000 miles now, and it seems the front is getting near the wearbars, but the rear looks fine. Never happened with the OEM Dunlops or the Pilot Road 2's I had on before. Might just be the specific tire, though with everyone else having this issue, I doubt it. Guess I'll watch it for a while and see what happens...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
My original oem tyres, front lasted 13,000km and rear 8000km, my 2nd rear a Pirelli Stada also lasted 8000km and my front pirelli strada is still going strong at just over 9000km. Have a pirelli angel on rear now and its looking good at 6000km and will/should get more Km's out of it than the previous two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode