post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
synthetic oil?

or Petro based in your Versys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 03:41 PM

I'm using royal purple 15/40 I think, I also use the walmart brand 3.5 inch filter... I changed the out the royal purple oil at 5k miles and it was still really quite clean...

08 Versys 32+k and counting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Walmart sells a filter that fits!?!

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnail View Post
Walmart sells a filter that fits!?!
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...hread.php?t=96

WalMart SuperTech ST7317, about $2. Made by Champion
its 3.25 inches I lied sorry...

08 Versys 32+k and counting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wal Mart also sells Mobil 1 Racing 4T synthetic 10W-40 motorcycle oil. I use Amsoil synthetic Formula 4-Stroke PowerSports 0W-40...
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 08:20 PM

i currently run valvoline 10w 40 4 stroke motorcycle oil, i have 950 mi. later on i'll switch to amsoil..... after a few thousand mi.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 09:02 PM

What is the advantage of synthetic? What are the pluses and minus of fossil vs. synth?

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 10:28 PM

synthetic has less friction to it, reduces wear to parts , less thermal breakdown...on a motor like the V that only uses a few quarts it's a nice advantage.....my local bike shop mechanic swears by amsoil, uses it exclusively.....i'ven used it with great results, more money , but i like the peace of mind
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 09:34 AM

I have read that synthetic oil should not be used before 5000 miles to assure proper wear-in of the parts. Any one??

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

States I've ridden in so far

post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 10:11 AM

plenty of opinions on that subject.....personnally i agree with my mechanic and good friend...if your rings haven't seated in 2000 miles...they won't... after that you want to slow down the wear process....just one opinion....
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunamichop007 View Post
plenty of opinions on that subject.....personnally i agree with my mechanic and good friend...if your rings haven't seated in 2000 miles...they won't... after that you want to slow down the wear process....just one opinion....

I am by no means an oil expert , but after much studying and many inquiries amongst the folks I do trust , I would have to agree with tsunami whole heartedly . Although to my understanding , your rings are what they are quite early in the game , much earlier than even 1000 miles . I did run Kawasaki oil up to my 4th oil change which was right at 1000 miles .
Seems to be doing wonderfully .

I use Rotella T Synthetic and change my oil every 400-500 miles . I did do the hard set on my rings and the amount of noticeable powere is amazing .
I know , I know , changing the oil that often is nuts . LOL . But hey , I never said I wuzzunt nuts anyway . LOL
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 12:33 PM

if your running rotella synthetic and are still changing the oil every 500 miles....why not just run the same oil but change the filter? your still gonna have to top off the oil after a filter change, that way after about the 4th filter change you've completely cycled all the oil in the motor?
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 12:51 PM

Rotella T Synth every 4000 miles.

I switch to synth on my new bikes at their first regular service oil change (usually 4000 miles). Why add another oil change just to switch?

It's true, a new engine will not break in properly running synthetic. Bike engines are usually broken in by 1000 miles.
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PO-SLOKE View Post
I am by no means an oil expert , but after much studying and many inquiries amongst the folks I do trust , I would have to agree with tsunami whole heartedly . Although to my understanding , your rings are what they are quite early in the game , much earlier than even 1000 miles . I did run Kawasaki oil up to my 4th oil change which was right at 1000 miles .

I use Rotella T Synthetic and change my oil every 400-500 miles . I did do the hard set on my rings and the amount of noticeable powere is amazing .
I know , I know , changing the oil that often is nuts . LOL . But hey , I never said I wuzzunt nuts anyway . LOL
Changing your oil every 400-500 miles is just nuts, waste of money..
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PO-SLOKE View Post

dern sloke.......u better slow down..... u gonna wear the threads out of the oil pan !!.
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 01:58 PM

Yep
4-500 miles for oil
air filter every 3rd oil change
bleed brake lines every other oil change
radiator fluch every 4-5,000

My 4 wheelers get the same treatment
My Pickups , every 2,000 for oil with same program on the air , brakes and radiator .

Obsessed with fluid changes ? Maybe so . BUT ........ My stuff is not gonna suffer due to grime or poor maintenance for sure . LOL
I mean , can you really change it to often ? The answer is NO NO NO . LOL . If there were harm to be done by changing fluids like I do , I can assure you I would not do it . I have asked every single TRUE engine guru I have ever met if there was any notable harm in that sort of maintenance . They all say the same thing . Harm to my wallet is about it . LOL

Although , I have considered the wear and tear on a oil pan . Therefore I use extreme caution when tightening and always use a NEW crush washer at every change . LOL
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 02:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to scaryfast777 Send a message via Skype™ to scaryfast777
Amsoil 10w-40 full syn is the way to go. I've just made my second oil change with amsoil. Amsoils recommendation is 4000 mile oil change interval. I put about 2000 miles on my first full synthetic oil change instead of the recommended 4000 because there was probably still a little residual left of the "break-in" oil that mixed with the full synthetic. I can attest to the fact that there is a notable difference in clutch feel and response. It is soooo much smoother than using crappy petrol based oil. Since one of the versys main issues (for some people) is the engine braking / tight gearbox, I feel as if it makes these two issues much easier to cope with due to smoother clutch operation. Its well worth the extra $$. Plus, if you ever want to send your oil off to be analyzed, amsoil offers a service at a small charge for this. Pretty cool if you ask me.

-Scaryfast777

The Secret To Creativity Is knowing How To Hide Your Sources. -Albert Einstein
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 02:02 PM

That's nuts man..... Following the maintenance schedule layed out by Kawasaki is not "poor maintenance".

But hey, it's your money. By my calcs you have wasted almost $100 to my every oil change.
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 02:35 PM

Man , the last thing I want to do to my Kawasaki is go by the Kawasaki maint manual . LOL . That's like feeding your dog the recommended amount of dog food on a bag . Your dog will out weigh you in a years time and live about half as long as it should . They just want to sell me another bike , I want to keep this one . LOL
To me , it isn't wasted money , it is a clean engine . Maybe I should start recooping some of my cash and reselling my oil to other bikers . LOL
I really did not say anytong about poor maint., but now that you mention it , I suppose it is IMHO , of course . I just really like to know it is all clean in there .

I would not even remotely venture to say my way is right and yours is wrong . Neither am I saying my way is wrong . Savvy ? My bro ?

Simply put , folks were stating their oil preferences and I stated mine . That's all . I sure didn't mean to offend or draw any ill will bro . I didn't agree , disagree or otherwise . I just stated mine . Didn't say I was right . Just said .
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 02:45 PM

No prob man, it's all money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode