Brass Cam with Spring - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Brass Cam with Spring

The photos show a brass cam with spring behind it, but here is my question. My bike was running rough and when I finally stopped, I checked this cam and noticed that if I forcibly moved it all to one end, the bike was running much smoother. So I did move it to one end and left it there. When I returned home I looked into it and noticed the spring behind the cam. However, the spring is not attached to the cam, so I suspect it has broken. How I check it is I hold the throttle wide open, rotate the brass cam all the way up and all the way down, but the spring does not move. I even put a dab of white paint to confirm what I was feeling. I assume the spring should be attached to the cam and therefore my spring is broken. All I know is this has to do with throttle and idle. Any help is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017 Maine Vacation 035.jpg (55.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 2017 Maine Vacation 036.jpg (65.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 2017 Maine Vacation 037.jpg (60.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 2017 Maine Vacation 038.jpg (44.3 KB, 70 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It looks normal, but you should not forcibly rotate your sub-throttle/fast idle actuator... It needs to be inspected and serviced properly. Is your normal idle set to 1300 rpm?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Invader, yes idle speed fine at close to 1300 rpm per bike tach. My question is what is the purpose of the spring behind the cam if not attached to anything? I would have thought the spring would be attached to the brass cam, but is not.

Last edited by toofer; 09-06-2017 at 08:20 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Found out this is part of the throttle body assembly, and not showing available as a cam and a spring. Cost of assy is over $600 from a dealership. Going out riding again and see what happens. But, the spring behind the cam is not now attached to the cam, just spins clockwise and counter clockwise. Can anyone check theirs and confirm what I have on my 09 or let me know if your spring is attached to the cam? Thanks.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
[QUOTE=toofer;1440682]Found out this is part of the throttle body assembly, and not showing available as a cam and a spring. Cost of assy is over $600 from a dealership. Going out riding again and see what happens. But, the spring behind the cam is not now attached to the cam, just spins clockwise and counter clockwise. Can anyone check theirs and confirm what I have on my 09 or let me know if your spring is attached to the cam? Thanks.[/QUOTE

go to E bay last week I saw a whole throttle body assy for $20-might be worth getting just to see how it works before you tear yours apart--Also I kept looking at the pictures something just didn't look right-not sure if there is any difference between a Gen1 and a Gen 3 throttle body if not yours is missing a part-the silver cold high idle adjustment screw with a spring on it should have a stripe of yellow paint on it-factory sealed is not in the picture

Deep in Cajun Country
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

motorboy: Zoomed out photo a bit, this is what I'm looking at. I think the adjustment screw you mention is readily seen right now. Never thought of checking on ebay but I first need to verify that the spring behind the cam should be attached to something.

I removed the nut off the cam, it is keyed, but was unable to simply pull it off the screw so I can look at the spring and the other side of the cam. I'm thinking it should have a hole in it and the spring should have a 90 degree stub that would engage the cam.

I did not try tools to force the cam off the screw. Plan to stop by a Honda shop tomorrow and talk with them for "free advice".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017 Maine Vacation 036.jpg (65.7 KB, 34 views)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Your right, better picture it's there- for some reason your first set of pictures I could not enlarge so I was looking at the small pictures-just checked E-bay now they have many for sale from $30 up-good luck

Deep in Cajun Country

Last edited by motorboy; 09-08-2017 at 01:12 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 01:49 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
just went and looked on my 09 and spring feels like its attached (doesnt spin freely like yours)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
just went and looked on my 09 and spring feels like its attached (doesnt spin freely like yours)
Silviefox, Thanks so much. I believe I think I know what the spring controls. It controls the fast idle speed of the bike, when the bike is first started up and the engine is cold. I recall that the bike would idle fast, then eventually drop down to about 1300 rpm when I would start it up when engine was cold. Now, when I start up a cold engine, it idles at about 1300. Been doing this for about the last year or more. Since I seldom ride when temperatures are below 60 deg F, I had ignored the symptom.

This is logical and explains the bike running rough the other day when it appeared the cam was stuck. Bike had been running rough even though it'd been on the road for 1 1/2 hours. Since then I have sprayed the cam shaft and spring with Deep Creep, and it now moves freely - no binding.

I'll order a used throttle body off ebay as suggested by motorboy in a previous post if unable to find just the spring behind the cam.

Thanks again so much.

Have a great day.

Last edited by toofer; 09-08-2017 at 04:51 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
Your right, better picture it's there- for some reason your first set of pictures I could not enlarge so I was looking at the small pictures-just checked E-bay now they have many for sale from $30 up-good luck
motorboy, Thanks for the ebay suggestion. If unable to purchase just the spring, I'll get one off ebay as you suggested. Prices seem to run from $38 to several hundred dollars. Thank you.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
Silviefox, Thanks so much. I believe I think I know what the spring controls. It controls the fast idle speed of the bike, when the bike is first started up and the engine is cold. I recall that the bike would idle fast, then eventually drop down to about 1300 rpm when I would start it up when engine was cold. Now, when I start up a cold engine, it idles at about 1300. Been doing this for about the last year or more. Since I seldom ride when temperatures are below 60 deg F, I had ignored the symptom.

This is logical and explains the bike running rough the other day when it appeared the cam was stuck. Bike had been running rough even though it'd been on the road for 1 1/2 hours. Since then I have sprayed the cam shaft and spring with Deep Creep, and it now moves freely - no binding.

I'll order a used throttle body off ebay as suggested by motorboy in a previous post if unable to find just the spring behind the cam.

Thanks again so much.

Have a great day.
yes that cam is the throttle advance (raises the idle for cold start) when you first turn your key to the on position does it actuate back then forward ?

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode