Extra Early Oil Changes - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Extra Early Oil Changes

Just an FYI. I performed my second oil change this afternoon at 1937 miles. The first oil change was at 595 miles.

When I dumped the oil into my big recycle jug, there was lots of metal particles in the pan. If you see my sticky'd oil change thread above, you'll see what came out at the first change. There was AT LEAST double that amount of material in the second oil change (after 1342 miles).

An extra oil change or two as recommended by Motoman (whatever happened to him?) may benefit the long-term durability of the engine.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 04:30 PM

If there is metal in the pan, that must mean it was too heavy to circulate or it would be in the filter, Right? Or am I missing something?

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

States I've ridden in so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Looks more like metallic dust to me. The oil had a shimmer to it. I figure it's better out than in.

Don
"ride more, worry less"

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 08:41 AM

Hell I've changed my oil twice, and filter once already. I've got 473 miles.

I'm a big proponent of multiple oil & filter changes early on in the motors life. It WILL make a difference in longevity!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacktracker View Post
Looks more like metallic dust to me. The oil had a shimmer to it. I figure it's better out than in.
I agree (was not being argumentative) I was just thinking out loud so to speak...

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

States I've ridden in so far

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 09:54 AM

about when should we stop these early oil changes?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 11:45 AM

oil change

I have 9,500 miles on my bike and have never seen any metal in my oil when I've changed it. I did my first oil change at 500 miles. Now I change the oil every 2,000 miles. I guess to really check for metal I'd have to pour the used oil through a fine screen. But just dumping it into a container I never seen anything.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 02:24 PM

I changed mine at 100, 500, 1200, then at 1800 went with mobil 1 full synthetic motorcycle racing oil. I have owned many bikes and did a similar process with them and the results were always very good. Never noticed any material in the old oil.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 10:23 PM

I change my oil at 50 miles after the engine goes through the first heat cycle. There was nothing in the oil that time, or at the following oil changes (600, 3K, 6K).

Gustavo
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 06:19 AM

oil

I change my oil every 4000km.....never seen any metal particles at all.....I don't understand why some of u guys change it so often....I think the manual says every 7500 km or something.........it seems to me a waste of oil....
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 09:35 PM

M1

I also use Mobil 1 in my bike and have a great results. I started with 10-w40 in spring, but went to 15w-40 when it was super hot this summer down in the South East. Still rolling strong.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave58 View Post
I change my oil every 4000km.....never seen any metal particles at all.....I don't understand why some of u guys change it so often....I think the manual says every 7500 km or something.........it seems to me a waste of oil....
4000 km is only 2500 miles. I'll go 3000 miles on regular oil once I'm passed break in. Since only takes 2 1/4 quarts and about 10 minutes, I can't see it as a problem.

The only real way to see how long YOU can use YOUR choice of oil is to have an oil analysis performed. Even then, interpretation of the data is a black art in itself. Do you make sure you have a reserve of TBN? Perhaps the presence of a high TAN? Do you look at grade? Wear metals? Fuel dilution? Since an analysis is about $20, changing the oil itself is cheaper.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 10:55 AM

I follow Kawi's schedule. They have warehouses full of broken R&D engines, and probably know the best interval for this engine.

How many R&D 650R engines does motoman have?

BTW - I have never had any oil related engine issues out of the four bikes I have owned following the manuf's maintenance schedule.
Actually, I've never had ANY engine issues.
Nor mechanical either.

And I push my bikes hard often.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Understandable logic.

With only 2 1/2 quarts of oil in the whole engine, I have a tough time believing it can go 7500 miles between changes. I'll probably do an oil analysis after 5000 and see how it's doing.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 10:08 AM

Nothing wrong with changing your oil more often than the manual suggests. I don't even use miles, I usually get bored after a few months and change it. Piece of mind also goes a long way, don't you always notice it runs better after an oil change or after you wash it? =-))
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 12:38 PM

I posted this >>>>>> ..... In this thread ....http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...2831#post12831

And recieved much critisizim . I say change it every other mile if you so choose . It does no harm . As long as you don't stretch the threads in the oil pan .

Yep
4-500 miles for oil
air filter every 3rd oil change
bleed brake lines every other oil change
radiator fluch every 4-5,000

My 4 wheelers get the same treatment
My Pickups , every 2,000 for oil with same program on the air , brakes and radiator .

Obsessed with fluid changes ? Maybe so . BUT ........ My stuff is not gonna suffer due to grime or poor maintenance for sure . LOL
I mean , can you really change it to often ? The answer is NO NO NO . LOL . If there were harm to be done by changing fluids like I do , I can assure you I would not do it . I have asked every single TRUE engine guru I have ever met if there was any notable harm in that sort of maintenance . They all say the same thing . Harm to my wallet is about it . LOL

Although , I have considered the wear and tear on a oil pan . Therefore I use extreme caution when tightening and always use a NEW crush washer at every change . LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode