Chain tension is different in different places - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Chain tension is different in different places

I just replaced the front sprocket with the 16 tooth model. When I went to adjust the chain I noticed that in the tightest part the sag is just under 1" But at the loosest part it's nearly 2". Is that OK/normal to have that much of a difference? I rechecked the sprocket and it seems fine.

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 09:14 PM

It does not sound good to me. Few weeks ago I replaced my chain for similar reasons as you see. The sprockets actually look still decent. When I replaced the chain with the same sprockets, the tension then stayed the same throughout the chain travel. About a week later though the front sprocket was replaced since it showed a very slight wear.

But that was with 27,000 miles on the original chain. How many miles do you have on that chain?

To me, shops adjust the chain too tight and I like them on the loose side with about 1 1/2" of travel.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 09:05 AM

Chain tension in different places is normal. Always adjust according to the tightest spot.

However, your play seems excessive. How many miles are on the chain?
Move the loosest section of chain to the rear of the back sprocket. Then pull it away from the sprocket from the rear. If you can see daylight between the sprocket and chain, then the chain is worn out. Replace it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 09:06 AM

BTW - 1" is too tight. You need 1.5 " of travel on the tightest part of the chain.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the words so far. The chain is still pretty new - just under 4000 miles. I checked to see if it had stretched and it doesn't seem to have done that.

The manual calls for the chain to be between 1" and 1.5". I can't remember who it was, but someone said that they set their chain at .8" with the new non-dampered sprocket and it kept the harmonic hum down. But I understand you guys when you recommend 1.5" - I've usually set my chains a bit loose also. If I did that however, the loosest part would then be abut 2.5 inches - way too loose.

What kind of differences do you find on your chains between the tightest and the loosest part? Is a one inch difference more than normal?

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 09:49 PM

Sprocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docteric View Post
I just replaced the front sprocket with the 16 tooth model. When I went to adjust the chain I noticed that in the tightest part the sag is just under 1" But at the loosest part it's nearly 2". Is that OK/normal to have that much of a difference? I rechecked the sprocket and it seems fine.
If you replace a sprocket you replace both and also the chain. You won't see it with your eyes but you can't put a new sprocket on an old chain that was strectched and also worn.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 03:32 PM

If you can flip sprocket over, run it on the other side. And if a chain goes funky in any way REPLACE it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

When I realigned my rear wheel (noted on another thread) I reset the chain tension and there was not a lot of difference between the tightest and the losest parts anymore. I have no idea why it was off, but it seems to be fine now. I clean and oil my chain every few weeks or so anyway, so I'll keep my eye on it.

Thanks for all the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode