Checked my frame as suggested - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Checked my frame as suggested

Sure enough, the right side was almost 1/4" out. I shimmed it and it's fine. The left side was right on and did not need shimming. I'm sending these pics to Kawasaki with a complaint and also to my dealer for a head's up.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 05-26-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Am I not seeing a small gap on the left side? Wasn't the right side gap bigger with the left side tightened?
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 02:00 PM

Interesting... Did you have to lift the motor somehow when you took out the right side mounting bolt?

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Am I not seeing a small gap on the left side? Wasn't the right side gap bigger with the left side tightened?
No there was not a gap of noticeable difference when I tightened the right side. All the gap was on the Right.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnaversys View Post
Interesting... Did you have to lift the motor somehow when you took out the right side mounting bolt?
No, you don't have to lift the motor at all.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 04:23 PM

Whoa! What is this engine gap problem!? I haven't heard of this before.....are the dealers taking care o fthis PRIOR to the sale? It seems to me they should fix this issue BEFORE the bike is sold.....and BEFORE it's on the showroom floor!!

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, thatís a statistic sample size of 1, category ďanecdotal evidenceĒ, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
Whoa! What is this engine gap problem!? I haven't heard of this before.....are the dealers taking care o fthis PRIOR to the sale? It seems to me they should fix this issue BEFORE the bike is sold.....and BEFORE it's on the showroom floor!!
Here's a complete history on this issue. Most dealers are unaware of it and I think Kawasaki is only addressing the issue as it comes up per individual. It should be a factory recall.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ighlight=frame

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 09:17 AM

Dallasdon, the problem is with two washers like that I am betting your bolt does not engage enough threads on the mount bolt nut. That is the problem I noticed with two washers. Next time I head toward the hardware store I am going to buy a longer bolt so I can use two washers. I am worried about any lateral tension on the frame weld.

I still can't believe this passed Kawi quality control.

Last edited by XCRider; 09-01-2008 at 09:19 AM.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 10:02 AM

For you guys using two washers on the right and then noticing that you don't have any gap on the right: That is because you have taken all of the gap out already. When you put two washers on the right, you are moving the engine left, tightening up the gap on the left side. If you put one washer on the right, you'll see a small gap on the left. I put one washer on each side and noticed almost no gap and evenly distributed the thread depth on the mounting bolts.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 10:07 AM

First thanks for the excellent pictures,second,Kawasaki needs to address this,a year after the first reports,here and overseas and its still happening??? Third I just checked mine,still nice tight and flush on both sides.

AMA EAA STN
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blz2dwl View Post
For you guys using two washers on the right and then noticing that you don't have any gap on the right: That is because you have taken all of the gap out already. When you put two washers on the right, you are moving the engine left, tightening up the gap on the left side. If you put one washer on the right, you'll see a small gap on the left. I put one washer on each side and noticed almost no gap and evenly distributed the thread depth on the mounting bolts.

I used one washer on both sides, however I could still have used another one on the right, but like I stated earlier; The bolt just isn't long enough to safely use two washers.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider View Post
I used one washer on both sides, however I could still have used another one on the right, but like I stated earlier; The bolt just isn't long enough to safely use two washers.
You can get a bolt 1/2" longer from Lowes in the Metric Bolt area. It cost $2.86 each. I couldn't find a self locking nut so I used a lock washer. Been there,done that.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

I took both bolts out at the same time and there was virtually no space on the left and about 1/4" on the right. I shimmed the right with a longer bolt and two washers. I had to use a lock washer and a standard nut because of the thread difference I couldn't use the factory nut.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddjack View Post
First thanks for the excellent pictures,second,Kawasaki needs to address this,a year after the first reports,here and overseas and its still happening??? Third I just checked mine,still nice tight and flush on both sides.
When you checked yours, did you unbolt them and check for any space? If you just looked at them, they appear fine because they pulled the frame mount down above torque specs to close that distance.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
I took both bolts out at the same time and there was virtually no space on the left and about 1/4" on the right. I shimmed the right with a longer bolt and two washers. I had to use a lock washer and a standard nut because of the thread difference I couldn't use the factory nut.

Thanks, that is exactly what I am planning to do on my next trip to lowes. You already saw the problem with the bolt length and were way ahead of me.

I am curious to see how long (if at all) Kawasaki takes to issue a recall on this.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 08:45 AM

does anyone know the torque value for this bolt.......thanks
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Torque value

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUDZOO View Post
does anyone know the torque value for this bolt.......thanks
The 2007 manual says 32 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, but I gurantee you that the right one on mine was 2 to 3 times that much because they had to pull the frame up to the engine. It was very, very hard to get off and I ended up using my Impact wrench to remove it.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 03:07 PM

Cheap bolts are nuts!

Just a thought, but I'm betting that your average Lowe's bolt is not nearly as strong or as tough as a motor mount bolt from the bike's manufacturer. I go to the local ACO all the time, and get nuts and bolts for my many motorcycle restoration projects - but I always make sure I buy Grade 8 or higher. Fasteners on bikes see much more stress, strain, corrosion, etc. than your standard hardware store stuff. I'd certainly never use a standard hardware store bolt to secure a bike motor in it's mount. Just my two cents.

HandKPhil
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 07:13 PM

Lowes had grade 8 bolts when I was there about 2 weeks ago
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Lowes had grade 8 bolts when I was there about 2 weeks ago
Thats what I used.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode