Wiring an ignition switch - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2017, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wiring an ignition switch

2012 650 Versys, In my previous post you'll see the bike was in an accident and I got it for cheap and swapped the front end from a CBR929. My problem is fitting the verses ignition into place. Its too long and bulky to fit correctly. So i will be fitting an older 4 pin ignition from another bike to it.

My bikes ignition is currently a 7 wire ignition switch and I need to wire it into a 4 wire switch.

My current 7 wires are - White (Power to ignition), Brown (hot from ignition to fuse in ON), Grey (signal with inline resistor for security to computer), Red (hot to lights in ON), Blue (hot to lights in ON), Wht/GRN (lights acc), Wht/Blk (power to ignition).

When the Ignition is ON the following are connected - Red and Blue, W/Grn and W/Blk, White and Brown, and Grey to ignition.

On my 4 pin ignition I believe the wiring is as follows:

Black IG All black wires- all feeding 12V
Brown/W TL1 (headlight switch)
Red BAT (main fuse)
Orange TL2 (tail light fuse)

From the wiring diagram Ive found RED is the main power and would correlate with my WHT wire. Orange only seems to feed the rear tail light. Brown goes to the speedometer lights, and handle bar switches. Black goes to everything that needs power - tail light oil light, turn signal buzzer, headlight, some of the handle bar switches.

As I figure this out I am editing this until someone replies. My main question is why there are separate wires for the tail light (orange wire) on the honda ignition, and on my ignition there are 3 different wires that feed the turn signals (W/G), license plate lights (Red) , and brake light (Blue). Then the brown feeds headlight, stop/start switch, reg/rec, etc. Best I can figure, on the 4 pin Ign, the tail light is separate so in the 3rd key position battery feeds the lights only (parking lights/tail light).

Ok, so heres where Im at.

7 Pin Ign - Brown seems to feed everything (headlight, Reg/Rec, Stop/Start) so that should go to Black of 4 pin, since black seems to feed everything.
7 Pin Ign - Red and White are connected in PARK and 4 PIN Red and Orange are connected. So Red to Orange wire
7 Pin Ign - White obviously goes to Red 4 pin since they both come from battery Positive and feed the other wires in ignition
7 Pin Ign - remainders go to Brown 4 pin.

I did notice on the 7 Pin in park - White red connected. W/Blk and W/Grn are connected. So this throws me for a loop since the 4 pin can only connect orange and red. Would I wire w/blk and w/green together at the Orange as well as at the Brown?

Ive included pics of the ignitions position connections
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 12.03.05 PM.jpg (21.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 12.02.47 PM.jpg (6.9 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by borjawil; 09-01-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well that did the trick. Only difference is the white and black goes to the white.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by borjawil View Post
Well that did the trick. Only difference is the white and black goes to the white.
You have it sorted out??, too late in the evening to try and understand what the ignition and tail light wiring has in common.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in