• 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By NightRider
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
New bike wouldn't start

2017 650 LT with 70 miles on it. Drove it to work this morning and got there at 7:45a. No issues. About an hour after I arrived it began to rain. Heavy downpour for about 10 min, then cleared up. Sunny and warm the rest of the day. I went to leave at 3:45. Turned the key while standing next to the bike and the display lit up, headlight came on. Pushed the starter and nothing. Turned the key off, tried again, nothing. Tried a third time. Had power (display, horn, signals, etc.)...just wouldn't start. Then I remembered reading something about faulty kickstand switches and how they could strand you (the bike was in neutral by the way). I sat on the bike, raised the stand and lowered it again. Turned the key on, hit the starter and it fired right up. What might have caused this? Could the rain have messed with a switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
That should not be happening on a new bike? I would be headed back to the dealer if you cant find any obvious loose connections. Haven't had any problems on my 2016.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 10:15 PM

Garage
Agree with above, take it back to the dealer. Water should have no affect on it. Motorcycles are made to get wet. Possibly a bad connection or just a faulty switch.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bale2011 View Post
2017 650 LT with 70 miles on it. Drove it to work this morning and got there at 7:45a. No issues. About an hour after I arrived it began to rain. Heavy downpour for about 10 min, then cleared up. Sunny and warm the rest of the day. I went to leave at 3:45. Turned the key while standing next to the bike and the display lit up, headlight came on. Pushed the starter and nothing. Turned the key off, tried again, nothing. Tried a third time. Had power (display, horn, signals, etc.)...just wouldn't start. Then I remembered reading something about faulty kickstand switches and how they could strand you (the bike was in neutral by the way). I sat on the bike, raised the stand and lowered it again. Turned the key on, hit the starter and it fired right up. What might have caused this? Could the rain have messed with a switch?
Couple things, the kickstand has nothing to do with starting when in neutral, unless you have a poor ground on the neutral switch. .Not going to spend much time here, it is under warranty. First you said you started with the Stand Down, normally it will only start with the stand up and the clutch pulled in while in any gear. When in neutral you can start stand down or stand up, doesn't matter.
silviefox and NightRider like this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 12:08 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Rotten Ronnie
I had this problem while touring in Nova Scotia.

It turned out the clutch switch connector had become separated. Squeezed it back together to sort it out.

Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Kawasaki Versys 650, 2001 Honda XR400R (street plated)
Ride Reports and other drivel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
SOMEHOW (I'll bet) your bike thought it was in gear..., or WAS.
aboyandhisversys likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
So it started with the stand down
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
SOMEHOW (I'll bet) your bike thought it was in gear..., or WAS.
Must be they wired the 2017 different, my bike won't start with the stand down no matter if the clutch is in and I am doing the happy dance with my feet.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 01:32 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
This 2017 V (don't know about previous models), same as mine, has a sensor that shuts down the engine the moment the bike is dropped on the side.
I haven't read the instructions beforehand so I learned the slow way that once you get the bike up, you can't start it until you turn the key to off first (to reset the sensor).
So in case you accidentally drop it, you should know this (hopefully you won't need it).

Last edited by NightRider; 09-01-2017 at 01:36 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=NightRider;1436954]This 2017 V (don't know about previous models), same as mine, has a sensor that shuts down the engine the moment the bike is dropped on the side.
I haven't read the instructions beforehand so I learned the slow way that once you get the bike up, you can't start it until you turn the key to off first (to reset the sensor).
So in case you accidentally drop it, you should know this (hopefully you won't need it).[/QUOTE
Tip over sensor 2007 on, all have them, and yes it is a signal to the ECU, motor will crank, but won't start until you key off. Yup, how would I know that, from experience, you know one of those oh s****T and all I have is my front brake and push steering, yes, down you go. Embarrassing when riding with someone and they turn around and your laying on the road having a nap, with the bike on top of you, so you pick it up, everything is good, ignition is still on, hey lets Go. OH OH it won't start, first thing through your mind s***T , then , WTF did I break, then your brain common sense and knowledge kicks in, tip over switch, yup , been there done that. Thought we all could use some entertainment with all the disasters going on
Rotten Ronnie and quexpress like this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 09:09 PM

Garage
Kill switch in "run" position? Kick stand up and down a few times? Bike in neutral? Let us know what it was!
onewizard likes this.

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyversystheworld View Post
Kill switch in "run" position? Kick stand up and down a few times? Bike in neutral? Let us know what it was!
Well, I still don't know. The bike has started/stopped and run flawless over an additional 120 miles. The bike had been in neutral, kill switch in run position, etc. What seemed to change things was when I raised and then lowered the kickstand. I can routinely stand next to the bike and start it to let it warm up with the kickstand down.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Detail/ Chain of Events

Quote:
Well, I still don't know. The bike has started/stopped and run flawless over an additional 120 miles. The bike had been in neutral, kill switch in run position, etc. What seemed to change things was when I raised and then lowered the kickstand. I can routinely stand next to the bike and start it to let it warm up with the kickstand down.
Your kind of post is what I did for a living, trouble shooting inverters/drives/anything electric, and I continue even being retired. Your description / detail/ and chain of events seems very clear to me, no doubt in my mind that what you describe is exactly what transpired. Just looked at the electrical drawing, the kill switch engine / stop switch, supplies power to the stick coils and to the start button/ relay circuit. Keying on , the pump primes, the City lights come on ( you mentioned headlight on, which shouldn't be, if it is please double check that) but pressing the start button nothing happens, as the kill switch supplies power to the start button.
So if you ever have a similar problem, try operating your kill switch without keying off.There have been members that have had the kill switch give them trouble, bike stored outside etc., but on the MK-1 and MK-2, the MK-3 has seen some major changes to covering the electrics and protection from water of these . One thing that is significant is there are 6 frame grounds on the MK-3.
andyversystheworld likes this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...I can routinely stand next to the bike and start it to let it warm up with the kickstand down.
Which is how it's designed to operate.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 04:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
There have been members that have had the kill switch give them trouble, bike stored outside etc., but on the MK-1 and MK-2, the MK-3 has seen some major changes to covering the electrics and protection from water of these.
Is that why it's recommended in the manual to turn the bike off with the key rather than the kill switch?
So as not to wear the kill switch out and to prevent issues like these?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 08:30 AM

Garage
Good logic, which is what it takes to analyze electrical issues. You must think like a electron! When I have issues like this, I often have to step back, take a breath, and thing through the problem, often talking to my self in the process! That usually straightens it out for me. (My neighbors look at me kind of weird though).

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRider View Post
Is that why it's recommended in the manual to turn the bike off with the key rather than the kill switch?
So as not to wear the kill switch out and to prevent issues like these?
NO - it's so you don't forget to turn the ignition key to OFF, draining the battery IF it's left ON. Here's a video that I just got today which debunks the issue, from MOTORCYCLIST magazine:

MC Garage Video: Debunking the Motorcycle Kill-Switch Mystery

https://mg.mail.yahoo.com/d/folders/...a1u4g7FQFFDNbA

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 11:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
NO - it's so you don't forget to turn the ignition key to OFF, draining the battery IF it's left ON.
Well there's no chance of that happening, since I need to lock the steering and take the key with me.
My reason for using the kill switch was always one of concern actually, in case somebody somehow managed to the bypass the lock or get a hold of my key I always hope they'd forget the kill switch and give up (because that actually happens to us too).
I was actually thinking of adding a second kill switch somewhere under the front fairing for security purpose, hidden but accessible by hand so I'm the only one who knows about it.
quexpress likes this.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRider View Post
Well there's no chance of that happening, since I need to lock the steering and take the key with me. ....
I ALWAYS hold the clutch lever IN, bike in gear, then put my sidestand DOWN, thus shutting OFF the engine. Then I lock the steering (way LESS damage IF it falls over).
NightRider likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode