Break Lever blues - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Break Lever blues

I need to replace my break lever after dropping my bike in the driveway. It was bent like a fishhook. After trying to straighten it, I was successful in making it look like a well diciplined snake. I am tired of looking at this bad memory of a stupid mistake and I must redeem myself with a new lever. Here is my gripe. I looked up my faithfull bikebandit.com folks schematic of the 'V'. I found the clutch lever at about $11 and change. Then I found the right brake lever at $42 and change. I don't get it, almost 4x the cost of the clutch lever. What's up??? It cannot cost any more to produce the break lever than the clutch lever. Maybe a notch or a groove extra but 4 times the expense. I'm now thinking that I need to keep my old lever as a reminder of the money I am saving not the stupid mistake I made. How about aftermarket levers? Any ideas?... scott...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havakaw View Post
I need to replace my break lever after dropping my bike in the driveway. It was bent like a fishhook. After trying to straighten it, I was successful in making it look like a well diciplined snake. I am tired of looking at this bad memory of a stupid mistake and I must redeem myself with a new lever. Here is my gripe. I looked up my faithfull bikebandit.com folks schematic of the 'V'. I found the clutch lever at about $11 and change. Then I found the right brake lever at $42 and change. I don't get it, almost 4x the cost of the clutch lever. What's up??? It cannot cost any more to produce the break lever than the clutch lever. Maybe a notch or a groove extra but 4 times the expense. I'm now thinking that I need to keep my old lever as a reminder of the money I am saving not the stupid mistake I made. How about aftermarket levers? Any ideas?... scott...
I've went through this same process when I broke mine. And no, I have no idea why the front brake lever is more expensive.

1) You won't find the lever for cheap. Any online store (ron ayers, babbitts, etc. ) will have the lever for cheaper than the dealer, but they'll make up the difference in shipping. Unless you live in an extremely high priced area.

2) Aftermarket "pazzo" levers are approximately $180/set. Imagine breaking one of those!

I spent approximately 3 hours browsing the web for another compatible aftermarket lever and couldn't find a one... but I won't look at retailers in countries other than the US.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 11:12 AM

I've been told that the 650R and EX500 use the same levers. Try to find one of those on the cheap.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enemy Zero View Post
I've been told that the 650R and EX500 use the same levers. Try to find one of those on the cheap.
The kawa part number is 13236-1337 , if you do a reverse lookup on the part number on ronayers.com fiche, it shows that it is indeed also used on the 650R, but says nothing about the 500.

As far as whether the 500's will work, I don't know
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 10:21 PM

Looking on RonAyers.com 's microfiche the 500R has the 13236 number but it ends in a 1185. I don't know if that is a way to designate a color or anything like that as I've seen that type of thing from Kawi in the past.

I do know that when I bought my Pazzo levers, the box was marked as "Versys, 650R and EX 500" so I'd be willing to give it a try as the bike has been around since the 80's and parts should be readily available. The numbers are slightly different though so it's up to you to try it if you want.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 12:12 AM

There are other aftermarket levers available, some as cheap as $70 for much higher quality. Also, I believe pazzo guarantees their levers for life, if you drop or scratch they will repair for free, and some models are labeled as unbreakable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode