• 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bike shuts down on throttle action

Hey guys,

I've got a bit of a problem with my V 2011. ABS model. When I blip the throttle little faster either on downshift or when static and with clutch pulled in, there is no response from the motor, no power, just a hiss of some sorts like a valve being released. At first that didn't kill the engine off, but now the bike just shuts off. It's not common, but it's been happening for fair bit of times now. If I release the throttle and apply it again, the power kicks with no problem. That is if the bike hasn't gone dead. It sounds like a vacuum being released, just a brief hiss.

Other than that it behaves normally, starts fine, pulls ok, idle runs fine, fuel consumption is fine... The only thing that I've changed on a bike is aftermarket slip-on instead of original one, but don't think that could be the cause, it was happening even on stock exhaust, just without the shutting off part. With this new slip on, I do get backfire (even a little flame from time to time ) on down throttle, but I guess it's normal because the cat is gone with stock one.

Any ideas would be appreciated very much.

Thanks in advance and cheers!

'11 650 ABS

36yo and just starting. It's newer too late, just do it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Check Vacuum Lines

Very first thing is check all your vacuum lines, in fact I would buy about 5 feet of 3.2 mm vacuum line, follow my post and extend your capped lines out for doing a TB sync http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/1428354-post1.html , you will need to buy some 3.2mm plugs as well . My second thought is you need to check your throttle position sensor, you really need the auxiliary harness by Kawi or make one. I would put money on the vacuum line being cracked, as this has happened to several members here with the same MK-2 Versys. Even on a MK-3 Versys. FYI I am suggesting replacing ALL the vacuum line, including the line to the intake vacuum sensor located on the lower left side of the / below/ the gas tank. You should also have a error code stored in the bike if it is shutting down.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Very first thing is check all your vacuum lines, in fact I would buy about 5 feet of 3.2 mm vacuum line, follow my post and extend your capped lines out for doing a TB sync http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/1428354-post1.html , you will need to buy some 3.2mm plugs as well . My second thought is you need to check your throttle position sensor, you really need the auxiliary harness by Kawi or make one. I would put money on the vacuum line being cracked, as this has happened to several members here with the same MK-2 Versys. Even on a MK-3 Versys. FYI I am suggesting replacing ALL the vacuum line, including the line to the intake vacuum sensor located on the lower left side of the / below/ the gas tank. You should also have a error code stored in the bike if it is shutting down.

Thanks onewizard! I thought that it might be related to vacuum lines but I'm moderately skilled when it comes to mechanics and a noob rider as well. I'll check all that you recommended as soon as possible.

'11 650 ABS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
How many kilometers on your Versys, Samwise? Is your normal idle speed set to 1,300 rpm? Have you vacuum synchronized the throttle bodies, replaced spark plugs, cleaned and re-oiled air filter, inspected and adjusted valve clearances, etc?
onewizard and Samwise like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
How many kilometers on your Versys, Samwise? Is your normal idle speed set to 1,300 rpm? Have you vacuum synchronized the throttle bodies, replaced spark plugs, cleaned and re-oiled air filter, inspected and adjusted valve clearances, etc?
Hi invader,

30,500 km. Idle speed is 1,250, I was thinking getting it up to 1,300 but I guess it's not big of a difference because the bike runs fine other than the problem I described. Did not do any of the things you said, I know I should have, just didn't have time/money for. The bike is originally from Switzerland, and in very good shape, those guys really take good care with their machines. The problem is that I didn't get full service history for it and I should do all that stuff you mentioned.

Cheers!

'11 650 ABS

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Vacuum Hose Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise View Post
Hi invader,

30,500 km. Idle speed is 1,250, I was thinking getting it up to 1,300 but I guess it's not big of a difference because the bike runs fine other than the problem I described. Did not do any of the things you said, I know I should have, just didn't have time/money for. The bike is originally from Switzerland, and in very good shape, those guys really take good care with their machines. The problem is that I didn't get full service history for it and I should do all that stuff you mentioned.

Cheers!
If you look in the How To forum, instructions exist for almost any service you might wish to do. 30,000 KM you are over do for the valve shim check. Tight valves on one cylinder will throw the vacuum off, idle speed is important the charging system will go negative below 1350 RPM, what I mean by that is base load is greater than the output of the stator below 1350 RPM, you will be discharging your battery at idle . I will repeat myself here, I am almost certain you have a vacuum line problem and possibly a air filter problem. Really simple to fix, buy like I said 5 or six feet of 3.2mm reinforced if you can get it vacuum line, if you are really stuck for a source you can get windshield washer rubber line which is 3.2 mm , not as good a quality and not reinforced, but it would work.
Thanks for posting.
Samwise likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
If you look in the How To forum, instructions exist for almost any service you might wish to do. 30,000 KM you are over do for the valve shim check. Tight valves on one cylinder will throw the vacuum off, idle speed is important the charging system will go negative below 1350 RPM, what I mean by that is base load is greater than the output of the stator below 1350 RPM, you will be discharging your battery at idle . I will repeat myself here, I am almost certain you have a vacuum line problem and possibly a air filter problem. Really simple to fix, buy like I said 5 or six feet of 3.2mm reinforced if you can get it vacuum line, if you are really stuck for a source you can get windshield washer rubber line which is 3.2 mm , not as good a quality and not reinforced, but it would work.
Thanks for posting.
Hmmm, valve check is, according to service manual, at 42,000 km (26,250 miles) so it's probably ok. Will check air filter and vacuum lines first, and I've been checking the battery periodically and it holds fine.

Thank you for your help guys, really awesome!

'11 650 ABS

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Valve Shim

Quote:
Hmmm, valve check is, according to service manual, at 42,000 km (26,250 miles) so it's probably ok. Will check air filter and vacuum lines first, and I've been checking the battery periodically and it holds fine.

Thank you for your help guys, really awesome!
Many of us, on all 3 versions have found tight valves, well before the suggested service date,I just did my 2015 at 11,500 KM
I had cylinder #2 tight, out of spec. This directly affects the vacuum sync. Tight exhaust valve leads to engine failure, and because it is a very expensive service, many members on this forum have been contributing to a step by step process since 2008, I am in the final stages of posting my 2015 valve shim , right now it is stuck in the How To forum. Vacuum lines should fix the problem, if not we can direct you to the next step, just remember we have all been there, some have had a very expensive repair because they didn't listen, then posted that they should have as it would have saved $$$$$.
I prefer to be riding on the bike rather than working on it, having said this, I need to check my shift linkage today as I had a hard time up-shifting yesterday.
Samwise likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi invader,

Cheers!
How many kms when you bought it? Don't forget about your original 30,500 km spark plugs! You can inspect valve clearances at the same time, and also service your air filter and inspect vacuum hoses. Then you can vacuum synch the throttle bodies asap.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
How many kms when you bought it? Don't forget about your original 30,500 km spark plugs! You can inspect valve clearances at the same time, and also service your air filter and inspect vacuum hoses. Then you can vacuum synch the throttle bodies asap.
When I bought it was about 27.000. So I'll be doing a change on those spark plugs, air filter, and will inspect vacuum hoses soon. As for valve clearances and throttle body sync, I don't have proper tools to do that unfortunately. That will have to wait until I get them or until I take it to some bike shop (not many good ones near me ). Also I need to check idle speed with some precision tool, I raised it a bit and I don't think I had another problem with loss of power/throttle since.

'11 650 ABS

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
...Also I need to check idle speed with some precision tool....
FWIW - I have ALWAYS set my idle-speed by watching my tachometer.
invader likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode