Do you use your phone on your bike? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Do you use your phone on your bike?

IMO the motorcycle specific GPS has been made obsolete with the latest generation of smart phones. Just got a new LG6 and it is water resistant, at least as much as high end motorcycle specific GPS units, and has amazing battery and charging performance. It also has similar screen dimensions and a sharper screen than the high end GPS units plus it has the capability to function as a great video and still camera off the bike with dual lens. When combined with a bluetooth headset you get GPS voice instructions, music, and of course phone functionality.

Motorcycle manufacturers need to offer blue tooth bike/phone integration with a corresponding app, to allow display of monitored and also easily calculated values (with motion sensors on phone) such as engine tempature, ambient air tempature, error codes, exact rpm, acceleration, braking performance, dyno simulation, lean angle, corning G force, gear selection, etc.. This would be extremely cheap and easy to do with existing technology like $1 blue tooth chips. Some of this is already available such as lean angle reporting without bike connectivity with apps like Pirelli Diablo Super Bike app which is free. They could also offer handle bar controls similar to what cars now offer on their steering wheel to control music selection, phone call control, etc.. How about after market handle bar mounted phone controls?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Where I ride cell service is sparse. I will stick with my zumo 660.
DavidR8 likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 06:27 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
yup, its my gps, music , scanner, and radar....
BEACHBUM likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yep. Paired with my sena headset I can call, message, play music and navigate to places all with my voice. It's a great setup.
CJRuffner likes this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
You do not need cell service to use your phone as a GPS or to get other functionality. For instance if you are using Google Maps as your GPS app, you can download the map area ahead of time ( and it will keep the map data updated while at home on WIFI). Just click on "Offline Maps" in the app, then scale down the map area by pinching to select the largest area possible around your riding area and download the map. Most other GPS apps, such as CO Pilot, come with their own maps that reside on your phone.

Google GPS Maps, IMO, is the most refined of the GPS apps, and has faultless GPS map data. The only issue with GPS apps and GPS units in general is they tend to route for efficiency, not for fun roads.

Newer phones with Siri or OK Google (or what ever they have recently changed the name to with recent enhancements) will also allow you to do things like find rest stops, nearby gas stations, nearby hotels or camping, nearby points of interest or pretty much anything, while you ride with only voice commands while you ride, this however requires phone network connectivity and a blue tooth headset.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-23-2017 at 07:03 PM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
You do not need cell service to use your phone as a GPS or to get other functionality. For instance if you are using Google Maps as your GPS app, you can download the map area ahead of time ( and it will keep the map data updated while at home on WIFI). Just click on "Offline Maps" in the app, then scale down the map area by pinching to select the largest area possible around your riding area and download the map. Most other GPS apps, such as CO Pilot, come with their own maps that reside on your phone.

Google GPS Maps, IMO, is the most refined of the GPS apps, and has faultless GPS map data. The only issue with GPS apps and GPS units in general is they tend to route for efficiency, not for fun roads.

Newer phones with Siri or OK Google (or what ever they have recently changed the name to with recent enhancements) will also allow you to do things like find rest stops, nearby gas stations, nearby hotels or camping, or nearby points of interest while you ride with only voice commands, this however requires phone network connectivity and a blue tooth headset.

Always check the "avoid highways" box in Google maps for the better route
aemacleod likes this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 08:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Data and phone reception work off two different bandwidths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
yup, its my gps, music , scanner, and radar....
Same
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I don't feel the need for a smart phone....I like my flip phone. When i want to take a photo i use my camera. Have had my Zumo 550 since 2010 so my calls go through that. I like having a dedicated GPS. I don't want to be one of those people that are to dependent on their phone...Hey I'm an old guy "Get Off My Lawn"
turn8a likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 09:04 PM

Shaking. My. Head.

Taking phone calls while riding =

Let the butt hurt flow now...
Smiley likes this.

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium [ Sold: Feb. 2019 ]
Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case, Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust, Moto Werk 1" risers, Grab On grip covers
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407guy View Post
Shaking. My. Head.

Taking phone calls while riding =

Let the butt hurt flow now...
No different or more distracting than talking to other riders via intercom while riding or a passenger in the car. It's not like you are taking your eyes off the road to dial. You simply touch the jog dial on the side of helmet to answer a call. To dial you can use voice commands. That said, in dense city traffic with people constantly entering the roadway, cutting in, running beside me in adjacent lane, etc.. I like to not be distracted by anything, cruising a straight stretch of highway is a different matter though.
alphaecho4386 likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-23-2017 at 09:49 PM.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 09:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
Data and phone reception work off two different bandwidths.

Same
If there is no phone reception, there definitely is no data reception. I am stuck with AT&T and it has lousy coverage most places I go.

I already have the Zumo 660, so no need to rely on my phone or predict where I am going to be so I can download a map at home. Plus, there is a lot of vibration on bikes and the Zumo is rated for the vibration as well as waterproof.

The only thing I like about the google maps is the live traffic if you have service. But when I am riding I see maybe a car every 15 minutes to 30 minutes.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 11:18 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
If there is no phone reception, there definitely is no data reception. I am stuck with AT&T and it has lousy coverage most places I go.

I already have the Zumo 660, so no need to rely on my phone or predict where I am going to be so I can download a map at home. Plus, there is a lot of vibration on bikes and the Zumo is rated for the vibration as well as waterproof.

The only thing I like about the google maps is the live traffic if you have service. But when I am riding I see maybe a car every 15 minutes to 30 minutes.
dont need data for gps, just download offline maps of the areas you will be that there is no data coverage

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I don't feel the need for a smart phone....I like my flip phone. When i want to take a photo i use my camera. Have had my Zumo 550 since 2010 so my calls go through that. I like having a dedicated GPS. I don't want to be one of those people that are to dependent on their phone...Hey I'm an old guy "Get Off My Lawn"

Same here...
turn8a and weljo2001 like this.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 07:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
No different or more distracting than talking to other riders via intercom while riding or a passenger in the car. It's not like you are taking your eyes off the road to dial. You simply touch the jog dial on the side of helmet to answer a call. To dial you can use voice commands. That said, in dense city traffic with people constantly entering the roadway, cutting in, running beside me in adjacent lane, etc.. I like to not be distracted by anything, cruising a straight stretch of highway is a different matter though.
Actually, studies have shown that it is different. When talking with a passenger and you suddenly shut up or cut the wheel or hit the brakes they are going to shut up. plus they are usually looking as well and might spot some danger and tell you. The person on the other end of the phone conversation isn't going to do that.

Same goes for other riders who are obviously riding in close proximity to you.

Studies have also shown that having a thoughtful conversation on the phone while driving is equivalent to driving under the influence. Trying to answer questions and access your memory while driving is dangerous. Just listening to your mom drone on telling you every minutia of her day while you drone down the interstate, maybe. I know that when I am concentrating on driving, I don't hear every word the person is saying because I can't recall it later.
Smiley and aemacleod like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 07:38 AM

Garage
Quote:

Newer phones with Siri or OK Google (or what ever they have recently changed the name to with recent enhancements) will also allow you to do things like find rest stops, nearby gas stations, nearby hotels or camping, nearby points of interest or pretty much anything, while you ride with only voice commands while you ride, this however requires phone network connectivity and a blue tooth headset.
how large of an area can you download to use off line and how much memory does it take?

My GPS has POIs already installed in it. Does google maps download POIs as well as the maps for offline use? My routes rarely cross a gas station, so I have to purposely reroute towards a town so I can fuel up. The nearest gas station feature comes in handy.

Plus, on my Zumo 660, I can pic the exact roads I want to ride and it will route me onto those roads. I can also pick shortest distance. Google only lets you avoid highways or not.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 08:37 AM

My phone is paired with a Sena SMH10 helmet communication set up. Never thought I would like one until a friend and I did the Lake Superior Circle Tour together using the Sena. So much nicer being able to talk without yelling and diverting attention away from the road. Obstacles in the road, gas and restroom stops, and interesting sights along the way can all be shared while safely cruising along. Having audible turn by turn directions from google is awesome too. Can also keep in touch with wife and kids when necessary. Most of the time people don't even realize you are on a motorcycle the sound is so clear. Music available too, although I seldom use that option. Although some may think its just another distraction I believe you can actually ride much safer when you use one.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
how large of an area can you download to use off line and how much memory does it take?

My GPS has POIs already installed in it. Does google maps download POIs as well as the maps for offline use? My routes rarely cross a gas station, so I have to purposely reroute towards a town so I can fuel up. The nearest gas station feature comes in handy.

Plus, on my Zumo 660, I can pic the exact roads I want to ride and it will route me onto those roads. I can also pick shortest distance. Google only lets you avoid highways or not.
You require network connectivity to get POI with google maps unless you mark them. I believe Google maps allows you to download up to a 200km x 200km square of a map although you can download as many map squares as you want.

There are dozens of GPS apps you can download, some are free, some are pay. They all have different features. Suggest viewing videos on youtube on motorcycle phone apps, their are lots. GPS Apps that have their own maps that stow on phone allow you to put them on an SD card rather than using phone memory. Of the other GPS apps I've tried I like Co Pilot. It functions like the software on a sophisticated dedicated GPS and has it's own maps and POI data stored on phone including gas stations and restaurants, there is also a free version with most functionality except live traffic updates. It also allows importation of GPX files (your own routes). It will also allow you to store large map files and POI files on an SD card.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-24-2017 at 09:40 AM.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
No, I do not use my phone on the bike, either to talk or as a GPS.

On my recent "ride across Canada" there were MANY areas my phone did NOT work, but my GPS worked EVERYWHERE!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 09:48 PM

Garage
I do use the phone while riding. I have a bluetooth helmet. The phone is the wireless music player most of the time. I have created a bluetooth controller from a concourse left controller. K-ACT is next track, K-TRC is previous track. windscreen up /down is volume up/down, and mode is play/pause.

Where / when the phone became an asset was when my wife was coming from work and saw a down red bike on the expressway. We work in same area and did not carpool that day. She called me in tears thinking I would not answer as it was me on the ground. So I answered. (it does that automatically) We talked for the hour commute home. So the phone made her feel better and that was good for me.

I keep the phone in a hard plastic waterproof case, in the trunk(33l tail bag). The only problem I have is some days I think did I forget my phone. Did that the other day while listening to music and just ended a call to the wife. Damn CRS kicks in. (Cerebral Retention Syndrome, or in layman terms Cant Remember SH*T)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg left_driver.jpg (19.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg let_front.jpg (21.0 KB, 23 views)

'08 Red V
Mods - Lets just say I probably "NEED" more
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 10:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
You require network connectivity to get POI with google maps unless you mark them. I believe Google maps allows you to download up to a 200km x 200km square of a map although you can download as many map squares as you want.

There are dozens of GPS apps you can download, some are free, some are pay. They all have different features. Suggest viewing videos on youtube on motorcycle phone apps, their are lots. GPS Apps that have their own maps that stow on phone allow you to put them on an SD card rather than using phone memory. Of the other GPS apps I've tried I like Co Pilot. It functions like the software on a sophisticated dedicated GPS and has it's own maps and POI data stored on phone including gas stations and restaurants, there is also a free version with most functionality except live traffic updates. It also allows importation of GPX files (your own routes). It will also allow you to store large map files and POI files on an SD card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mODNOG8AllU

Unfortunately, I can't download apps unless they are on the approved list. Fortunately, I don't pay for my phone service.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode