Drips, droops, and other disasters - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Rotten Ronnie
Unhappy Drips, droops, and other disasters

I took the V out for a three day cruise round the southern part of Nova Scotia, ride report here, and over the 1800km ride and camp trip, experienced a few problems with the bike that now has 71,000 km on the odo.

First off, I pulled in for a cup of coffee, sat down on the curb to finish it, and noticed that my right front fork seal was leaking.

I still had another 1500 km to go at this point, so I wiped it off and kept on keeping on.

Day 2 it was looking a tad worse, flinging oil and nicely waterproofing some of my plastics...

Later on, I found that I was hearing some noise from the chain, but only when I was on throttle. If the clutch was in on the bike in neutral, the noise went away, so I figured I missed an opportunity to lube the chain, or been riding too much gravel again, so stopped and hit it with the spray.

Love that Endurostar.com stand!

The noise went away completely, and I thought I had it all sorted, that is until I got it back into the garage and had a good look at the fork seal.

I'd had success in the past using the Seal Mate product to clean and recover my left front seal, so thought to try it on the right leg, now that it was leaking a wee pool down over the brake disc and onto the garage floor.

The first thing I noticed was that the dust cover was not fitting very firmly to the fork cylinder, and of course there was all sorts of grit and grime under it, and the seal mate hauled out more grit than I was expecting. I left the bike with a rag wrapped around the lower fork to see if it would stay dry overnight supporting just it's own weight now that the seal had been cleaned up, but it was not meant to be, and in only a couple of hours, the fork was damp again with a slow trickle from underneath the seal and down the leg into the rag. Great, now I need to order that fork spring compressor tool up from the states, $40 bucks for the tool, with another $40 shipping clapped on top. I think I'm going to take some measurements and try to make my own out of bolts and plumbing or gas fitting parts from Home Depot, as I've seen quite a few examples of DIY jobs in this forum and on the internet.

Now, I might as well adjust the chain while I have the bike up on stands, right? I put my chain alignment tool on the sprocket, give a go on both sides, tighten things up and give the wheel a spin to check to see if it has stretched unevenly. Yep, it's fine over 3/4 of the chain, then 1/4 is actually tight with very little give! As I rotate the wheel, I'm hearing a rhythmic grinding noise (think 1Hz) at 0 degrees (think of me wiping a bit of oil onto the top of the hub and using it as a reference point). It turns out that whenever the wheel hits 0 degrees, the chain is tight, and I hear that grinding noise again. Bother! I think I'm overdue for a new set of wheel bearings in the rear end, and might as well do the front at the same time.

Today I ordered in the new fork seals and dust covers, wheel bearings for front and rear), chain and sprockets (I'm going to go with a 16T up front and the regular 46T in the rear) and a few other bits like a spare air filter and a pair of iridium plugs.

I'll also be searching for threads on wheel bearing How-To while I'm waiting for the parts to arrive.

What can I say? If you don't ride it, it will never break down on you.

I read through the forum and watched this series of videos for the forks:
No Video

Any advice or suggestions regarding the forks or bearings? ("Stop riding" is not the answer I'm looking for. :P )
Kyle E likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Kawasaki Versys 650, 2001 Honda XR400R (street plated)
Ride Reports and other drivel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Rotten Ronnie; 08-23-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
How To Forum

Lots of info in the How To Forum, just recent fork spring change added. I need to run but check back later, I will try and provide links.

Could you post a close up of your prop stand and how it was made / where you got it and I will add it to the How To Forum
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
That's an awesome trip and write up! Thank you!

Great, now I need to order that fork spring compressor tool up from the states, $40 bucks for the tool, with another $40 shipping clapped on top.

What generation is your Versys? Did you see Eddie's write up? He had fabricated a spring compressor.

A compressor such as this one below could also do the job. I have used mine more than a few times on USD forks. It's easy to fabricate and clones the Laser Tool one.

If there's any interest, I could post the fabrication steps of that tool.

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fork_compress01.jpg (9.4 KB, 132 views)

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Last edited by quexpress; 08-23-2017 at 11:45 AM.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool Enduro Star Trail Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Lots of info in the How To Forum, just recent fork spring change added. I need to run but check back later, I will try and provide links.

Could you post a close up of your prop stand and how it was made / where you got it and I will add it to the How To Forum
I started out using a piece of 2 by 4 in the garage on my KLR, and when I saw the Enduro Star trail stand advertised on ADVRider.com, I knew I had to own one.

Full review here

This thing gets hauled on all my tours lasting more than a day, and sits in my tool box in the garage for those quick "Lube the chain you idiot!" moments when the bike gets wheeled out into the sunlight.

I've owned two, but had to sacrifice one to my brother-in-law rather than hurt his feelings.

Available in the states at Enduro Star / Trail Stand

Thanks for the offer of links, especially on the wheel bearings. Think low budget method.

post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post

Great, now I need to order that fork spring compressor tool up from the states, $40 bucks for the tool, with another $40 shipping clapped on top.

What generation is your Versys? Did you see Eddie's write up? He had fabricated a spring compressor.

A compressor such as this one below could also do the job. I have used mine more than a few times on USD forks. It's easy to fabricate and clones the Laser Tool one.

Good luck!
I've the Generation 1, 2009 Versys.

I did see that write up, and I've found others on the net using different styles and designs that I think I can copy in the plumbing section at home depot and the drill press in the garage.

From the video I referenced above, I figure the axle, tool and a couple of ratchet straps should do the job, and a piece of sheet steel to hold the rod. Do I really need the "rod that holds that other rod"? On the video he simply used some long necked needle nose pliers to get it done.

That is one slick spring compressor! How much did it cost you to make? Is there a thread, and if not, you should create one.
onewizard and quexpress like this.

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
You Asked/ New Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post

Good luck!
Here you go edited the title so it is easier to find, right now Eddie has dibs on the starter post http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...-probably.html
Rotten Ronnie likes this.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Here you go edited the title so it is easier to find, right now Eddie has dibs on the starter post http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...-probably.html

Thanks, that's one of the threads I've been viewing.

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 04:03 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
after cleaning your seals did you actuate the forks a bit (pump them up and down)? i noticed when i firsst cleaned mine when it was leaking i got a ton of crap out and they kept leaking then i cleaned them again and not much came out other then oil , then i wiped down the fork pumped them a few times and the leaks stopped, its been months now and still no leaking motion pro to the rescue again

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
after cleaning your seals did you actuate the forks a bit (pump them up and down)? i noticed when i firsst cleaned mine when it was leaking i got a ton of crap out and they kept leaking then i cleaned them again and not much came out other then oil , then i wiped down the fork pumped them a few times and the leaks stopped, its been months now and still no leaking motion pro to the rescue again

I did not. I'll go out and beat on it again.
silviefox likes this.

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 06:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Ronnie View Post
I did not. I'll go out and beat on it again.
best of luck, hope it fixes it

yes im a guy.

post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 09:24 PM

Cool Homemade USD fork spring compressor

Quote:
That is one slick spring compressor! How much did it cost you to make? Is there a thread, and if not, you should create one.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ompressor.html

I do not remember how much it cost me (approximately 5 years ago). However it was not expensive: $15 to $20 (Canadian dollars) for the clamp, $4 or $5 for the galvanized union, a few dollars for the nuts and bolts, and maybe $20 to $30 for the welder.

Note: I have used different DIY fork compressors in the past. IMHO they do not hold a candle to this one. It's a keeper!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Last edited by quexpress; 08-24-2017 at 08:46 AM.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm going to have a shot at the plumbing parts and the welding at the very least as I've a nephew with the know how and the itch.
quexpress likes this.

post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
best of luck, hope it fixes it
I jumped on it in the garage today, and the fork stayed dry. My nephew laughed, and told me "The oil is probably all drained out of it by now.", the cheeky bugger!

Seal Mate is well worth the $10 CDN I paid for for it, but I will be doing the seals and the bearings when the parts arrive, as it's time, and I need to check the oil levels with the springs out.

(Unless someone has the proper levels with springs in? I do have the syringe and a decent depth gauge... )

Right, off to Home Depot to pick up some plumbing parts courtesy of quexpress and his stellar fork spring compressor, and the cheeky Nephew has redeemed himself saying he'd weld the bits on when I'm ready.
quexpress likes this.

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
(Unless someone has the proper levels with springs in? I do have the syringe and a decent depth gauge... )...
It's in the SERVICE MANUAL.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
It's in the SERVICE MANUAL.
Quote:
Fork Oil Level:

Right Fork Leg 75 2 mm (3.0 0.08 in.) (fully compressed, without fork spring, below from the top of the outer tube)

Left Fork Leg 65 2 mm (2.6 0.08 in.) (fully compressed, without fork spring, below from the top of the outer tube)

Fork Spring Free Length 292.9 mm (11.53 in.) (Service limit 287 mm (11.3 in.))
But these are the spring OUT levels. Did I miss something?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Rotten Ronnie; 08-24-2017 at 09:42 PM.
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 05:01 PM
Amr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
great post man! Sorry to hear you ran into troubles, bike life!

I am planning a 4-day Nova Scotia trip next month!

Bike has 8,500 miles on it with a recent service done to it. Let's hope I don't run into any issues!
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 05:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
I jumped on it in the garage today, and the fork stayed dry. My nephew laughed, and told me "The oil is probably all drained out of it by now.", the cheeky bugger!

Seal Mate is well worth the $10 CDN I paid for for it, but I will be doing the seals and the bearings when the parts arrive, as it's time, and I need to check the oil levels with the springs out.

(Unless someone has the proper levels with springs in? I do have the syringe and a decent depth gauge... )

Right, off to Home Depot to pick up some plumbing parts courtesy of quexpress and his stellar fork spring compressor, and the cheeky Nephew has redeemed himself saying he'd weld the bits on when I'm ready.
no what it is is they are one way seals and when you "clean " them you pull the lip out and it isnt sealing properly. pumping the forks a few times helps work them back into place the way they are meant to be in

yes im a guy.

post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amr View Post
great post man! Sorry to hear you ran into troubles, bike life!

I am planning a 4-day Nova Scotia trip next month!

Bike has 8,500 miles on it with a recent service done to it. Let's hope I don't run into any issues!

I hope you include More than Just the Cabot Trail to your trip.

Look at Amherst NS on the map, then locate Advocate Harbour NS. That peninsula is a hoot to ride.

Now cut through the middle of the Province and aim for The coast to east of Dartmouth and run the coastal Route 7 then take Marine Drive north to Canso. Cross the causeway and take the Fleur-de-Lis trail up to Fortress Louisbourg, then head east and bypass the city of Sydney for the English town Ferry, ride the Cabot (all the construction should be completed by then), not forgetting Meat Cove (easy gravel unless it's really wet).

Once you cross the bridge back onto the mainland, ride the Sunrise trail and visit the Cape George lighthouse. After that feel free to blast on home but make a detour to Evans Notch on Route 113 then straight down through Conway and the Kancamagus Highway.

I can go on all day long, that V is the perfect platform for touring on a mix of asphalt and poor pavement right onto the gravel.

I miss my KLR when it comes to fork seals though. Pop off the forks, hit them with 100lbs of shop air, and watch those seals pop right out. Then you need a special tool called a chunk of pvc to drive the new ones home. Lol.

What tires are you running?
quexpress likes this.

post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
no what it is is they are one way seals and when you "clean " them you pull the lip out and it isnt sealing properly. pumping the forks a few times helps work them back into place the way they are meant to be in

Good to know, I think I did that last year, but then I am my own worst enemy when it comes to riding.

Ride, break, fix. Lol.

I read an older post about shock sox, and I can really see the benefit for my riding style of dusty dirt roads, those wonderful power or clutch up wheelies, and carving the corners on my Conti Trail Attack2s. I think it also points up my lack of post ride cleaning, as no doubt I pushed the seals right down over accumulated dirt when landing heavy on the front end.

The dust seal alone needs replacing regardless of the oil seal, as it was much looser than the fit of the left dust seal.

I bought a couple of bolts and nuts today at Home Depot and Home Hardware I found found the 2" pipe joint in black iron, so with a drill press and my nephews welding skill, I hope to have a spring compressor tool together by the time my order arrives from fortnine.ca
@Amr

Here are the ride reports for Nova Scotia that I mentioned. Picture heavy but they include all the maps of the routes.

Let me know if you would like a gpx or gdb file to go with them.

http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/...va-scotia.html

http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/...il-part-1.html

http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/...il-part-2.html
Amr likes this.

post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 03:30 PM
Amr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thank you! Will check this out!

Quote:
Here are the ride reports for Nova Scotia that I mentioned. Picture heavy but they include all the maps of the routes.

Let me know if you would like a gpx or gdb file to go with them.

http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/...va-scotia.html

http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/...il-part-1.html

http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/...il-part-2.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
chain, fork seal, nova scotia, sprocket, wheel bearing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode