3Likes
  • 2 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2017, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Fog lights and relay mk3 - DEAD??

Hey folks, so I'm doing a backyard wire up of some cheapy ebay foglights, I was testing one of the lights by making contact into the fog light connectors found on the left side next to front fork.
the foglight blinked rather than stay static which I thought was odd.
I then cut the existing connector off with the intention of crimping on some others.
Before doing this I decided to get the multimeter out and test the voltage.
No voltage???
Grabbed the light again and connected it. No light???
Grabbed the multimeter and switched it to continuity. No beep!!
Checked the USB port. No power!
Have I some how killed the Relay? and why??
Thanks in advance

West coast is best coast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My motovlog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2017, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Find the fuse for that circuit. If your year bike is like my '11 was, you have to purchase the relay that goes in the accessory circuit to wire up high draw components like heated grips or fog lights. You probably connected to the wire that is used to switch the relay on.

My Versys Travels:

Old 08-20-2017, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasama View Post
Hey folks, so I'm doing a backyard wire up of some cheapy ebay foglights, I was testing one of the lights by making contact into the fog light connectors found on the left side next to front fork.
the foglight blinked rather than stay static which I thought was odd.
I then cut the existing connector off with the intention of crimping on some others.
Before doing this I decided to get the multimeter out and test the voltage.
No voltage???
Grabbed the light again and connected it. No light???
Grabbed the multimeter and switched it to continuity. No beep!!
Checked the USB port. No power!
Have I some how killed the Relay? and why??
Thanks in advance
Check the specs for your ebay fog lights. Some switch on differently with power switch. For example. First turn on NORMAL, second turn on BLINKING, etc..

If they are LED fog lights you do not need a relay as the current draw is low. Just wire to high beam circuit unless of course they are the type that BLINK.

I have no idea how you've wired your system but if the USB Port and driving lights share a fuse, I would check it.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cheers guys!
Yup, rookie mistake, when removing the existing connector for the fog light, they must have brushed up and made contact, shorting and blowing the ACC 5A fuse.
Lesson learnt!
I've since crimped and sleeved the wires to avoid a repeat.
For the set up I'll be daisy chaining the lights, just waiting for the damn switch to arrive in the mail...

My motovlog

Old 08-21-2017, 07:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Cheers guys!
Yup, rookie mistake, when removing the existing connector for the fog light, they must have brushed up and made contact, shorting and blowing the ACC 5A fuse.
Lesson learnt!
I've since crimped and sleeved the wires to avoid a repeat.
For the set up I'll be daisy chaining the lights, just waiting for the damn switch to arrive in the mail...
When you say daisy chaining, that sounds like putting the lights in series. I believe you want the lights wired up in parallel.

My Versys Travels:

Old 08-21-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
When you say daisy chaining, that sounds like putting the lights in series. I believe you want the lights wired up in parallel.
Interesting you mention this as i was of the same opinion however when I was discussing mods with a friend he suggested I wire the lights in series because in a situation that one of the lights should fail, it would be easier to diagnose and replace, i.e no cutting and re-crimping.
That said i suppose it depends on the type of connectors i use.
Your thoughts?

My motovlog

Last edited by Tomasama; 08-21-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Interesting you mention this as i was of the same opinion however when I was discussing mods with a friend he suggested I wire the lights in series because in a situation that one of the lights should fail, it would be easier to diagnose and replace, i.e no cutting and re-crimping.
That said i suppose it depends on the type of connectors i use.
Your thoughts?
My brain is a little rusty in this area and don't have time to pull up my reference materials, but if you wire the lights in series and one of the lights blows, both lights will go out because you have broken the circuit. If you wire them in parallel, one light can go out and the other will still work.

My Versys Travels:

Old 08-22-2017, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
My brain is a little rusty in this area and don't have time to pull up my reference materials, but if you wire the lights in series and one of the lights blows, both lights will go out because you have broken the circuit. If you wire them in parallel, one light can go out and the other will still work.
Yes I'm following what you're saying,
If I connect in series then I can use standard M/F bullet connectors. If I want them parallel then I'll have to order some female double bullet terminals.
I guess my concern is aesthetic, how I connect them together and how neat the wiring is.
Other than what you mentioned, I guess there's no other differences in reliability.

My motovlog

Old 08-22-2017, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Electrical 101

Very first thing is what is the voltage rating of the Ebay lights? I assume 12 volt, only 1 right way to wire them, in parallel, real simple, one set of bullet connectors, connect a short piece of 16 gauge wire , single positive and single negative with proper colour code, the other end you connect as many lights as you want using either a wire connector or solder. FYI the auxiliary circuit is limited in power output. Read the thread below, as I have discussed it there.

read this : http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...5-earlier.html if you still don't know then ask again
Tomasama likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in