• 1 Post By quexpress
  • 2 Post By aboyandhisversys
  • 2 Post By HondaGalToo
  • 1 Post By CyclopsRider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gen3 engine coolant

Even though I've been riding for 30+ years, this is my first water-cooled bike. I know cars use a couple of different types of coolant nowadays that aren't interchangeable; no clue if motorcycles are the same. Any reason not to use this one on my 2015 V650? Thanks gang.
https://www.revzilla.com/product/max...olanol-coolant

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
<snip> ...this is my first water-cooled bike. I know cars use a couple of different types of coolant nowadays that aren't interchangeable; no clue if motorcycles are the same. Any reason not to use this one on my 2015 V650? Thanks gang.
I use Kawasaki brand coolant, that way you a) know the stuff works, and b) no warranty issues.

You can get the stuff on fleaBay and other outlets, sorta reasonably priced, I chuck out the old and insert new every 2 years, ditto with all other fluids: brake, blinker, and whatever the hell else I can reach.

https://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-Engi.../dp/B00QIX495A
turn8a and Doug Just Doug like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Even though I've been riding for 30+ years, this is my first water-cooled bike. I know cars use a couple of different types of coolant nowadays that aren't interchangeable; no clue if motorcycles are the same. Any reason not to use this one on my 2015 V650? Thanks gang.
Go for it Doug! There's no valid reason for needing to purchase Kawasaki branded coolant.
Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, etc. do not fabricate coolant, oil, etc. They just stick their name on these items.

Note: As long as the coolant is made for aluminum radiators, you're all set.

FYI: I and numerous other Valkyrie and Goldwing owners have been using Prestone Dex-Cool coolant (Wallmart) on our bikes for the last 17 years. I will continue using it with my Versys.
Doug Just Doug likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
I use Kawasaki brand coolant, that way you a) know the stuff works, and b) no warranty issues.

You can get the stuff on fleaBay and other outlets, sorta reasonably priced, I chuck out the old and insert new every 2 years, ditto with all other fluids: brake, blinker, and whatever the hell else I can reach.

https://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-Engi.../dp/B00QIX495A
Thanks for the tips. I've used a similar schedule with prior bikes. So this would be OK, too, then?

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Go for it Doug! There's no valid reason for needing to purchase Kawasaki branded coolant.
Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, etc. do not fabricate coolant, oil, etc. They just stick their name on these items.

Note: As long as the coolant is made for aluminum radiators, you're all set.

FYI: I and numerous other Valkyrie and Goldwing owners have been using Prestone Dex-Cool coolant (Wallmart) on our bikes for the last 17 years. I will continue using it with my Versys.
Thanks!
quexpress likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I've used a similar schedule with prior bikes. So this would be OK, too, then?
You got it!
Doug Just Doug likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:

I'd definitely use that stuff, I switched over to it and got 3x blinks/intersection better performance, and my headlights were so bright that oncoming drivers flashed me (headlights, not, um, anatomy)
quexpress and Doug Just Doug like this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Nothing wrong with that stuff. As mentioned, as long as it's safe for aluminum, you're good. I switched to Engine Ice. It's a bit more environmentally friendly, since it has propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol.
quexpress and Doug Just Doug like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 09:51 AM

I used the valvoline/zerex red coolant upon recommendation from some on here. It's the asian car formula that's silicate free. So far it's been just fine in mine. However mine also has long been out of warranty and if yours still is under warranty, I'm not sure if the dealership would have a fit and deny a claim if they saw red coolant in it.
quexpress likes this.

2009 Blue Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode