• 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By mikej
  • 1 Post By Bale2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Stock Tires

Hi guys. The dealer called and I'll be taking possession of my 2017 LT next week. I've downloaded the manual for the 2015 and 2016 but wanted to quickly ask two questions so that I can pre-buy some things.

1) How good are the stock tires and how many miles can I plan to get out of them before replacement? When the time comes, what should I replace them with? I'm not an aggressive rider. All riding will be street only. Three trips to work and back a week (20 mile round trip) and an easy road trip on Saturdays (maybe up to 200 miles, no more).

2) What is the best possible oil I should be buying? I have NAPA and other retailers near me but perhaps there's something better out there than can only be ordered online?

That's it for now. Since it's coming toward fall and I'm in Minnesota I'll probably only have the rest of August through mid October before I put it away for the winter.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ok when it comes to tires and oil you will get lots of different opinions. Do your own research for confirmation of what is best for you.

1). Depending on your riding style and road conditions expect 3,500 - 6,000 miles out of the stock rear tire. Mine was thread bear (literally) at 5,200 miles. For new street tires there are lots of options, I purchased Dunlop Road Smart 3's, I was set to buy Michelin but a $60 rebate from Dunlop and lower starting price swayed me. According to Dunlop they provide higher milage and better handling than Michelin. I think any quality tire will be fine based on your riding requirements.

2) For oil I like synthetic, in my opinion any quality oil with the proper rating is fine I use Rotella T6 and change every 4 K miles. I like the K&N 303 filter as it has a nut on top making it super easy to change. Walmart has the on sale for under $6.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 10:07 AM

1) rear probably 5k miles front probably ~10k.

2) everyone has opinions, but any good synthetic meeting JASO MA/MA2 requirements should work just fine.

If you buy Rotella T6 (4 qt) you pay about $5.50 per quart. Car full syntheic oil? $5.50 per quart (5 qts).

If it meets req's it'll work just great.

Also - its 2017 not 1962, replace the oil when Kawasaki recommends.
andyversystheworld likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quite a few of us use Mobil1 15w-50 (automobile) synthetic oil, and swear by it! I have OVER 100,000 miles among my three V 650s using it. US Walmarts usually sell a 5 qt container for about $25.
Urbanengineer likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bale2011 View Post
Hi guys. The dealer called and I'll be taking possession of my 2017 LT next week. I've downloaded the manual for the 2015 and 2016 but wanted to quickly ask two questions so that I can pre-buy some things.

1) How good are the stock tires and how many miles can I plan to get out of them before replacement? When the time comes, what should I replace them with? I'm not an aggressive rider. All riding will be street only. Three trips to work and back a week (20 mile round trip) and an easy road trip on Saturdays (maybe up to 200 miles, no more).
Good enough you'll get about 6K miles or more depending on how you ride. For the type of riding you do you want tires from the sport tour category. The premium tire models in this category will last longer and have more secure grip and better wet grip. See reviews and comparisons online.

Recommend:
Metzler Roadtec 01
Michelin Road Pilot 4

Last edited by twowheels; 08-15-2017 at 04:27 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 06:49 PM

Garage
Tires: I'm at about 5800 miles on my stock tires and I am just about to the wear bars on the rear. I'll be ordering the Michelin PR4s in the next week or so. Most of my riding is commuting on flat straight roads. I've not had any problems with the stocks, however I don't feel very confident with them in the rain. And just in the last week, I've been caught in the rain three times.

Oil: I use Rotella T6 and am very happy with it. It shifts much quieter and smoother than with the Mobile 1 4T I used the last change. I'm not going to say it's better than what others use, it just works for me. For the filter, I'm using a Mobile 1 M1-108, I believe it is.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 10:50 PM

Garage
I got 10k on rear. Switched to Road pilot 4. Have ridden them in torrential downpour with no issues. oil 10-40 full synthetic. The change is easy on this bike. after ride home from work. put it on the stand and I'm done in 15 min.
andyversystheworld likes this.

'08 Red V
Mods - Lets just say I probably "NEED" more
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 08:20 AM

I'm at 9200 miles on my rear tire looks like I have at least another 1500+ to wear bar and yes stock tires put 3000+ miles alone interstate speeds mid june. As for oil Amsoil Metric 10w-40 15,000 mile oil change interval with the Amsoil filter. I will be replacing tires with Michelin Pr4 when I do.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 08:31 AM

Garage
Great advice from others. I have a about 5k on my rear tire (front too!), and still rollin' good. I will replace with the Road Pilate 4's. I use Castrol 4t motorcycle oil and Wix filters. I changed it myself from new, the first 1,000 miles then at the next 1,000 miles, now every 5K miles. Ride safe!

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks everyone. Lots of excellent advice. I've been doing quite a bit of reading since and I've narrowed the oil down to Rotella T6 or Amsoil. I'm leaning toward Amsoil. The founder (Al Amatuzio) is from my hometown so there's a little bit of brand loyalty there. That wouldn't sway me toward any product but their synthetic ranks among the best. It's more expensive, twice the cost of T6 if not more, but since the V takes less than 3 quarts it's doable and around here there are local promotions.

The tires...now that I know to expect about 5k I'll wait and do some more research.

Really love reading the posts here on the forum. A great community. Thanks again.
Urbanengineer likes this.

Last edited by Bale2011; 08-16-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode