Centerstand - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By aboyandhisversys
  • 1 Post By BigKev

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Centerstand

Just installed a Hepco-Becker centerstand on my '16 650. I heard from another Versys rider that the centerstand would interfere with the side stand. This is not the case with the H-B model. And it was $2 cheaper than SW Motech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
It is the right choice.

The Becker unit works perfectly, costs the same and is high quality. Why would you install the other, given the choice?
A centrestand was the best upgrade of them all. By far.
Cheers!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 09:34 PM

well, because... and therein

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
The Becker unit works perfectly, costs the same and is high quality. Why would you install the other, given the choice?
A centrestand was the best upgrade of them all. By far.
Cheers!
operant phrase: "given the choice."

HB was backordered, repeated calls gave me answers ranging from "we dunno when the BOs will be filled," to "we dunno." to "they were supposed to be here last week."

In the meantime a fleaBay seller had an SW Motech centerstand (new) for much much less. he goofed and sent the crashbars too, I emailed him re:his mistake and he sold me the crashbars for a pittance.

for as little as I paid for SW stuff, I can remember how to put the kickstand down first and put it up last.

(however, ply me with cheap beer and I'll tell you a story about the centerstand, the sidestand, and a crash landing.)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 10:23 AM

Garage
Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
operant phrase: "given the choice."

HB was backordered, repeated calls gave me answers ranging from "we dunno when the BOs will be filled," to "we dunno." to "they were supposed to be here last week."

In the meantime a fleaBay seller had an SW Motech centerstand (new) for much much less. he goofed and sent the crashbars too, I emailed him re:his mistake and he sold me the crashbars for a pittance.

for as little as I paid for SW stuff, I can remember how to put the kickstand down first and put it up last.

(however, ply me with cheap beer and I'll tell you a story about the centerstand, the sidestand, and a crash landing.)
Availability for the Becker unit is spotty at best. A stand is better than none, lM not so HO. Surprised that SW hasn't done a running change on theirs to correct that clearance issue.

Your memory is far more trustworthy than mine. I need stupid proof. Even then I manage to make a mess of things!

Safe riding! And parking
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
Availability for the Becker unit is spotty at best. A stand is better than none, lM not so HO. Surprised that SW hasn't done a running change on theirs to correct that clearance issue.

Safe riding! And parking
I think they just quit making it - it suddenly showed up on closeout and not a word since on SW or Twisted Throttle's web site. go figure.. maybe the product liability lawyers had a word with the production group and... well, you get the rest of the story...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 03:16 PM

Garage
Agreed, no point in buying the SW-Motech stand knowing the side stand issue. The H&B stand is readily available at Moto Machines, just get that wallet ready...

http://www.motomachines.com/Hepco-Be...5-_p_5138.html
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
Agreed, no point in buying the SW-Motech stand knowing the side stand issue. The H&B stand is readily available at Moto Machines, just get that wallet ready...

Hepco & Becker Center Stand for Kawasaki Versys 650 '15-
you forgot to add "get that wallet ready and bend over..."
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

I got mine from moto machines for less than the SW Motech one. You're always gonna get hosed buyin model-specific stuff.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 10:33 AM

I actually have both stands on hand. I bought the SW-M first based on webBikeWorld's review, but before I installed it, I then learned of the side stand interference issue (again from wBW), so I bought the HB. I started installing the HB, but stopped when I saw how close the drive chain was to the left side bracket, which apparently either is or isn't a big issue depending upon who you ask. So now I'm thinking maybe I'd rather live with the SW-M's issue then worry about the HB's potential chain issue -- I do some week-long tours and plan on trying some LD stuff, so I don't want to have to worry about adjusting the chain more often than is usual. As soon as I make a decision and install one or the other, I'll probably put the remaining stand up for sale here. Kawasaki could've done us all a big favor here.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
I actually have both stands on hand. I bought the SW-M first based on webBikeWorld's review, but before I installed it, I then learned of the side stand interference issue (again from wBW), so I bought the HB. I started installing the HB, but stopped when I saw how close the drive chain was to the left side bracket, which apparently either is or isn't a big issue depending upon who you ask. So now I'm thinking maybe I'd rather live with the SW-M's issue then worry about the HB's potential chain issue -- I do some week-long tours and plan on trying some LD stuff, so I don't want to have to worry about adjusting the chain more often than is usual. As soon as I make a decision and install one or the other, I'll probably put the remaining stand up for sale here. Kawasaki could've done us all a big favor here.

FWIW the SW doesn't get close to the chain at all. I'll take a pic if I can remember to get down that low to do so.
Doug Just Doug likes this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 08:11 PM

Garage
Does the chain contact the Becker unit?

I have it installed. 3000km and no contact spots. The chain is tensioned properly, but not frequently. It does contact when up on stand and spun backwards during chain maintenance or cleaning the bike. Never while running.
Others have a different experience?
I personally wouldn't hesitate to install the Becker unit.
YMMV of course. No guarantee is expressed or implied. Batteries not included.
Doug Just Doug likes this.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
FWIW the SW doesn't get close to the chain at all. I'll take a pic if I can remember to get down that low to do so.
That would be great. I've never read of a chain issue with the SW-M, except for one report which was eventually fairly thoroughly debunked by others and attributed to user error.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 12:41 PM

Garage
I have HB center stand installed on my 15 V 650 LT. But I just realized that inner spring of that dual spring is broken. Any idea where i can get replacement?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxversys View Post
I have HB center stand installed on my 15 V 650 LT. But I just realized that inner spring of that dual spring is broken. Any idea where i can get replacement?
I had the same thing happen to my center stand spring about a week after I installed it. I just called the place I bought the stand from and they mailed out a new spring at no charge about a week later.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 03:18 PM

Garage
Ya got replacement spring. I'm wondering if we need to lubricate it so that it doesnt break.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode