5Likes
  • 2 Post By Jack of Heats JoH
  • 1 Post By Urbanengineer
  • 2 Post By twowheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Grease Ninja +1 customer service

Most of you know about the grease ninja. Great little tool for neatly applying chain lube. Grease Ninja Chain Lube Assistant Review

I had cut the lube tube a little too short and decided to order a tube kit from Grease Ninja $3 including shipping. After several weeks it had not arrived. I called Grease Ninja and left a message. A gentleman, Tom called me back promptly and sent out another tube kit at No Charge with a tracking number this time. Unbelievably later that day the original one I order showed up. I called Tom back immediately to let him know it had arrived (perhaps 2 hours after I had talked to him the first time) and he informed me the new kit was already in the mail to me.

I have been very happy with my grease ninja as it saves chain lube and keeps lube from getting all over the place. The great customer service with no questions asked was really appreciated.
quexpress and Squishman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 12:30 PM

I hate to be a fly in the chain lube, but my experience with the product has been frustrating. Probably my being left handed and red headed (mom always said left headed and red handed) has some effect, but the feeder tube will not stay in place and the only place I seem to have room to access the chain properly is at the rear sprocket. I have lube on the tire, rim, and chain guard but little on the chain. It is a good idea and would no doubt be good in some hands.....maybe not left ones.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I have a grease ninja too. On the upside it leaves no mess from over spray on bike or rear tire and perfectly distributes lube on both inside and outside of chain. On the downside the it keeps pulling out of can when holding device with one hand and which makes it frustrating to use. You require two hands to hold the device and can of chain lube and the straw in the can connecting it to the grease ninja. This leaves no hands to spin the rear wheel.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I have a grease ninja too. On the upside it leaves no mess from over spray on bike or rear tire and perfectly distributes lube on both inside and outside of chain. On the downside the it keeps pulling out of can when holding device with one hand and which makes it frustrating to use. You require two hands to hold the device and can of chain lube and the straw in the can connecting it to the grease ninja. This leaves no hands to spin the rear wheel.
I use my feet to spin it.
twowheels likes this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I had the same problem and switched the nozzle from another spay can and so far seems to stay in place. Now using WD 40 nozzle on my chain lube spray can, I will post an update after I use it a few more times and update on if it is staying in place.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
personally i just use one of these... i dont find it hard to run a line of oil down each side of the plates and use my deadly clip master link as a marker to make sure its gone all the way round .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 648750.jpg (9.4 KB, 15 views)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
ACUMEN CL10 Intelligent Chain Oiler (Scottoiler equv.) | eBay.

acumen CL10, a bit expensive but I prefer this on long rides as its set and go. once the chain is wet you simply set 0 and no oil drips.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
personally i just use one of these... i dont find it hard to run a line of oil down each side of the plates and use my deadly clip master link as a marker to make sure its gone all the way round .
I had a clip professionally installed and it still managed to come off way out of civilization. I had to gingerly ride it 200 miles into a city and stop by a cycle gear to purchase a replacement clip. Don't run those.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
I used an oil can and a quality heavy weight chain oil when I first got my versys. To be honest it left a fling off mess (not a lot for me to consider it a mess after having belt drive) and tended to attract dirt.

I prefer the aerosol chain lubricants that have a carrier and dry fairly quickly to a non tacking coating of lubricant. Less fling off and chain does not require cleaning as frequently.

Not getting into which is best. Key point is to clean and lubricate the chain frequently with a quality cleaner and lubricant that is not harmful to the chain seals etc.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
I had a clip professionally installed and it still managed to come off way out of civilization. I had to gingerly ride it 200 miles into a city and stop by a cycle gear to purchase a replacement clip. Don't run those.
I run one on my '08 in AZ, but when I installed it I used my chain-tool to "pein" the ends of the two pins so it won't come off.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 08:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
just becouse someone gets paid to do something for a living doesnt mean they do it right... ive been using clip master links on all my bikes 700cc or less for over 20 years and NEVER have had one fail..... sorry you had some bad luck

yes im a guy.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 11:21 PM

Rivet style links never come off and are no bother to take off either. I can't see how this is argumentative. Do you see any GP bikes with clips? Lol.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 01:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Rivet style links never come off and are no bother to take off either. I can't see how this is argumentative. Do you see any GP bikes with clips? Lol.
they are far more bother to take off. and can also be easly over set and cause chain and sprocket life to be drastically shorted .... and yes i have, but if thats your argument you dont see lights or DOT approved tires ,or proper exhaust on GP bikes ether do you?

im not telling you you have to use a clip link, but i think its stupid of you to tell others not to and that is some HUGE danger.... if you have the brain power to use one right they will work just fine every time.... the only reason they ever fail is due to improper installation or improper chain care. i dont have an issue in ether one of those departments and have never had an issue with a clip master link.

yes im a guy.

Last edited by silviefox; 08-16-2017 at 01:22 AM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 11:44 PM

Fair point, but I had my bad experience with one so it'll never be on my bikes ever again .

GP bike arguments is silly. I'm talking strictly mechanical.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 08:53 PM

Garage
Clip links come off. I've read many first hand accounts on forums like this one. With a relatively cheap rivit tool rivited chains are easy to install and remove. It is not possible to overset a rivit chain unless you do not follow install instructions.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
quexpress and Urbanengineer like this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 11:05 PM

Garage
just passed 40k miles today on this bike alone and clips still holding fine

yes im a guy.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 05:25 PM

Garage
With motul chain lube i do not have issues with straws pulling out of device or can
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 07:55 PM

So far i really like the grease ninja. Have used it 5 or so times now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
I hate to be a fly in the chain lube, but my experience with the product has been frustrating. Probably my being left handed and red headed (mom always said left headed and red handed) has some effect, but the feeder tube will not stay in place and the only place I seem to have room to access the chain properly is at the rear sprocket. I have lube on the tire, rim, and chain guard but little on the chain. It is a good idea and would no doubt be good in some hands.....maybe not left ones.
The white plastic block will slide in and out on the brass rod...
Set it to the length so it holds the straw.
Ive moved mine in and out depending on what lube can I was using.

Using my left hand thumb to hold the nozzle down, the other four fingers hold the can o lube. I spin the tire with my right hand while it is up on the paddock stand.

As for location, under the swing arm on my 2011 650, right about where the weld is located seems to be a good spot for me.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
self ejecting tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
I had the same problem and switched the nozzle from another spay can and so far seems to stay in place. Now using WD 40 nozzle on my chain lube spray can, I will post an update after I use it a few more times and update on if it is staying in place.
I used a tiny zip tie to attach a wire twist tie to the tube the wrapped the wire tie around the can nozzle. It looks like a Rube Goldberg solution but it works.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
With motul chain lube i do not have issues with straws pulling out of device or can
Two wheels can you send a pic of your Grease ninja mounted on the can? I would like to see what the spray nozzle looks like.

I am currently using the KLR chain lube, great product goes on clear, dries quickly does not collect a lot of dirt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode