Bent Rim Lip - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Bent Rim Lip

I am relatively new to the motorcycling world, so I don't have the experience to make this call alone. That is why I am asking you lot!

I have a 2013 650 that I have put close to 4000 miles on in the last year. I managed to hit a fairly large pothole yesterday on my way home ((the kind that would flip a bike if you put the front wheel in it)(the joys of living in Pittsburgh I guess)) but luckily, that isn't the problem.
Nothing felt bad for the rest of the ride home, about 10 more miles, but it was a hell of a hit and I didn't want to take any chances either. When I got home, I found what you see in the attached picture.

Obviously the rim lip is bent, but the tire holds air and there doesn't seem to be any sort of tire deformation. Like I said, everything felt fine, but that doesn't mean something I can't see didn't happen. The question I have is should I look into getting the lip straightened, replacing the tire(this would be the third tire Pittsburgh has destroyed on me,)/replacing the wheel, putting extra air in to make sure it holds/soap spraying everything, or just keeping an eye on it?

The loss of a front tire while moving is generally not ideal, but I have also seen guys on here that have had much worse dents and still continued to ride.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Life advice?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BentRim.jpg (54.6 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by SpoilyFarts; 08-10-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoilyFarts View Post
I am relatively new to the motorcycling world, so I don't have the experience to make this call alone. That is why I am asking you lot!

I have a 2013 650 that I have put close to 4000 miles on in the last year. I managed to hit a fairly large pothole yesterday on my way home ((the kind that would flip a bike if you put the front wheel in it)(the joys of living in Pittsburgh I guess)) but luckily, that isn't the problem.
Nothing felt bad for the rest of the ride home, about 10 more miles, but it was a hell of a hit and I didn't want to take any chances either. When I got home, I found what you see in the attached picture.

Obviously the rim lip is bent, but the tire holds air and there doesn't seem to be any sort of tire deformation. Like I said, everything felt fine, but that doesn't mean something I can't see didn't happen. The question I have is should I look into getting the lip straightened, replacing the tire(this would be the third tire Pittsburgh has destroyed on me,)/replacing the wheel, putting extra air in to make sure it holds/soap spraying everything, or just keeping an eye on it?

The loss of a front tire while moving is generally not ideal, but I have also seen guys on here that have had much worse dents and still continued to ride.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Life advice?
I bought a bike with a similarly damaged rim. You can purchase a used rim off of EBay or from another source. Rim's from all other Kawasaki 650 models are an exact match. For instance wheels from a Ninja 650 or ERN6 are identical to Versys 650 wheels.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
if you have the money to do so get yourself a new(to you) rim, or beat the **** out of it with a hammer and see what happens (j/k)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

Last edited by silviefox; 08-11-2017 at 06:59 PM.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 11:27 AM

If its not losing air you should be ok,
Im more of the old school. Take off the tire and hammer the bend out of it.
Put the tire back on and if you have no air leaks your good.

Good Luck
quexpress likes this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If it holds air life is O.K., but I'd be curious if there's a bunch of runout now that will haunt down the line.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Do motorcycle wheels have to be balanced like a car wheel? If I take the tire off and remount it myself.

But then again, if I'm not losing any air, are there still chances of the bead slipping or a blowout? Maybe I just check the tires more often than I do now.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry about your luck! I don't have any input, I just wanted to say hello to a fellow Pittsburgher. I grew up in Beaver and sometimes really miss Western PA. Then I hear about a pothole like this and I can almost hear the sound of PennDOT putting up the cones for miles in every direction
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 01:12 PM

I'd replace because I'm paranoid that the universe is out to get me.

a new one from a dealer or online {shiver} is second place, and a used one from a salvage yard (what a sanitary term for wrecking yard that is) would be third place.

but that's just me, YMMV.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemacleod View Post
Sorry about your luck! I don't have any input, I just wanted to say hello to a fellow Pittsburgher. I grew up in Beaver and sometimes really miss Western PA. Then I hear about a pothole like this and I can almost hear the sound of PennDOT putting up the cones for miles in every direction
I just moved here a little over a year ago from the right side of PA and I'm loving it so far. Except that I've lost 2 tires on my car and now a possible motorcycle rim to potholes all in the past 3 months. I don't think PennDOT actually knows how to fix holes here, cause I was on a road yesterday that literally consisted of all patches. And I know of at least 4 holes this size on my daily commute. I guess that's what I get for going a different way to date night. O well.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I just moved here a little over a year ago from the right side of PA and I'm loving it so far. Except that I've lost 2 tires on my car and now a possible motorcycle rim to potholes all in the past 3 months. I don't think PennDOT actually knows how to fix holes here, cause I was on a road yesterday that literally consisted of all patches. And I know of at least 4 holes this size on my daily commute. I guess that's what I get for going a different way to date night. O well.
I got the lady at the tool booth in Penna mad at me. I asked her if she was really going to charge me for driving on roads this bad. She did not think it was funny.

Last edited by turn8a; 08-10-2017 at 05:47 PM.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 05:15 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
idk about there but here in Oregon the state is legally responsible for repairs/replacement of a rim damaged by a pothole

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Do motorcycle wheels have to be balanced like a car wheel? If I take the tire off and remount it myself.
Yes they need to be balanced.

Quote:
But then again, if I'm not losing any air, are there still chances of the bead slipping or a blowout?
I doubt that VERY much

Quote:
Maybe I just check the tires more often than I do now.
That's what I would do.

Note: During a ride in April, as I was boarding onto a ferry, there was a 6-inch or more drop. The bike hit the deck with a loud bang.
I was puzzled but did not think anything of it.

After arriving home, I realized that my tire was lower than usual and that the rim was dented. Closer examination permitted me to see that the tire had been punctured by a small nail. It was VERY windy that day. We needed to concentrate on fighting the strong side winds. I therefore did not notice any change in tire pressure, etc.

The tire was changed. A heavy hammer along with with a piece of hardwood (short piece of hockey stick handle) permitted me to reduce the dent. The dent is still noticeable but, at 40 lbs pressure, the tire never leaked. I am therefore not worried and will continue on using this rim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dent_rear_wheel.jpg (46.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg puncture.jpg (43.4 KB, 25 views)

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Was it inflated to 32 psi cold?

Aluminum Wheel Repair | Straightening | Pittsburgh, PA

The Wheelright - Services Provided

Last edited by invader; 08-10-2017 at 11:54 PM.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I will start with- what is your life worth- price of a new or second hand rim-I don't agree with most of the advice given-that is a nasty bend- ride it like that hit a big bump or hole rapid air lost and CRASH-and don't even think of hitting it with wood, hammer or anything that will shock the aluminum might form a crack that you can't see till it's to late-since you live in a big city take it to a auto rim repair shop and see if they can fix it-if so they will straighten it with a press going slow working the aluminum no heat-if they say no chunk it don't take a chance-and after you get back on the rode front tire psi 36-38 being you have so many holes in your area-I think if you look at the rim where it is bent you may not see any marks where it hit the hole-that is because it didn't- the rapid increase of pressure hitting the bottom of the hole caused the tire to flex bending the rim-36-38 psi will slow this down but may not stop it--like I said what's your life worth-do you own a $10 helmet

Deep in Cajun Country
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
I got the lady at the tool booth in Penna mad at me. I asked her if she was really going to charge me for driving on roads this bad. She did not think it was funny.
Tool money goes to the TurnPike, not actually to PA, that's why it so much nicer than everything else here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
idk about there but here in Oregon the state is legally responsible for repairs/replacement of a rim damaged by a pothole
My sister has said the same thing about Colorado, so I think I will look into this. Especially considering this isn't the first issue I've had with the roads here.

@quexpress, thanks for answering my questions, I figured a bike wheel should be treated like a car wheel, but I didn't want to assume anything. I've learned 2 things from 2 and a Half men and that was one of them. The other is if you can't pee in khakis without leaving spots, you probably shouldn't wear khakis. But that isn't exactly relevant life advice to this situation.

@invader, what ever the tire says to inflate to is what it was inflated to. Last time I checked. 3 months ago.... I see I have bad habits forming. Thank you for the Pittsburgh shop recommendations, a friend told me about another shop, but that was in Bath, PA, not exactly close to me.

@motorboy, are you recommending to air down or air up? My helmet is a few dollars over $10, I like my brain right where it is.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Tool money goes to the TurnPike, not actually to PA, that's why it so much nicer than everything else here.

My sister has said the same thing about Colorado, so I think I will look into this. Especially considering this isn't the first issue I've had with the roads here.

@quexpress, thanks for answering my questions, I figured a bike wheel should be treated like a car wheel, but I didn't want to assume anything. I've learned 2 things from 2 and a Half men and that was one of them. The other is if you can't pee in khakis without leaving spots, you probably shouldn't wear khakis. But that isn't exactly relevant life advice to this situation.

@invader, what ever the tire says to inflate to is what it was inflated to. Last time I checked. 3 months ago.... I see I have bad habits forming. Thank you for the Pittsburgh shop recommendations, a friend told me about another shop, but that was in Bath, PA, not exactly close to me.

@motorboy, are you recommending to air down or air up? My helmet is a few dollars over $10, I like my brain right where it is.
I was still not impressed with the toll roads in Penna. lol
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:

But then again, if I'm not losing any air, are there still chances of the bead slipping or a blowout? Maybe I just check the tires more often than I do now.
Yes tires must be balanced. I use balancing beads, no special tools required, the tires stays balanced throughout its life. Installing them is pretty simple with compressed air, videos on youtube.

JoH
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 09:34 AM

Garage
Lots of advice here already, but I'll throw in my 2 cents, because I had much the same damage.

I hit a large flat rock laying in the road. The result was a bent rim, maybe about 10% worse than yours. Tire still held air. Having the rim repaired at a shop proved to be VERY hard to find in my area. It came down to 3 options:

1) DIY with a hammer against a piece of hardwood. The end of the wood hitting the rim should have a bit of curve for best results.
2) Brand new replacement rim (which I think back in 2011 was about $600 from the dealer)
3) ebay search for a bargain (which I found - thanks again Weljo!) As stated above, same rim in use on a bunch of Kawi models, so they are out there if you search. Joe noted one for me on ebay that turned into a real bargain because it was in Canada so I didn't get murdered on shipping. It was OEM factory new in the box with bearings and I think it cost me about $200(?)

For me, the choice to replace was easy. When my inner hooligan escapes on the bike from time to time, that little f***er will thrash it about and put some very real stress on the tires. There is only one front wheel and it has an important job. My 2 cents. Best of luck.

Always trust your cape.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
if you have the money to do so get yourself a new(to you) rim, or beat the **** pout of it with a hammer and see what happens (j/k)
I suggest that you place a piece of wood (hard-wood) between the hammer and rim.
silviefox and quexpress like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
these are cast wheels..they can not be fixed SAFELY after being bent...whacking with a hammer and board will cause micro cracks..micro cracks can grow and end up shattering your wheel..on lets say another pot hole...it's your bike and life your dealing with..be smart and replace the wheel...
try calling any local wheel shop that fixes wheels and talk to them..it's what they'll tell you...
BLACK DOG likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode