• 3 Post By quexpress
  • 2 Post By motorboy
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Bearing change questions

When I bought my bike used I had to also buy a used rear wheel off of EBay to replace the damaged rim it came with. I don't know the mileage on the rear bearings for this reason but there is a detectable notch when rotating the bearing by hand but no lateral play in wheel. As a precaution thought I would change the bearings in it so I have a few questions for those who might have already done this procedure.

I have already watched a few YouTube videos on this including the excellent one done by MC Garage so have a basic idea on the process now

1) Do I need to buy a long drift to push them out or can I just use a hammer and long flat head screw driver?

2) The All Balls kit shows it comes with three bearings for the rear wheel, where does the 3rd bearing go?

3) Does anyone know the generic bearing numbers as I have a bearing wholesaler nearby?

4) What size of sockets work best to push the new bearings in?

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-ri...heel-bearings/
https://fortnine.ca/en/all-balls-whe...al-kit-25-1386

Last edited by twowheels; 07-31-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
1) Do I need to buy a long drift to push them out or can I just use a hammer and long flat head screw driver?
You could but it would be much easier with a drift punch. You could also use a ratchet extension. See attached pic.

Quote:
2) The All Balls kit shows it comes with three bearings for the rear wheel, where does the 3rd bearing go?
2 of them are for the rear wheel. The other is for the sprocket holder. See attached pic.

Quote:
3) Does anyone know the generic bearing numbers as I have a bearing wholesaler nearby?
You need 2 sealed bearings 6204 UU. The size is Size: 20 x 47 x 14 mm. Don't worry about the letters after the 6204. These indicate "sealed on both sides". Your bearing vendor will set you up.

Quote:
4) What size of sockets work best to push the new bearings in?
I can check later if you wish but I prefer to use the old bearing which I have previously removed. I have tapped some in with sockets or old bearings but after a few close calls (bearing inserted crooked), I prefer to use a threaded rod with large washer to pull the bearing into the wheel. The rod is inserted through the wheel on one side. Then on the other end of the threaded rod: the new bearing, old bearing, flat washers and nut to squeeze everything in place.

Note: Don't forget to replace the center spacer before installing the second bearing. It's been done more than once by more than one rider.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sealed_bearings.jpg (50.4 KB, 33 views)

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Last edited by quexpress; 07-31-2017 at 06:03 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Yes due worry about the letters at the end- if you get 2RS that means they are rubber sealed on both ends and will last a lot longer- grease can't come out-a hammer and large screw driver will work just fine being your not going to reuse them--now for installing them take them out the box and put them in the freezer for about 1-2 hours just before you take them out heat the wheel hub with a hair dryer hot to touch the bearing should just slip right in with only a little push if not take the old bearing put it on top and tap -and that's it
twowheels and Rotten Ronnie like this.

Deep in Cajun Country

Last edited by motorboy; 07-31-2017 at 11:53 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Rotten Ronnie
I've got 70k on my bearings and I'm eager to hear your after action report on your bike.

Cheers, and thanks for the great info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Kawasaki Versys 650, 2001 Honda XR400R (street plated)
Ride Reports and other drivel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Another How To Thread

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...-pictures.html
Been already said , but several things to know ZZ,UU, 2RS, all seals are different and letter designates this by the manufacturer. You may also see C3 , which stands for the clearance tolerance

http://www.microbluebearings.com/pag...FIX-CODES.html This is a excellent source, explaining both seal and clearance.
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 08-01-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode