3Likes
  • 2 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By Gigitt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Flat tire solutions

Got a nail in my tire the other night. Center of tread. Fortunately discovered the flat tire at home so was not stranded.

I had two tire plugging kits. The first kit was the traditional kind with an awl to enlarge and clean the hole. It also including a second tool to push the plug through but required a 1/4 inch hole and the hole, the awl made was only 1/8inch so it would not go in. URL="https://www.thoughtco.com/product-testing-the-dynaplug-tire-tool-281654"]The second kit used a barbed plug[/URL], it too would not go through the hole. The problem is a motorcycle tire is too flexible and would bend against the rim rather than let the device push through. I even tried a hammer on insertion tools. Neither kit worked. I suspect these kinds of plugging kits might work better with a more rigid car tire.

At this point I decided to try Slime. It immediately plugs the hole and the tire held air without leaking. The bottle says to drive 0.2 mile at slow speed and readjust air pressure. The problem I found is the tire looses all the air after riding a short distance. As a side effect I also found the electric inflation plump completely drained my motorcycle battery after inflations. The solution for Slime seems to be to leave the bike parked for a few hours after inflating. Something the bottle says you do not have to do. At this point the tire seems to be holding air without leaking after a 5km test ride. I have no idea how Slime works but the Slime left in the bottle is not hardening and it still feels like it is in a liquid state inside the tire as I do not have the expected balance issue.

Can I rely on this as a permanent fix now? My guess is not. Based on this experience I would recommend a small bottle of Slime before a tire plug kit for anyone looking to build a repair kit. The bottle comes with a valve stem remover and hose to squeeze the product into the tire. It's very easy to use and there is no need to jack the bike. Only issue is keep the bike running while running the inflation pump.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-29-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Absolutely NOT a permanent fix! Slime is just to get you to the service station to get the tire repaired or replaced.

I would have pulled the tire and put a patch on the inside.

Reaming the tire and making a larger hole is not good for the integrity of the tire either.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I wouldn't bet my life on it.
Pull the tire off clean & patch from the inside (if it's anywhere near the end of it's life I'd toss it).
I've used the Stop & Go kit with good success, but do a major repair when I get home.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for input. Tire is near the end of it's life. Just ordered a new tire. Metzler Roadtec 01's are sold out in Canada until October, at least in the 160/60-17 size.
quexpress and james75 like this.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-29-2017 at 06:36 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I think a few said it best- Slime is not a permanent fix- over the years I have used every kit you can name and still 4 or 5 different ones on hand-but of all of them the old string push through kind like the one you first used works the best over the long term-trick is to have some air in the tire when you push it in-I have a Dyna plug kit I also carry for very small holes but you need the one with the big black plastic handle to work- and they also do fail after 1,000 miles or so-but the string type have never let me down over many thousands of miles on a plugged tire and if you ever take the tire down and look inside you will see why it can't pop out makes kind of a knot on the inside-if you want just ask and I can go into detail about Ride on-TUV patch plug inside patch-stop and go and more..

Deep in Cajun Country
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have used the Nealey Tire repairs stuff will great success - i thought to give it a try and got it shipped to Australia.
Nealey Tire Repair Kit

I got a TEK screw in my front tyre, I did not have to ream the hole and it sealed the tyre instantly. I had balancing beads in the tyre and they did not stick to the repair. Tyre lasted another few thou km.
When i took the tyre off the inner knot was plugging it really well.
onewizard likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Having just had a nail/wire induced puncture on my bike, I found the Dynaplug kit online and it was my most trusted option(based on design) for a permanent plug type repair. The brass "bullet" won't let the plug wiggle back out and it's a 30 second fix. Plug tool is nice and compact too. Plugged mine and did a 450 mile trip the next day, zero issue and zero psi loss.

If I had to dismount to patch, I'd rather just remount another tire myself.

Long winded to the original thought though, I would not rely on the slime as permanent... -and- let the shop know it's in there if you aren't doing it yourself! Stuff make a mess of an expensive tire machine!

Brad, Suwanee Ga.
'09 V650, several others too!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Local Bike Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Thanks for input. Tire is near the end of it's life. Just ordered a new tire. Metzler Roadtec 01's are sold out in Canada until October, at least in the 160/60-17 size.
Tires - MOTORCYCLE | Zdeno Cycle , they had a stock of front and rear last year, might be worth a call depending on where you are in Ontario,I had the same situation last year, October for a new tire in August I think, had both Pilot 4 and Metzler in stock, both front and rear, the Versys rear is a bit of a odd ball , as they questioned the size I was after( over a $1/4 million in tires in stock)

Last edited by onewizard; 07-30-2017 at 12:50 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'd never put Slime in a tire I might ever want to repair properly, it is too hard to remove and get a patch to stick. Also, it is likely to loosen any previous patches. As far as I'm concerned, a plug is an emergency repair to get you to where your can repair it with a patch on the inside. I carry a plug kit and a bicycle tire combination inflator, you can use the pump part to partially inflate the tire, and then pop three or four CO2 cartridges to finish inflating it enough to get home.
Avoid those Fix-A-Flat kits like the plague, unless you plan to buy a new tire.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
to me slime is for off road and trailer tires, i dont use it in street tires if i can plug it . and ive rode with multiple plugs in my tires and never had an issue, but i also ride with clip style master links and never had an issue with them and some say im mad for that

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode