12/2016 -Stator Failure Posts/ Posts related to those converted to Series regulator - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By widishi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
12/2016 -Stator Failure Posts/ Posts related to those converted to Series regulator

This thread is for those unable to post in the How To Forum due to insufficient post count by the member. I can move or copy your post. Once you have completed the post, the following choices:

1= copy post to How To thread FYI the reason to copy is to allow other members with less than 20 posts to be able to communicate about your post, usually I copy pertinent info into the How To thread, in case the poster leaves the forum
2=move post to How To thread FYI the reason for moving is this is a restricted thread, no one can access this unless they are a member signed in, and the prime reason the manuals are in that forum
3= leave post in Technical and don't copy FYI let me say a select few prefer this and usually end up deleting their post months later, so in reality, unless someone quotes the poster, the information is lost, this would be my least favorable choice IMHO

Last edited by onewizard; 07-22-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Explanation in How To

I have started this thread to enable those that have found recent stator failure and are in the process of converting from shunt to a series regulator, also burnt stator had a mix of posts some with technical help others with just photos. Since July 2017 posting using Photo Buckets has become a problem, new photos of failed stators are welcome, using other methods of posting photos.
So this thread is related to my testing method of measuring VAC at a fixed 2000RPM and the install of either series regulators, Polaris or Compu Fire and any others as they come available.
Many have either posted or PM'd me , requesting help and following up with what they did. Photos and text of what you did when converting to a Series Regulator is what this new thread is all about, I encourage you to post here.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi All!

Firstly big thanks for Onewizard for the patient replies, his inbox must be flooded with questions from the likes like me I imagine.

To share through my own experience of the Polaris series R/R install.

Firstly I bought my 2009 Versys second hand 2 months ago, and noticed that the mileage was around 63+k rpms, and I read up about the stators burning up around that mileage, so I thought better to get it checked.

I had never touched a multimeter in my lifetime, but this is really doable - maybe except for the crimping, I had an electrician colleague .

Performed the stator test before installing a new one as guided by Onewizard. Set RPMS to 2000K with idle screw, had 100rpm fluctuations because the bike needed a vaccum sync, but I ensured I took the highest readings during the RPM fluctuations. VAC generally read A, B, C read 19.5, 22, 24 - disheartened, it was really on the way out. Confirmed when the stator was pulled - Old stator was really burnt, badly in fact, two 5mm black burns on two winds, edge of stator, whew! performing the test definitely saved me a the unpleasant stranded situation by the road.

Thankfully early detection also saved me the battery, as it was still healthy at tests, so I knew I wanted the replacement done fast to preserve it, as it was new and a pricey german one:
14V @ 3kRPM
1.275V @ static
11.2V starting

Old stator was still charging, but twas a matter of time.

Bought a Polaris online, and requested specifically for the serial number to be shown, which verified the correct type, around 60 USD paid for it with shipping, was a gamble I was willing to take with the current prices of the R/R new.

As per Onewizards advice for electical skills challenged people, I also bought a Triumph harness, with shipping to Singapore was pricier than the full DIY option at around 22USD, but was a price I was willing to pay as I also wanted a robust waterproofing solution with the torrential rainfall we get here.

Had to ride across the border from Singapore to Malaysia as Kawasaki support in my country is horrible, got the stator changed, went directly went back to Singapore to the office to recruit my electrician colleague and began surgery work on the V.

First time taking off the fuel tank, took awhile to take apart the bike.

1) Disconnected the battery

2)Reached below the tank to tap the black to the grey wire at the center fuse box plug to remove the parasitic drain, spliced them and taped them up with electrical tape, capped the black wire.

3) Replaced the R/R, Snipped off the original, this took patience as the access to the screw to remove the R/R was limited, so small turns on my small wrench, but eventually got it off.

4)Triumph harness worked a treat. crimped the connectors to the original wiring with some butt splices bought from an electronics store, then heat shrunk them for waterproofing, black taped them individually, then another application of black tape around the 5 wires. capped off the unused earth wire. installed the new R/R. I plan to get some wire loom to reduce friction wear on the tape.

5)Prayed, then fired her up. Success! the Polaris wasn't a dud!
a)R/R test went well, all readings are in the 16VAC region, taken from behind stator side plug, sticking multimeter pins into the rear of of the connecter
b)New stator read at 24, 24.5,25, looking good!
c)With the Polaris, the battery is reading 14v @ 2k rpm and 14.2 @3k rpm. Success!

The peace of mind provided really is the best thing of all really.

I plan to install a Gammatronix 5mm LED volt meter to monitor the charging.

I might update the install on the forums. I supect that I might be able to install it on the dash without cutting as its mounting footprint is 65mm and the dash's push rivets mounting hole actually measures 60mm...so perhaps a friction fit might work.

So far been 120-130kms since the stator and R/R change, no problems!

Thanks again Onewizard!

Sorry for the lack of photos, did not document the process, but I will photograph my current connection and share.
onewizard likes this.

2009 V ABS - 80,00KM

LV Evo II | H&B Crash Bars | H&B Journey 55L | LED Voltmeter | PP Windshield Bracket | Puig Windshield w/ Multi Deflector | C&C Shorty Levers | Chaft Mirrors | Puig Rear Hugger | Series R/R | Vac Mod | Tooless Preload Adjuster | Snorkel Remove | EP Radiator Guard | BMW Grips | TS Tank Grips | LED City Lights | Contoured Seat

Last edited by widishi; 07-23-2017 at 01:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode