K&N 303 vs Hiflo 303 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kballowe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
K&N 303 vs Hiflo 303

What's our preferred oil filter on here? I have used the OEM ones and HiFlo 303 with no problems. I recently found a good deal on some K&N 303 oil filters, 3 for under 20 bucks. I always like to stock up and keep a few on hand so I ordered them. Anyone use the K&N 303? Happy with it?

Never winterize, ride year long!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Can't help ya....I've been using the same oil filter since 2010. Now on its 3rd bike...Buy Once Buy Right....

IMG_0115 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0122 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010571 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
K&N had a "bad" batch of filters in the last year or two. Moto America had a "ban" on aftermarket filters for a while...may still? The o ring surface was slightly smaller in diameter than it should be and resulted in leaks. Only saw one personally, but it did end a guys trackday, but luckily he and others didnt crash from the leak. Make sure to compare it to the one you remove and to the other 2. Other problems come from the nut, but those are user induced!

Brad, Suwanee Ga.
'09 V650, several others too!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 11:14 PM

Read and learn - MC filters are overpriced.

https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 11:18 PM

Garage
Years ago K&N was made by HiFlo same OEM quality filter only difference is the tack welded nut on top and the cost(and you do know the nut on top is for unscrewing the filter only not putting it on because it's not tack welded that good and can tear the top causing a leak) than K&N was sold to a low rate company in China and the quality went straight down the tube- HiFlo is still a very good filter- yes made in china but by a better company-been using them for years

Deep in Cajun Country

Last edited by motorboy; 07-11-2017 at 11:21 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 12:22 AM

Oil filters are not expensive. To me the safest thing is just replace with an OEM filter. It only cost me $10 and another $20 for the OEM oil and .29 for the crush washer. Don't over think the oil change.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Been using HiFlo's for years on multiple bikes. Nice quality and inexpensive. I had a PC Racing reuseable on my Harley. No issues but tired of cleaning. Sold it and went back to disposables.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop View Post
Been using HiFlo's for years on multiple bikes. Nice quality and inexpensive.
I just bought a new "batch" of HiFlo 303 filters. They look the same as the last batch. Cut one open (used) and still are very well constructed.

Gotta watch it though - sometimes a very well respected filter brand gets a new owner or new manufacturer and it's not the same anymore.

The HiFlo filters are motorcycle-specific and have been around a long time. I think I gave something like $5/each for box of 10 filters.

You can buy them in black or in chrome and with that nut on the end, or without.

quexpress likes this.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 03:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonversys View Post
What's our preferred oil filter on here? I have used the OEM ones and HiFlo 303 with no problems. I recently found a good deal on some K&N 303 oil filters, 3 for under 20 bucks. I always like to stock up and keep a few on hand so I ordered them. Anyone use the K&N 303? Happy with it?
I switch back and forth between Hifiltro and K&N depending on who is on sale at the time of purchase...like a few other posters here, I buy 3 or 4 at a time...Ive had no problems with either brand .

I always thought they were the same filters anyway...they look identical and they have the same part number....that cant be a coincidence...

2016 green V1K

Last edited by crosshairs; 07-12-2017 at 04:03 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I thought they were pretty close in quality. I just bought the three K&N because I got a good price on them. As often as I change my oil and filter I guess it really doesn't matter.

Never winterize, ride year long!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks all for the information. I'm about to do my first oil change (I'm a real boy!) and figuring out what's important and what's not can be tough. Lot of reading and learning to do. FYI Walmart.com has the K&N 303 filters for $5.97 each right now.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 12:49 PM

Stop spending so much money on tiny filters.

https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html#5

Use car ones, they have more capacity and the same specs, and are better at filtration then expensive rebranded MC filters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode