7Likes
  • 1 Post By crosshairs
  • 6 Post By twowheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Doh!, oil chainge

Changed oil yesterday. As I was pouring new oil into the funnel I noticed a small piece of the plastic/foil tear seal from the oil bottle make it's way into the funnel and down into the engine. Have since ridden 20km with no issues. Keeping my fingers crossed that nothing is going to blow up or oil passages plugged as there is nothing obvious you can do about this.

Anyone have any experience with this or words of wisdom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
you could drain and strain the oil and keep pouring it back in till the peace comes out

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Was it the entire foil seal from the bottle or just a tiny piece of it? If it's just a tiny piece, it probably isn't anything to worry about. Anything bigger and do what Silvifox says.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.

Last edited by james75; 07-07-2017 at 04:16 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Reminds me of my first car back in 1978 when I was 17 yrs old. An old Toyota with a hemi engine. The valves needed adjusting every oil change, 3000 miles or sooner. I dropped a non-magnetic nut down an open spark plug hole. The plugs had to come out to get the valve cover off, and so of course I managed to drop something in there.

So I had to pull the cylinder head off. I didn't have more than a cheap set of K-Mart wrenches, so I hopped on my bicycle and rode a few miles to a tool rental shop for a torque wrench. Then over to the dealer for a new head gasket.

The coolant had to be totally drained, but we had a gravel driveway...

When the cylinder head came loose, the remaining coolant hiding in the head dumped out, into the crankcase. Pretty soon most of the engine was laid out on the garage floor in pieces.

My words of wisdom to you would be to drain your oil and try to find that foil. It has probably already been chewed up by the pump and sent into your engine, but maybe you'll get lucky and find it. It may also be trapped in your oil filter already. Aside from that, I wouldn't disassemble anything further.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I believe the oil passes through the pump, then through the filter, and then into the engine. Maybe someone else knows for sure. Most likely the foil has been captured by the filter and is not an issue.

Still, I'm a bit of a paranoid fool, so I'd do a complete oil/filter change based on my limited knowledge of the exact plumbing.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If you've already ridden 20 km without incident, I'd say you are OK. If it is something that will worry you, change the oil filter and cut open the old one. I'll bet you find the foil on the dirty side of the filter. Cheap, easy, and will put your mind at ease.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 05:48 PM

Garage
Go with this advice! I have often wondered what I would do in the same circumstance... Keep us posted!

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Makes me glad i have one of these.....

IMG_0115 by weljo2001, on Flickr

First Oil Change 600 miles by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-07-2017 at 06:27 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 07:25 PM

Garage
The oil pump pickup tube has a screen on it, it won't make it any further than this. you can remove the pan and clean the pickup tube screen . page 327 of the service manual explains it quite nicely. my only worry would be how big it is, because if its big enough, it has the ability to block the oil pickup tube and from there it will get real expensive, real fast.
weljo2001 likes this.

2016 green V1K
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Doing a second oil/filter change tonight, on advice from this thread, and found the small piece of foil wedged in the tip of the funnel where it tappers down to a small opening. Fortunately found this cleaning the funnel before I drained the oil. Sigh of relief..... From now on I am going to be vigilant in completely removing the foil seals from oil bottles. Hope my tale of caution helps others avoid making the same mistake.

Thank you to all for your great input.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-07-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode