Spark Plug Change - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Spark Plug Change

I'm getting ready to change my plugs, just want to know if this is a pain in the @ss or not. Is there some thing I should be aware of. I've worked on older bikes before but these new ones look to have alot more high tech gadgets to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Reply to my own post, It wasn't to tough, Make sure your low on gas if you don't want to take the gas tank completely off, I just laid it over on a bar stool, dug out the air box, pulled out the old plugs which were definitely ready to go,put in the new ones with a little bit of never sieze,put some silicone grease on the coil stick boots, cleaned the air filter while I was there and put it all back together.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 04:45 PM

spark plugs

How many miles did you have on your bike when you changed the spark plugs? Also, what did the spark plugs look like? I have almost 10,000 miles on my bike and it idles a little ruff when I start it up and the bike's cold. I want to change my plugs to see if it takes care of the problem.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

I have nearly 10000 on mine and yes it was definetly time to change. The owners manual suggests you change them at 7500 mi. The gap appeared to be wider and slightly burned away. Your gap is probably like this causing the rough idle till she warms up. I noticed a difference after starting up with the new plugs.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 09:10 PM

spark plugs

Thanks for getting back to me about the spark plugs. I ordered mine today over the telephone from Advance Auto Parts and they will be in tommorrow. There a little less than $7.00 apiece which is probably alot less than the Kawasaki dealer sells them for.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 02:05 PM

I wonder if those fancy-smancy iridium plugs are better than the stockers?

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

States I've ridden in so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 02:20 PM

the OEM spark plugs are NGK iridium laser cut plugs - top of the line spark plugs. I changed mine in the last treatment at 7500miles and they looked brand new!
these spark plugs should last alot longer than 7500miles, and even double that!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 08:32 PM

spark plugs

I have 9,500 on my bike and decided to change my spark plugs today. I'll tell you one thing, if you decided to have this done at a dealer you probably will be spending big bucks. I'd say at least 2 hours of labor maybe 3 between taking everything off and putting it back together. That's if you want to clean your air box real good while you have it out. According to my Chilton's manual for my car my spark plugs show normal wear after 9,500 miles. The electrode may be worn down a little but that is it. The manual shows various spark plugs in various conditions and mine are ok with no signs of any engine problems. Now my air filter, that is a different story. I cleaned it after about 5,000 miles and then bought some filter oil in a can which is super sticky. Now I think it was a bunch of crap and that I should have just used some 50 weight oil on it instead. I don't see how my bike gets any air through the filter with this crap on it as sticky as it is. I'll see how it runs this weekend after I put the tank and stuff back on. Maybe I'll buy a new air filter. I'll have to see how the old one feels after it dries out.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You mean mostly the ground electrode (not center electrode) was worn?
4500 miles is enough for the air filter to get pretty dirty. It's normal for the sticky filter oil to have a buildup of sticky dirt on the surface, especially if you applied too much oil and/or didn't work it in the filter... I like using Maxima's synthetic Fab 1 super tacky filter oil with my Piper Cross foam filter for our dusty conditions.

I'd like to try Denso's Iridium Power IU27D spark plugs with 0.4 mm diameter iridium center electrode with inconel taper cut ground electrode, instead of NGK's 0.7 mm iridium center electrode and nickel taper cut ground electrode.
http://www.globaldenso.com/PLUG/power/features.html

IU27D (or IU27 -more available -same plug with removable 'nut' on threaded connector) is the correct replacement for NGK's CR9EIA-9:
http://www.globaldenso.com/PLUG/cros...e/1037_08.html
http://www.globaldenso.com/PLUG/pnch..._dp/index.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-New...spagenameZWD1V

It's also the original plugs in Suzuki's Hayabusa and B King 1340:
http://www.globaldenso.com/PLUG/topics/2007/10_1.html

Last edited by invader; 09-02-2008 at 12:52 AM.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 11:52 PM

spark plugs

To tell you the truth I don't know which electrode it is. I take it that it would be the center electrode. It's the part where it sparks in the middle that has the porcelain around it. It like comes to a point but so did the new ones that I bought. The point on the old plugs may be just a tiny, tiny bit sharper. They look pretty good though nothing on them at all. As far as the air filter I think I put to much of the spray stuff on them. After washing the filter in the sink and cleaning it the filter still feels tacky enough to put back in the bike. I just have to let the water dry out of it. But it's tacky enough as it is to trap any dirt or stuff that makes its way in the airbox.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 05:32 PM

Any body know what the gap should be on the plugs?

Live like tomorrow is your last day.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornrider View Post
Any body know what the gap should be on the plugs?
It is 0.36"
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 06:21 PM

Thanks! Why the good luck though?

Live like tomorrow is your last day.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornrider View Post
Thanks! Why the good luck though?
I found it's not your standard spark plug change like the bikes I am useed to.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 08:09 PM

The manual says to change tham at 7500? Wow I have 22,000 miles on my plugs in my CBR and they look new. The plugs in my car are supposed to be changed at 50,000 miles. Why is Kawasaki wanting you to change out iridium plugs so soon (iridiums are known for lasting forever)?

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 02:12 AM

The ground electrode does wear considerably faster than the center iridium electrode. They may last and function for much longer than 7500 miles, but they still wear and deteriorate gradually over time. Misfiring is very detrimental to the catalytic converter in the stock muffler... You should also make sure the coils are well grounded.

Last edited by invader; 12-31-2008 at 02:15 AM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 05:38 AM

Iridium Laser vs Iridium Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
The ground electrode does wear considerably faster than the center iridium electrode. They may last and function for much longer than 7500 miles, but they still wear and deteriorate gradually over time. Misfiring is very detrimental to the catalytic converter in the stock muffler... You should also make sure the coils are well grounded.
Hello Invader and others,

I am due to change my plugs according to the manual - having completed 24,000 kms now.

I came across a youtube video on replacing spark plugs here where the user says Iridium Laser plugs which are a step up from Iridium plugs by NGK provide a life of between 60,000 - 100,000 miles:

Question: Are the stock OE Plugs Iridium IX or Regular Iridium?

Here is what NGK says on their Facebook page (in a comparison to IX): This is a good question, the Laser series plugs are designed for a longer service interval of 100,000 miles or 160,934km. This has to do with it being a “DFE” or dual fine electrode; harder metals reduce the gap erosion process.

The IX series is a single fine wire, meaning that there is only Iridium on the center firing electrode, where as the Laser has this on the ground and firing electrode. IX are approximately a 50,000 to 60,000 mile service interval or 80,467km.

If our plugs are regular Iridium from the factory, then I guess their service intervals are even lower than the above two?
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 05:58 AM

9:40: "Would you believe it; They're exactly the same."

Your Versys 650 already came with NGK Laser Iridium CR9EIA-9 spark plugs, which have a small platinum disc welded flush in a recess on the backside of ground electrode... Kawasaki recommends replacing them every 12,000 kms, as stated in your owner's manual.
red liner likes this.

Last edited by invader; 04-30-2017 at 06:11 AM.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 06:03 AM

Don't forget to also inspect valve clearances and adjust if out of spec... Set idle to 1,300 rpm, then vacuum synchronize throttle bodies.

NGK CR9EIA-9 Laser iridium

NGK 6289 Spark Plug | RockAuto

Denso IU27 Iridium Power (with removable nut on threaded terminal stud)

DENSO 5363 Spark Plug | RockAuto
red liner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode