Strange noise from alternator cover/ engine - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Strange noise from alternator cover/ engine

Hi all...

Have a 2nd hand verys 2009 at around 69K kms on the clock, been riding around for a 2-3 months now and I love it!

However recently the bike has developed a strange squeak, It really sounds like a mouse.

I have tried to isolate it, Seems to be from 3 possible areas:

1) Alternator cover
2) Front of engine, behind headers
3) Front sprocket.

Engine still still smooth and not impacting drivability...the valves arn't particularly noisy or tappy..or silent..seems fine.

I have ruled out the brakes and suspension.

The sound is intermittent - It seems to correlate with vibration..

I had changed out the sprocket and the chain seems alright...So im am leaning to rule that out, if not for the case it seems to happen when the bike is on the move, clutched in or not. The sound is stronger with more vibration.. such as when I lug the engine then it will *Squeak Squeak Squeak* with the lugs.

The sound occured a day after I installed a new/old chain guide..but im not sure if releated.

Its really annoying! I can even slightly hear it at 90kM/h with a helmet on.

At standstill when I rev the engine, it does not occur, the only way I can recreate it stationary is when blip and release the clutch momentarily, there will be a short sharp squeak.

Any one got this before?

Unfortunately I do not have a paddock stand to test while stationary. .

Last edited by widishi; 06-27-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

OK, I think I was wrong, it could be the valves, but its intermittent still and only is present on the left side Top end. *Note the sharper clicking*

Heres a video : , somehow now it managed to come on at idle now.. anyone have any ideas? dosen't seem to sync fully with the valves timings, unless it's bent or something?

2009 V ABS - 80,00KM

LV Evo II | H&B Crash Bars | H&B Journey 55L | LED Voltmeter | PP Windshield Bracket | Puig Windshield w/ Multi Deflector | C&C Shorty Levers | Chaft Mirrors | Puig Rear Hugger | Series R/R | Vac Mod | Tooless Preload Adjuster | Snorkel Remove | EP Radiator Guard | BMW Grips | TS Tank Grips | LED City Lights | Contoured Seat

Last edited by widishi; 06-27-2017 at 02:55 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Ok, a case of solving my own problem, I bet its the exhuast chirp that seems common with the versys, managed to google to those relevant threads. Collective wisdom accumulated over the decade for the win.

2009 V ABS - 80,00KM

LV Evo II | H&B Crash Bars | H&B Journey 55L | LED Voltmeter | PP Windshield Bracket | Puig Windshield w/ Multi Deflector | C&C Shorty Levers | Chaft Mirrors | Puig Rear Hugger | Series R/R | Vac Mod | Tooless Preload Adjuster | Snorkel Remove | EP Radiator Guard | BMW Grips | TS Tank Grips | LED City Lights | Contoured Seat

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
mine makes the same kind of noise (08 with almost 40k miles) i just do my best to ignore it as long as the bike is performing properly

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Doesn't sound unusual to ME.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Haha yea I hope its nothing, just concerned as its newly developed, but I guess the versys is a kinda rattle-y beast

2009 V ABS - 80,00KM

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by widishi View Post
Ok, a case of solving my own problem, I bet its the exhuast chirp that seems common with the versys, managed to google to those relevant threads. Collective wisdom accumulated over the decade for the win.
Worth to check out the fitting on the exhaust...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Cause and effect-- if the noise stated after you changed the chain guide start from there.

Deep in Cajun Country
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Haha yea I hope its nothing, just concerned as its newly developed, but I guess the versys is a kinda rattle-y beast
could it be that it was there before but you didnt hear it over chain noise from the old parts there were replaced?

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Squeaky noise is emitted by stock muffler at speed under load... Engine noise at idle appears to be from excessive valve lash clearance. Inspect your valve clearances asap as you may also find some clearances that are insuficient.

Which type and grade of engine oil is in it, and how many miles since last oil change?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Squeaky noise is emitted by stock muffler at speed under load... Engine noise at idle appears to be from excessive valve lash clearance. Inspect your valve clearances asap as you may also find some clearances that are insuficient.

Which type and grade of engine oil is in it, and how many miles since last oil change?
I think you are right , the squeaky noise is not actually what I captured, but instead the valve lash noise which I confused as the squeak! horrors, I think its past due for valve lash and clearance too and a good vac sync. I should get that sorted ASAP.

currently use semi syn 40w, its still within 3000kms, but I intend to upgrade to fully syn when I change the stator next week.

2009 V ABS - 80,00KM

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Worth to check out the fitting on the exhaust...
I have actually, it seems all locked down from the joint to the cosmetic (ugly) ribbed end can cover, It could be from the headers that some have mentioned before by others, where its the header gaskets are leaking.

But I have an arrow exhaust on the way, which I hoped would sort that out. But the my dang local enforcement seemed to have caught on that an aftermarket pipe removes the cat and is barring my legal certification so my end can is in limbo now, and I can only look in envy at previous versys that managed to escape this :\. ( a fine here is around 500USD for running a non approved pipe)

The sound seemed to have quietened down, and I have got used to the squeak, I think of it as my V whistling happily lol. I hope my pipe can come through still somehow, or I guess I will have to pursue a refund on my deposit.

But that valve clearance needs to be done! I would DIY but I am afraid to botch it.

2009 V ABS - 80,00KM

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 02:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yeah, you just need to measure, and probably adjust your valve lash clearances... It's just "valve lash clearance", not "valve lash" AND "valve clearance". We're talking about just one thing here.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
...But that valve clearance needs to be done! I would DIY but I am afraid to botch it.
WHERE are you located (you can add it to your 'signature-line')?

It's possible that another inmate is nearby and can show you/ help you.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode