4Likes
  • 1 Post By quexpress
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 2 Post By darkmatter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
2015+ 650 battery terminal bolt replacement

Tried using the forum search function and came up empty so apologies if this has been covered.

Purchased a Yuasa 1 amp battery tender and am looking to install the leads directly to the battery on my 2016 650. Unfortunately the bolts that hold the battery terminal leads only engage for less than 1/2 a turn before being fully screwed down, which is making installing these leads extremely difficult. Is there a trick or do they need to be replaced with longer bolts? It seems odd Kawasaki would preclude adding any connections directly to the battery, I must be doing it wrong.

While on the topic of the battery and chargers - can I also get confirmation our bikes are negatively grounded, and the positive terminal should be hooked up first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmatter View Post
Tried using the forum search function and came up empty so apologies if this has been covered.

Purchased a Yuasa 1 amp battery tender and am looking to install the leads directly to the battery on my 2016 650. Unfortunately the bolts that hold the battery terminal leads only engage for less than 1/2 a turn before being fully screwed down, which is making installing these leads extremely difficult. Is there a trick or do they need to be replaced with longer bolts? It seems odd Kawasaki would preclude adding any connections directly to the battery, I must be doing it wrong.
Easy to do ... if needed, replace with slightly longer bolts.
Note: I have direct connections on mine (2015 650) for heated clothing, etc. but do not remember needing to replace these battery fasteners.

Quote:
While on the topic of the battery and chargers - can I also get confirmation our bikes are negatively grounded, and the positive terminal should be hooked up first?
Yes our bikes are negatively grounded. It is preferable to hook up the positive first when installing. When removing the connections, remove the negative one first.

Good luck!
aboyandhisversys likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I always take my battery bolt to Ace hardware and get several longer sizes in a Stainless Steel Allen Head Bolts. Heres a couple of spares below....

P1020002 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Buffalo_Bob likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 06-18-2017 at 02:57 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I hook a few goodies to my battery like a set of Powerlet Motorsports Jumper Cables, Stebel Nautilus Horn, C-tek power lead for a battery tender or 12v outlet, a second 12V outlet lead on the opposite side of the bike and probably a few things i forgot.....

https://www.amazon.com/Powerlet-PKT-.../dp/B00LB49SDY

P1010526 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010528 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010525 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I had the battery bolt problem as well when installing wiring for an auxiliary fuse block. It took some effort but I managed to get three ring terminals on each post using the original battery bolts: the bike's original battery leads, a lead for my trickle charger pigtail, and leads for the relay that provides power to the auxiliary fuse block. The next time I dive into that area, I plan to install some longer battery bolts to make it easier the next time I have to disconnect the leads.

The auxiliary fuse block is switched and allows me to add up to 6 circuits for electrical goodies that need to be switched (installation how-to HERE). Right now I only have one added circuit hooked to the switched fuse block and that is for my Gerbing heated clothing. Gonna be adding more circuits down the road for things such as a voltmeter, radar detector, etc.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If you add longer bolts (which I too did), be careful not to get TOO LONG a bolt. you'll drive the bolt threads right into the battery casing and you'll be buying a new battery.

Ask me how I know about this, I'll happily tell you a tell of woe and not-sufficient-attention-being-paid-to-the-task-at-hand...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the feedback everyone, found 6mmx16mm (10mm head) bolts at Lowes, added a washer + locking washer + the leads for the charger and it worked out fine.
weljo2001 and quexpress like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode