Front Stand - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Front Stand

I have a Venom triple tree front stand that has real problem getting the front wheel off the pavement. It does not lift the bike high enough. Any suggestions on stands that work on taller bikes like the Versys? Is there an add on part I can get?

Last edited by twowheels; 06-13-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Who made your stand? I have the T-Rex and have no issues.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have venom triple tree stand arriving this week, hope I don't have any issues with it. I will report back. Suggest you try a couple of 3/4" plywood runners under the lift wheels to raise the bike up a little higher.

JoH

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
...I have the T-Rex and have no issues.
Me TOO, and they (one in AZ and another in BC!) work GREAT!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Looking at the venom stand ...if you only need a couple inches you could probably make a longer top pin (doesn't hurt having a lathe in my garage).
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I have a Venom triple tree front stand that has real problem getting the front wheel off the pavement. It does not lift the bike high enough. Any suggestions on stands that work on taller bikes like the Versys? Is there an add on part I can get?
have you tried lowering the ground where the stand is? Just a thought.
RoaringTodd likes this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 02:07 PM

Garage
I have the front stand that uses pins that fit inside the holes of the bottom of the shocks. This is great for holding the bike securely, but I noticed that the pin on the left (looking at the bike) actually rubs on the pinch bolt of the axle so it ruins the threads on the pinch bolt! Then, if you back the screw all the way out of the shock, the bike drops down properly on the stand's pin but also prevents you from putting the pinch bolt screw back in while it's on the stand.... Avoid the Pin style front stand if you have a single pinch bolt at least.

I ride to get lost and find my way back.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The other issue is where to put that pin. The stearing bearing, under the rubber cap, is 1.5 inches in diameter. There is no hole that is pin sized anywhere on the Versys.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 04:49 PM

Garage
Spacer? I'm sure you can get creative in the hardware section
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
You need to get a Venom Motorcycle Triple Tree Headlift Lift Stand Attachment For Motorcycle Front Wheel Lift Stand (Pin Kit #2).

Note: It has the 27 m pin that is used on our Versys.

If you already have the triple tree stand, just order the Headlift Pins Kit #2 for Venom Motorcycle Triple Tree Headlift Lift Stand.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Last edited by quexpress; 06-14-2017 at 05:23 PM.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
You need to get a Venom Motorcycle Triple Tree Headlift Lift Stand Attachment For Motorcycle Front Wheel Lift Stand (Pin Kit #2).

Note: It has the 27 m pin that is used on our Versys.

If you already have the triple tree stand, just order the Headlift Pins Kit #2 for Venom Motorcycle Triple Tree Headlift Lift Stand.
Thanks for the help. It would appear I have the stand with the #1 pin kit. Had no idea there was a #2 pin kit. Just bought one on EBay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg head lift hole.jpg (90.1 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by twowheels; 06-14-2017 at 07:05 PM.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the help. It would appear I have the stand with the #1 pin kit. Had no idea there was a #2 pin kit. Just bought one on EBay.
You're welcome!
I too had the kit with the #1 pin kit ... and later ordered the #2 pin kit.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 06:48 PM

I Had a Venom stand. It was too low to lift the front of the bike. I could put a couple of short pieces of 2X4 lumber under the wheels made it work, but I returned it and bought a T-REX head lift stand. It works great and I was able to order it with a 27mm pin. It was $145 shipped and worth every penny.
BLACK DOG likes this.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 11:02 PM

I got my venom triple tree stand with pin kit 1. Several issues with the Venom stand.

1) My 2011 versys requires a 27mm pin, which comes with pin kit 2. The pin only aligns the stand so rather than spending another $20 for another pin kit I cut off a short piece of an old broom handle that just happened to be pretty close to 27mm. Drilled a hole in the center but not all the way through then glued it on to one of the pins that came with it.

2) The venom stand is too short so I needed to cut a couple of runners at least 2" tall to raise the bike high enough to get the wheel off the ground.

3) The bar arm that holds the pin makes contact with the headlight housing when you raise the bike on the stand. Does not seem to put enough pressure to damage the housing but I would prefer it not touching at all. My guess is this issue may exist with other triple tree stands on gen 2 bikes

I would not recommend this stand mainly because it is too short for the versys. I will add some pics later.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
I got my venom triple tree stand with pin kit 1. Several issues with the Venom stand.

1) My 2011 versys requires a 27mm pin, which comes with pin kit 2. The pin only aligns the stand so rather than spending another $20 for another pin kit I cut off a short piece of an old broom handle that just happened to be pretty close to 27mm. Drilled a hole in the center but not all the way through then glued it on to one of the pins that came with it.

2) The venom stand is too short so I needed to cut a couple of runners at least 2" tall to raise the bike high enough to get the wheel off the ground.

3) The bar arm that holds the pin makes contact with the headlight housing when you raise the bike on the stand. Does not seem to put enough pressure to damage the housing but I would prefer it not touching at all. My guess is this issue may exist with other triple tree stands on gen 2 bikes

I would not recommend this stand mainly because it is too short for the versys. I will add some pics later.
With pics I will keep the Venom stand for now but look for a TRex or pit bull triple tree stand at a decent price on craigslist. The build quality and stability of the Venom stand is OK at $68. If you buy this stand be sure to get the model that comes with the Pin Kit 2, so you don/t need to modify the pin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1386.JPG (69.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1387.JPG (78.3 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1388.JPG (83.7 KB, 62 views)
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by Jack of Heats JoH; 06-16-2017 at 09:55 AM.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
...3) The bar arm that holds the pin makes contact with the headlight housing when you raise the bike on the stand. Does not seem to put enough pressure to damage the housing but I would prefer it not touching at all. My guess is this issue may exist with other triple tree stands on gen 2 bikes

My T-REX stands, including the 'triple-tree' piece, work FINE on both my Gen 1 AND my Gen 3 650s..., and I HIGHLY recommend them...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:42 PM

The T Rex stand holds the pin raised above the support strut arm , where the Venom pin is mounted directly on the support strut arm. The T-Rex keeps the support arm below the headlight housing where the Venom arm comes in contact with the housing when the bike is lifted.

Another reason to look at T Rex as an alternative to the Venom.

JoH
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:31 AM

Well that sucks!

I had the venom stand on blocks to raise the bike enough to get the wheel off the ground. Was able to drop the wheel but could not easily remove it as I needed a little more height to clear the fender. I turned the wheel on an angle to clear the fender but the stand handle was in the way. While I was trying to wiggle the tire out I must have pulled a little too hard which pulled the stand handle back. The stand popped out and the bike came crashing down. The fender shattered with bits flying everywhere. Need to check for any other damage this morning.

The Venom stand will be up on craigslist today, $150 for a new fender, TRex stand on order. The venom stand experiment will have cost me at least $200 which is more than the Trex stand, not to mention the grief and fact I can't ride for a while longer.

Conclusion: Do not use the Venom triple tree stand for the versys, it does not fit properly save your money for a TRex or pit bull stand.

The Venom stand is not a bad stand but it just does not fit the versys.

JoH
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Well that sucks!

I had the venom stand on blocks to raise the bike enough to get the wheel off the ground. Was able to drop the wheel but could not easily remove it as I needed a little more height to clear the fender. I turned the wheel on an angle to clear the fender but the stand handle was in the way. While I was trying to wiggle the tire out I must have pulled a little too hard which pulled the stand handle back. The stand popped out and the bike came crashing down. The fender shattered with bits flying everywhere. Need to check for any other damage this morning.

The Venom stand will be up on craigslist today, $150 for a new fender, TRex stand on order. The venom stand experiment will have cost me at least $200 which is more than the Trex stand, not to mention the grief and fact I can't ride for a while longer.

Conclusion: Do not use the Venom triple tree stand for the versys, it does not fit properly save your money for a TRex or pit bull stand.

The Venom stand is not a bad stand but it just does not fit the versys.

JoH
I'm not sure you will get different performance from a different brand of stand as they are all the same height, and work the same way. About the only thing that varies is handle placement and quality of construction.

I have a Venom head lift stand and seem to have just resolved my issues by getting the 27mm adapter. It now works better than it ever has before. Front fender removal is only four screws. Any front stand can pull out like that if you are not careful, and when it does, it will collapse. The front fender shatters because of a difference in compression between the right and left fork legs when they land on the pavement.

The best solution is a hybrid stand (Venom and Pit bull both make them) that will lift from bottom of the fork legs, when changing tires, and lift from triple tree when doing fork work.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by twowheels; 06-18-2017 at 02:25 PM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 03:50 PM

Twowheels,

The venom stand did not lift my wheel off the ground without putting something under the stand wheels (2011 model), also I did not like the fact that the stand rubbed on the headlight housing. The TRex has adjustable height and the pin is mounted higher so the arm should not touch the headlight housing.

In the future I will remove the fender as you suggest, had I done that I would not have had the problem I did.

Curious does the 27mm pin look substantially different from the other pins except for being fatter. I tried to find a photo of the 27mm pin but all the phots I could find for the pin 2 kit showed the same photo as the pin 1 kit.

JoH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode