Glitch today during warm up, motor revving past 5k rpm on it's own - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Glitch today during warm up, motor revving past 5k rpm on it's own

When I started my bike tonight, the motor revved up much higher than normal. I gave a tad of throttle thinking the cable was stuck and it revved higher still. I looked around and found that the silver cam lobe on the right side above the FI (sub throttle servo perhaps?) was causing the bike to rev. The bike was also missing a bit. I restarted the bike several times, and tried to close the throttle by hand, but the servo was fighting me and twitching like mad when I pushed against it. I turned the bike off, and pushed the throttle closed, but when restarted it immediately revved past 5k again. I finally forced the servo back to the normal position with the motor running and very hot. I was rewarded with an error light that went away only after turning the key off and back on. I was a bit worried about this as I was getting ready to take my daughter for a quick ride. A servo suddenly taking the engine up past 5k rpm on it's own is not a good thing. It ran correctly for the rest of the ride.

I've got the service manual installed on my other PC, I'll have a look in a bit and figure out the correct technical terms.

Only mod done to the bike is the vacuum T, and it's still in place and secure. It almost seems like a position sensor was stuck or malfunctioning for a while. It's crazy that there's a servo that can automatically take the motor up WAY past it's warm up setting, the servo had plenty more room to turn and could have taken the motor up even higher. Engineers, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 09:26 PM

HMmmmmm i noticed my bike reved to 3 and i thought that was weird, but went away with a few throttle taps......i have the vaccume mod too.....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myorangecamaro View Post
HMmmmmm i noticed my bike reved to 3 and i thought that was weird, but went away with a few throttle taps......i have the vaccume mod too.....

Do your head pipes look more blue after the mod?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 10:32 PM

i noticed today some blue, but i never really examined them before the mod....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Bluing of the header pipes is normal and common. My Muzzy grade 304 stainless steel header pipes only got a slight golden hue:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ghlight=header

The fast idle cam is controlled by the sub-throttle actuator. Some have filed it down or disabled it to prevent excessive cold fast idle. There was a also computer glitch on earlier 2007 models.
The fast idle function can apparently be bypassed altogether by starting it before the instruments and sub-throttle actuator complete their resets:
http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=3156.0

Last edited by invader; 08-28-2008 at 12:54 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the links Invader. It had to be acting up, it's always run 2k or so when cold for a couple minutes, but this time it tried to run at 5. Seems like if I didn't shut it down it would have cooked itself, it got quite warm.

Looks like my headers are normal, I was worried maybe I had a lean condition.

I'll keep an eye on that servo and see what happens.

Luke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode