Left mirror vibration - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Left mirror vibration

I have not owned a vertical twin since the late 70's. My left mirror and handlebar vibrates like crazy while the right mirror maintains a clear picture. This happens more or less at all rpm's being worse at around 4 - 5k+ on the highway. My front tire is a Distanzia which is pretty cupped. I'm going to drop the front air pressure back to 32 and set all the suspension settings back to stock. I'm also going to check the spark plugs today, it's raining anyway. Any other thoughts? TIA alan

....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
right hand is gripping the throttle tighter is why it doesnt shake as much... the vibration i can tolerate (its a bike it shakes a bit) what i couldnt stand was the spinning at speed .....

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Not a grip issue as I hold the bars rather lightly using a paddle gadget on the throttle and a Kaoko throttle lock. Left mirror blurry, right mirror clear. Finger tips on left grip or clutch lever VERY buzzy. Finger tips on right grip anywhere, smooth no buzz. I also have bar end weights. I'm not expecting a Valkyrie (nickle trick) but I think the vibes would be even.... This is a new phenomenon, I've had the V since last July.
aboyandhisversys likes this.

"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcalan View Post
I have not owned a vertical twin since the late 70's. My left mirror and handlebar vibrates like crazy while the right mirror maintains a clear picture. This happens more or less at all rpm's being worse at around 4 - 5k+ on the highway. My front tire is a Distanzia which is pretty cupped. I'm going to drop the front air pressure back to 32 and set all the suspension settings back to stock. I'm also going to check the spark plugs today, it's raining anyway. Any other thoughts? TIA alan
What year is your V? I know that the '07 to '09 ones (Gen 1s) had that issue.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcalan View Post
Not a grip issue as I hold the bars rather lightly using a paddle gadget on the throttle and a Kaoko throttle lock. Left mirror blurry, right mirror clear. Finger tips on left grip or clutch lever VERY buzzy. Finger tips on right grip anywhere, smooth no buzz. I also have bar end weights. I'm not expecting a Valkyrie (nickle trick) but I think the vibes would be even.... This is a new phenomenon, I've had the V since last July.
Idiot stuff that I've used in past lives to cut down vibration:

a) reposition the switch clusters (i.e. change the angle of the switch clusters up or down vertically) to change the frequency of the vibration. You're seeing the end result of of sympathetic vibrations traveling up to the handlebars.

b) if there are bar weights on the bars, change the weights for heavier or lighter ones to change the frequency of the vibration. Remove the weights from the left, the right, and both to see if anything changes.

c) move the handlebars vertically up or down in the handlebar holder (guess why?)

d) visit a KLR or mo'sickle web site and look for mirror vibration isolators. This has the added benefit of moving your mirrors up and out slightly for better vision so you can see the texting soccer mom in her Suburban bearing down on you.

e) trash the mirrors and try another pair which may have different sympathetic vibration characteristics.

f) check your motor mounts for correct torque.

g) check your steering head nut for proper torque.

h) you already mentioned your tires are tired, and probably out of balance as well. not a large chance, but since you're eliminating vibration sources...

i) check to see if the left mirror is broken or loose in the mirror housing. Sometimes (rarely) they'll break internally.)

j) sell the mo'sickle and take up Corgi raising.

YMMV.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 10:44 PM

My harleys have mirrors that have a ball on the end of the stem that is made into a socket on the mirror. they don't have a screw to tighten them. of the 3 harleys I have the left mirrors have become loose in the ball and socket, requiring the mirror to constantly be readjusted when riding. I have not had any problems with the right mirrors. All of my harley friends have the same problem. In the video silvifox posted it is the left mirror that is loose and spinning. your problem is with the left mirror. What's up with left mirrors? Damn we have a mystery to solve. So far I have not had a problem with the mirrors on my 2013 versys, but it only has little over 6,000 miles.

Last edited by Skypilot 69; 06-08-2017 at 10:47 PM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 01:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Replace the OEM mirrors and ride on....
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
My '07 also vibrates more on the left side. I had replaced the OEM's with Aprilia Tuono mirrors after the stock left mirror vibrated the glass out. Better view (also have mirror extenders), but vibration is still evident. I lined the edge of the glass on both sides with a flexible caulking (can't recall the brand, it was recommended here) after I noticed the left side glass was also getting loose.

I can live with it: parallel twins do vibrate. Nothing is as bad as my old Matchless G80-CS, now that was a paint can shaker.

Last edited by Smiley; 06-09-2017 at 12:09 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
My '07 also vibrates more on the left side. I had replaced the OEM's with Aprilia Tuono mirrors after the stock left mirror vibrated the glass out. Better view (also have mirror extenders), but vibration is still evident. I lined the edge of the glass on both sides with a flexible caulking (can't recall the brand, it was recommended here) after I noticed the left side glass was also getting loose.

I can live with it: parallel twins do vibrate. Nothing is as bad as my old Matchless G80-CS, now that was a paint can shaker.
Which begs the question, WHY exactly a P-twin in bikes..They seem to have the most complaints of about any current motor in terms of vibration while not having any more longevity or better performance than v twins, triples or 4's?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Replace the OEM mirrors and ride on....
-

Quote:
My '07 also vibrates more on the left side. I had replaced the OEM's with Aprilia Tuono mirrors ....
Me TOO on my AZ '08 (and on my '09 ALSO!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Which begs the question, WHY exactly a P-twin in bikes..They seem to have the most complaints of about any current motor in terms of vibration while not having any more longevity or better performance than v twins, triples or 4's?
My Gen 3 650LT (2015) seems significantly smoother than the Gen 1s I had, and came w/ EXCELLENT mirrors from Ma Kawi.

Still and all - I LOVE my Vs - BOTH of 'em.

aemacleod likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

I have a 2011. Although the vibration is most noticeable in the mirror it's really the whole left bar, grip and all that is buzzy while the right isn't. I will try moving the switch clusters and bars. It IS weird how she went from the expected even buzz to the right side smooth and left mo' buzzy. I've also noticed if I grip the tank with both knees I can feel a vibration. That vibe may have always been there I just didn't notice until I started looking. It makes me think about the front tire cupping sending a vibration through the bike. Dropping the air pressure will get me more off the cupping with a larger contact patch. It will be ride and adjust one thing at a time for a bit. Thanks everyone for the input and ideas.

-Robert M. Pirsig
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 01:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Parallel twins are very compact, they generally have more torque than four cylinders, and are lighter than multi cylinder and V twin engines. Singles and certain V twins have more vibration, or at the least, a different frequency.

Our Versys, with their counter-balanced engines and 270 degree cranks, are nothing in terms of vibration compared to the twins of old.

I am not bothered in the least by the vibration (consider it character) and find it to be a very lively and responsive engine.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Front tire... cupped Distanzia. I've lowered the air pressure to 30psi cold and back to normal vibration levels, which are not very much. Tire had 35 psi and was riding the center of the tread where most of the cupping occurs. I aired the tires the end of April when I got back from Az and it was pretty cold up here. I think I'll try 29psi tomorrow morning. Time to think about a new front tire; I have on rear a ContiTrail Attack - 36psi. Thanks all for the ideas and comments.

Two years ago I came back from Az, got my '90 Concours on the road and thought I'd forgotten how smooth she rides. Yeah, at around <25psi both tires I guess it would ride kinda plush. I knew I was forgetting something....

-Robert M. Pirsig
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 09:48 PM

Garage
Has anyone tried the Doubletake Adventure Mirror which attaches to a RAM Mount?

A friend has them on his F800GS and loves them.

I am thinking of changing to them

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 09:17 PM

Garage
I'm no engineer and I've not notice this "left mirror vibrates more" phenomenon, but... In all the discussion about weights, I've not seen anyone point out that the front brake master is part of the right mirror mount carries lots more vibe damping mass than the clutch perch. Maybe something to it?
silviefox and quexpress like this.

Brad, Suwanee Ga.
'09 V650, several others too!
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 07:30 PM

Garage
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...1&d=1499210352

If you take the top part of the mirror arm off, you can tighten the bolt inside and the mirror will not spin. May not cure vibration, which I also do not have. Could the vibration be from ethanol? I usually run non ethanol.

I am not sure if the photo I tried to upload will show up. Couldn't upload iPhone video.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0127.jpg (17.6 KB, 55 views)

Living The Dream
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

On my two Gen 1s, the vibes were MUCH reduced when I put Aprilia Tuono mirrors on; my Gen 3 has BETTER OEM mirrors, however, there's STILL a slight amount of vibes in the left mirror, so, PERHAPS it is the brake-master reducing vibes on the right side....
quexpress likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 01:01 PM

Garage
I have installed a pair of the https://www.doubletakemirror.com/ and can report that I now have NO vibration.

The double rubber mounted Ram Balls do the trick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-08-05 16.02.03.jpg (66.0 KB, 43 views)

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
I have installed a pair of the https://www.doubletakemirror.com/ and can report that I now have NO vibration.

The double rubber mounted Ram Balls do the trick.
Makes a lot of sense. I'll look into these. Thank you.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Parallel twins are very compact, they generally have more torque than four cylinders, and are lighter than multi cylinder and V twin engines. Singles and certain V twins have more vibration, or at the least, a different frequency.

Our Versys, with their counter-balanced engines and 270 degree cranks, are nothing in terms of vibration compared to the twins of old.

I am not bothered in the least by the vibration (consider it character) and find it to be a very lively and responsive engine.
The Kawi 650 twin is a 180 degree crank. The 270 degree cranks are a fairly new thing and have basically identical sound and response characteristics to a 90 degree v-twin, which is why the FZ-07 sounds like a Ducati and the Versys sounds like a glorified dirt bike. 270 degree parallel twins are smoother which is why they are becoming popular. They are currently used on the FZ-07 and its variants, the Super Tenere and the Honda Africa Twin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode