5Likes
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 3 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By Durkbeef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Rear Preload for beginners. Can I just wing it?

Hey guys. tomorow morning I'm leaving on a weekend camping trip. and I've got plenty of stuff loaded onto the bike. I've never really messed with the preload settings on the bike, but at the moment it's sitting at the stock settings.

Is it stupid to just turn it about halfway to the end to try adjusting for all the weight added by the camping gear? Videos on youtube are all talking about jacking the bike up on a stand and taking measurements. I don't have any of that kinda gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkbeef View Post
Hey guys. tomorow morning I'm leaving on a weekend camping trip. and I've got plenty of stuff loaded onto the bike. I've never really messed with the preload settings on the bike, but at the moment it's sitting at the stock settings.

Is it stupid to just turn it about halfway to the end to try adjusting for all the weight added by the camping gear? Videos on youtube are all talking about jacking the bike up on a stand and taking measurements. I don't have any of that kinda gear.
Are you single on your camping trip? if you are the factory setting should be able to handle the load otherwise adjust as you ride..
kballowe likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
^^^^^^^^^ agree

No matter where you go - there you are.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
One quick way to check and adjust if you have the bike in a garage. Put the bike at the back of the garage with the door closed. Put all your weight on the bike with the headlight on. Mark or remember where the cut off of the low beam light hits the garage door. Add your gear and repeat. Adjust your preload until the light is in the same place.

Or, you can wait until you bottom out the suspension and adjust accordingly.

Have a great time!

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 08:37 AM

I wouldn't sweat it too much unless it starts feeling like it wants to run wide in corners, which is a sign the rear preload needs to be cranked up. If you do start playing with suspension settings, do it a little bit at a time, and note what the factory setting was and what you did and in what direction (I keep a note in my phone).

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey guys. thanks for all the advice! I'm leaving in about 5 minutes so I'll be able to test it out soon. I'm just gonna leave it at stock, and If I feel the rear end swinging out I'll adjust it by a few clicks. thanks so much!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
WRT rear preload I run with mine one notch below the default position, as i find default too firm,and rebound set to default. I am thinking about firming up my front suspension slightly.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
WRT rear preload I run with mine one notch below the default position, as i find default too firm,and rebound set to default. I am thinking about firming up my front suspension slightly.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Preload is used to keep you loaded bikes suspension close to the middle of the stroke so that it can do its job of keeping the tires in contact with the road. I don't know what weight the default is set for, but if you are below that weight then you should be reducing preload. That is why there is a process for setting the static sag on a motorcycle.

Rebound is adjusted based on the type of road you are riding on. That is one thing I truly loved about the Triumph Trophy. The electronically adjusted suspension was amazing! You could set preload for rider, rider plus luggage, or rider plus passenger plus luggage. Then you had a few settings for damping and rebound from rough roads to twisties. It was truly amazing!

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
As an update. I ran with the stock settings at it seemed ok. I am still using the stock tires which I can't stand, so I just ordered a rear PR3 tire and I will see if it helps at all as well.
Fly-Sig likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkbeef View Post
As an update. I ran with the stock settings at it seemed ok. I am still using the stock tires which I can't stand, so I just ordered a rear PR3 tire and I will see if it helps at all as well.
Thanks for the update. Have a safe trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode