Will a GPS mounted on the instrument cluster cowling die by vibration? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By silviefox
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Fastoman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Will a GPS mounted on the instrument cluster cowling die by vibration?

I want to fabricate a mount that will be attached to the instrument panel cowling and with brackets extending above the instrument dial to hold the actual GPS (Nuvi 57LM).

The bracket immediately attached to the cowling will have a hard foam/soft rubber spacer between it and the plastic cowling itself (the consistency of a pencil eraser) to alleviate any vibration.

I have read many posts stating that area has a lot more vibration than other common mounting points like the handlebars or bar clamps.riser, etc. Some posts hint that it will kill/has killed electronic equipment.

Has any one has experienced equipment failure that they can directly connect to the vibration issue?

Any other thoughts, other than telling me to mount it somewhere else? The alternative is to mount it to the windshield, but I use 2 - a touring and the shorty.

Tks All!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Yes, I find the micro USB connection a lot of devices use to power them, is very susceptible to fail or have intermittent power, with vibration. I have had two GPS's fail from this issue. On was a Garmin Nuvi.

Lately I have been using my phone instead, in an X Mount that uses rubber holders, and have not had this issue so far, although I need to tape the USB plug to the phone to keep it from falling out with vibration.
GoodMoGo likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i have a first gen and my phone/gps mount is on a brace i made that goes on the windshield mount (just a peace of perforated sheet metal that goes across the two mounts) has a bit of vibration but ive never had my phone or gps move and i can still easily read it and poke the screen to change settings with gloves still on.......so its not moving that much
GoodMoGo likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
SO FAR - my Nuvi550 shakes like 'heck', but still keeps on tickin'....

GoodMoGo likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Speedy makes GPS mount bracket for Versys and I have been using since 09.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Speedy makes GPS mount bracket for Versys and I have been using since 09.

Ditto.....

IMG_0780 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010559 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Gen 2 only info:

Speedy doesn't make a mount for gen2 above the dash, but Touratech does (https://touratech-usa.com/Motorcycle-GPS-Adapters?a=548) as does a Thailand manufacturer (look for Joey Rocket Films post Zombie Apocalypse), both of which mount in the windscreen holes.

I mounted a RAM ball on the plastic shroud under the windscreen, reinforced on the back with epoxy, matting and a steel fender washer - but it still shook like crap making me worry I'd break it. You could, in theory, add some Velcro along the bottom to better isolate it, and I might try that with some foam rubber - squish it into the foam and tighten the RAM arm. I have a nuvi 2595, not the bike-specific zumo.

I do have a bar-mount RAM cradle, and the device seems to be fine after about 4,000 miles of which about 1,000 is off road and bumpy. If it dies, there's plenty of used car GPS. Zumo still pretty spendy, even used.

Anybody got any other ways of mounting GPS above the instruments on gen 2?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

@weljo2001

Thanks for the pics!!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

@PHX_Joe

Thanks for the info. I had come across those TOURATECHs but I'll keep tankbagging it rather than give someone $90+ for a piece of metal.

I might reconsider being so cheap if my fabrication makes me loose a couple of Garmins (I bought a used one from Craigslist for $40) for the bikes. And I pair it with a portable battery bank. Not sure how long it powers the 5" Nuvi 55LM. I rode for about 3 hours, then forgot it on, in the tank bag, for another 12 - 14 hours. Was still powered and looking for a satellite signal (not sure how much that affects battery consumption).

I'll try to document the fabrication and its results (if good) and post back.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Here's my setup, using a Moto Werk generic GPS mount. It's now almost five years old and the GPS is still going strong.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 01:39 AM

Garage
Nice, can U take a foto from back side, to see how it looks like.?

Wysłane z mojego SM-A500FU przy użyciu Tapatalka

BMW F650 -> Versys 650 '97
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 07:27 AM

Garage
My friends Cell Phone mounted in the RAM Mount suffered vibration damage. Now the LG phone's speaker always has a low hum and the rear camera is toast. Front camera still works so all he can take are selfies.. My original Garmin ETREX died from vibration, and my 2 year old Garmin Nuvi has frozen, while in use, and needed a full reset.

I ride to get lost and find my way back.

Last edited by Thaylin; 06-02-2017 at 07:30 AM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 01:43 PM

I have killed a few gps over the years on diferent motorcycles
2 old etrex
3 car model nuvis
my current gps a zumo 590 is holding up well so far
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I could not get my Garmin nuvi's to work reliably on a motorcycle. The vibration always caused problems with the USB power connection. This happened on two different bikes, on two different mounts (garmin cradle mount and a RAM X-mount). I now use a Zumo and have no issues. I have my zumo mounted above the instrument cluster (Gen 3) on an sw-motech mount.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Here's a pic of the back of my Garmin Nuvi550 mounted on my Gen 3.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode