Gas tank sings or whistles - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gas tank sings or whistles

My Versys 650, 10.000 km old now, produces a sound that increasingly irritates me. It seems to come out of the gas tank, but probably the source is beneath the tank. The frequency is high (8000?) at idle speed and becomes a little higher when the engine runs faster. At speeds above 50 km/h or so it is masked by other noises, but at a red light it is clearly audible.
I cannot tell if the squeak has been there from the beginning and I noticed later (it's not a bug, it is a feature?) or if it came up a while ago.
Is that a known issue, does one of you have experience with it?
klaser53 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:23 PM
Member
 
invader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,842
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Is it constant?
invader is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:28 PM
Member
 
silviefox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: welches, oregon
Posts: 3,139
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
can you get a video of it

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
silviefox is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator
 
Fastoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 7,040
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
could it be from the meter consul. You can try using a different setting on the mode button...this is source of the noise you have describe. Only noise from the fuel tank is the fuel pump , which if faulty will produce constant noise. Your has different pitch at different RPM. It may not be from the fuel tank.

The next time you take a ride try holding or pressing down on some of the part that may produce the noise..may help in locating the source.

Keep in touch and thanks for sharing.
Fastoman is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Reading, Pa
Posts: 700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Does it stop if you open the gas cap?

Last edited by turn8a; 05-16-2017 at 08:21 AM.
turn8a is online now  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,188
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I would put my $$$$ on my old thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaser53 View Post
My Versys 650, 10.000 km old now, produces a sound that increasingly irritates me. It seems to come out of the gas tank, but probably the source is beneath the tank. The frequency is high (8000?) at idle speed and becomes a little higher when the engine runs faster. At speeds above 50 km/h or so it is masked by other noises, but at a red light it is clearly audible.
I cannot tell if the squeak has been there from the beginning and I noticed later (it's not a bug, it is a feature?) or if it came up a while ago.
Is that a known issue, does one of you have experience with it?
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...hlight=running
onewizard is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:08 AM
Member
 
Naitramde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
If it is the fuel pump, it would make the noise for 3 seconds when the ignition is turned on. One test would be to, when you hear the noise, turn off the engine and then immediately turn the key back on. See of the noise comes back for 3 seconds.

Ed

2011 Versys 650

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent... Proverbs 17:28
Naitramde is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hot Springs, SD
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
Does it stop if you open the gas cap?
My Versys does this but only when shut down............tank is venting pressure. Try running it with the gas cap open. With the Kawasaki Vulcan (maybe the same design) you could take the cap apart and shorten a small spring and it wouldn't whistle so bad. I just put a louder exhaust on it.
Duffy is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Is it constant?
Yes, it ist constant.

Last edited by klaser53; 05-18-2017 at 06:06 PM.
klaser53 is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
Does it stop if you open the gas cap?
No, it does not stop. (It took me a week to find the spare key.)
klaser53 is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:21 PM
Member
 
invader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,842
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So isn't it just the fuel pump? When can you let us hear it?
invader is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
My Versys does this but only when shut down............tank is venting pressure. Try running it with the gas cap open. With the Kawasaki Vulcan (maybe the same design) you could take the cap apart and shorten a small spring and it wouldn't whistle so bad. I just put a louder exhaust on it.
Thanks, but running it with the gas cap open did not change the sound.
klaser53 is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
So isn't it just the fuel pump? When can you let us hear it?
I made a video. But since I did not even succeed in posting a photo I will have to find out how to post attachments. All I get is "thumbnails attached".
klaser53 is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
could it be from the meter consul. You can try using a different setting on the mode button...this is source of the noise you have describe. Only noise from the fuel tank is the fuel pump , which if faulty will produce constant noise. Your has different pitch at different RPM. It may not be from the fuel tank.

The next time you take a ride try holding or pressing down on some of the part that may produce the noise..may help in locating the source.

Keep in touch and thanks for sharing.
Thanks. I changed the modes, no change. If the fuel pump is faulty, will it "die" sooner or later?
klaser53 is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:56 PM
Member
 
silviefox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: welches, oregon
Posts: 3,139
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaser53 View Post
I made a video. But since I did not even succeed in posting a photo I will have to find out how to post attachments. All I get is "thumbnails attached".
upload video on to youtube and then link to the video

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
silviefox is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:41 PM
Member
 
invader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,842
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Only a dead pump is silent.
invader is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Only a dead pump is silent.
Right, but the question is whether Kawasaki used an annoying pump, or if it is somehow faulty and will be silent sooner or later.
klaser53 is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:19 PM
Member
 
invader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,842
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
We have yet to witness your alleged noisy fuel pump... Could you produce a video with audio?
invader is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Video uploaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
upload video on to youtube and then link to the video
Here it is:
klaser53 is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 08:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Lovely, Metropolitan North Idaho
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This sounds like there's an air leak, most likely the tank vent. There may be plugged lines and/or the overflow canister. The service manual should give you an idea what plumbing you may need to snake...
aboyandhisversys is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome