2Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By silviefox

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Why would you change sprockets?

Why would you change sprockets?

Was reading some of the How-To section and not sure I understand why you would change the sprocket?

For me personally, I feel like 1st gear on my 2015 1000 is really harsh and I wanna be out of it quick. 2nd is meh. 3rd is your girl if you wanna go fast real fast. 6th seems like my RPM is pretty high at 80mph for such a strong bike.

Is changing the sprockets out meant to resolve these kinds of things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Yes. If you go the correct way you lower the RPMs at a given speed.

On dual sport bikes that are mostly used in the woods people go the opposite way to gain more grunt in lower gears.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

On dual sport bikes that are mostly used in the woods people go the opposite way to gain more grunt in lower gears.
Could you smooth out 1st gear this way? If so, what would you need to do?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:10 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
changing your sprockets will change your gear ratio..putting a smaller front and or larger rear sprocket will give you more acceleration putting a larger front sprocket and/or smaller rear sprocket you will gain more top speed

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Then there's the best reason for changing a sprocket.............it's worn out.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Changed my rear sprocket from OEM to 43 teeth for two reasons. First, to lower RPM at highway cruising speed and, second to match my speedometer reading more accurately with my GPS (now within 1/2 mile per hour). Those are good enough reasons for me, but that's just me.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 05-10-2017 at 11:27 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Changing sprockets simply changes the shift points. It does not give you more or less power because there is also a 6 speed transmission involved. Unless you ride in unique conditions it is hard to outguess the engineers that designed the bike and carefully selected the optimum final drive ratio. For instance giving the bike taller gearing will also force earlier downshifts when you need to accelerate or climb a hill, and higher RPMS in these situations because of this. There is no magic unicorn solution that gives you more power or better economy through out the speed range, only solutions that can offer an improvement at one speed but at the cost of degraded performance at another speed.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-10-2017 at 10:55 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
changing your sprockets will change your gear ratio..putting a smaller front and or larger rear sprocket will give you more acceleration putting a larger front sprocket and/or smaller rear sprocket you will gain more top speed
NOT quite true...."...a larger front sprocket and/or smaller rear sprocket..." WILL reduce your RPMs at a given speed, but will ALSO PROBABLY reduce your top speed, as your power peak comes now at a speed you can NOT get to (in 6th gear).
Lours_Polaire likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:14 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
NOT quite true...."...a larger front sprocket and/or smaller rear sprocket..." WILL reduce your RPMs at a given speed, but will ALSO PROBABLY reduce your top speed, as your power peak comes now at a speed you can NOT get to (in 6th gear).
true...
i was kinda just giving a veg term that is true in any gearing .. a small drive gear and/or large final drive gear at the final gear you will get more torque but loose speed from the drive gears point and if you have a larger drive gear and/or smaller final gear you will loose torque(acceleration in alot of ways) but gain speed at the final drive...
fascinating stuff... almost as fascinating as pulleys
Lours_Polaire likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I changed to a 16T Front Sprocket on my Versys 650 was quite happy with it that way. On the Versys 1000 I've left it alone i think a 16T on the front would help some but so far I'll just leave it the way it is. Quite a few guys on the Versys 1000 forum have made the change...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackImpact View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

Could you smooth out 1st gear this way? If so, what would you need to do?
I have only gone the other direction on my small displacement dual sports. Quicker acceleration, the ability to loft the front tire over an obstacle, as well as being able to use more gears in the woods so as to not wear out 1st and 2nd gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode