T - Rex Engine Guard Installation Tips? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By silviefox
  • 1 Post By buildbigboats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
T - Rex Engine Guard Installation Tips?

I have ordered the T-Rex engine guard kit including front axle sliders for my 2011 Versys.

Would like to know if there are any tips you can offer regarding the installation, product reviews are reasonable but like with other brands of engine guards I understand the installation instructions are minimal.

Any suggestions or tips for the installation of these will be appreciated.

JoH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
read the directions 3-8 times, then read them agian,then make sure you have every nut bolt washer and tools that you will need and lat them out in the order you will need them, then just take it one step at a time... take lots of pics or video and share the fun with the rest of us
whiting57 likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I installed a set of their guards on my 2009 last summer. Had 2 issues. Neither were major or insurmountable but a bit disappointing. I've attached a photo of final condition to help explain what I encountered/did. I did do a dry run assembly of everything on bench prior to wrenching on bike and that was when I came across the following:
1.) The right & left guards join under the pipes. On the set I received the clearance holes in the guards would not line up with the tapped holes inside round bar. Clearance holes were too far from ends. I had to trim a bit off the ends of each guard to allow everything to line up. Intentionally left a bit of a gap allow for wiggling fitup.
2.) Had to elongate slotted holes on small brush guard to allow the bracket clamps to be on the outboard sides of the guard joining bolts. As received the clamps fell on just about the same location as joining bolts.

Used rattle can rust-oleum to paint exposed metal.

As usual...lay everything out, talk yourself through each step, have all tools and supplies on hand before starting and leave everything loose until fully assembled, bolts in/aligned.
Good Luck..Happy Trails
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170505_113644241.jpg (51.3 KB, 89 views)
aemacleod likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 09:52 PM

Garage
I just received a set for my 2017 650. Probably slightly different, but I am taking the day off on Tuesday and will install it after checking the fit. I'll try to take some pics and post it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
read the directions 3-8 times, then read them agian,then make sure you have every nut bolt washer and tools that you will need and lat them out in the order you will need them, then just take it one step at a time... take lots of pics or video and share the fun with the rest of us
when I went to install my motech bars, I did the above, then I could not un tighten the OEM bolts ... I took mine to the dealer to install ... $78 including tax and it included installing my 16 tooth front sprocket. I'm gonna do the same for my motech center stand which just arrived ... I would rather be riding than wrenching LOL.

And as I flipped into 6th, I could not remember a damn thing she said ....
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 08:06 AM

Install on my 15 took about 2hours. Read the instructions a few times but they are straight forward. Add everything and leave loose, then tighten in sequence order.

My only issue that I had was the retorq of the engine mount bolts and I tried to searched online to find the proper torq spec and just guessed. Also use BLUE lock-tight on the bolts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170318_102101 (1)(1).jpg (95.1 KB, 56 views)

Jim
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims15LT View Post
...My only issue that I had was the retorq of the engine mount bolts and I tried to searched online to find the proper torq spec and just guessed. Also use BLUE lock-tight on the bolts.
There's a link on this site to get the SERVICE MANUAL in digital form.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 10:14 PM

Installed a set of T-Rex crash bars on my 2017 650 LT with no major issues. Great looking bars and look like they will do the job they were designed for. The only problem I have with them and with T-Rex engineering is the fact that the diameter is approx 13/16" and no one I can find makes a set of highway pegs or clamps that will fit. I talked to a salesman at T-Rex about the fact that they should make some highway pegs that fit the crash bars that they manufacture. He said that he would relay the message to engineering, but I haven't heard anything since. If anyone knows where I can find some I would appreciate the info.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 10:40 PM

Bullet I'm in the same boat as far as looking for pegs. I ordered this pair off ebay and I'm hoping I can shim them into fitting tight enough to work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (21.6 KB, 17 views)

Jim

Last edited by jims15LT; 05-09-2017 at 10:44 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:27 PM

I ordered a set of brackets off ebay and tried to shim them but they wouldn't stay in place. T-Rex is missing the boat not making pegs for their own manufactured bars. It would be a captive market.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:46 PM

I installed the T-rex crash bars as well. The install was pretty straight forward, the only thing of note I guess is to remove only one engine bolt at at time (duh) and then torque back according to the shop manual, blue loctite every bolts. Everything was where it was supposed to be, didn't have to tinker anything to make it fit.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woots View Post
I installed the T-rex crash bars as well. The install was pretty straight forward, the only thing of note I guess is to remove only one engine bolt at at time (duh) and then torque back according to the shop manual, blue loctite every bolts. Everything was where it was supposed to be, didn't have to tinker anything to make it fit.
(2011 Versys) Installed T-Rex engine guard and front sliders that came with it. Pretty strait forward install but a few notes.

Instructions state RED loctite on engine bolts, blue on all other bolts. Loctite takes 24 hours to fully cure so best to not ride it during that time.

Allen bolts for the tube bracket clamps were a bit of a challenge to tighten, the engine guard tube is in the way making it difficult to use an allan socket or 90 degree allen key.

Service Manual states to tighten left engine bolt first 32 ft lbs then right side, not sure why this makes a difference but is specifically noted in the manual.

Left side is fine but fairing on the right side guard just touches the fairing, didn't notice until all done. I suggest placing a couple of strips of the foam that was used to wrap the bars between the guard and fairing before you tighten all the bolts, this should keep things aligned.

Overall really happy with the built quality of these guards, top quality hardware, everything lined up during install.

JoH
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiting57 View Post
when I went to install my motech bars, I did the above, then I could not un tighten the OEM bolts ... I took mine to the dealer to install ... $78 including tax and it included installing my 16 tooth front sprocket. I'm gonna do the same for my motech center stand which just arrived ... I would rather be riding than wrenching LOL.
Good call. I took my bike recently and had them install the lowering peg blocks and the rear brake pedal lowering nut by Moto Werks. It took them 40 minutes and the bill was only $54. Money well spent saved a lot of F bombs on my part. I'll do chain lube, cleaning, adjustments and oil and oil filter change. My local dealership will do the rest. They are pretty cheap and user friendly as well as quick!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode